Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My school gym removed all DBs over 85 lbs bc they promote an intimidating atmosphere

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Couple things...

1) Every generation thinks the one ahead of it is getting worse and worse. We all have grandfathers and can attest to this (In MY day, you ate dinner with the family, not in front of the TV!!). That being said, I think the point of the coming generation is there are more extremes. For every sports league you have that doesnt keep score, you have another thats super hardcore and pumping out NFL atheletes from the time their 7 (well maybe its not 1-1, but you get my point).

2) So far I haven't heard any solutions to these sorts of problems, besides just finding a new gym. Despite how good it may make you feel, calling all of these people bitches or pussies, or running around slapping everyone high fives isn't going to allow you to lift at your school gym (for free, may I remind you). So here is my 2 cents. For one, not everyone lifts weights as a sport, and you cant blame them for being ignorant. Just as I play basketball for fun and recreation, some people just want to lift to look a little better or be a bit healthier.I'm sure they think I look like a wuss trying to throw up a layup (incorrectly I'm sure) or a total idiot when I try to dribble, just because in the end I don' really give a damn about basketball or really read about it. Its fun and its a social activity, my interest stops there. The gym is very simliar--most people DONT' want to lift weights, they just want to be healthy. Its hard to blame them to much for being ignorant. So obvious their going to be intimidated because not only are they ignorant, but you're putting complete newbies side by side to pros. When I step on the basketball court next to some guys who are pretty damn good, even I feel a little intimidated. I'm sure its even worse when the sport involves moving massive weights, slamming things around, yelling, etc. . At the end of the day I think these people are complete wussies just like the rest of you, I'm just trying to put things in perspective. Its hard to blame someone to much for trying to be healthy, even if they're doin it wrong.

So part of what I do is try to be nice to most of these people.. If the only interaction someone has with you is you slamming around weights, no **** they're going to be intimidated. Say hello, offer to spot, offer to give advice (nicely), etc. I'm real nice to everyone in the gym until its time to hit my set, and I basically just zone everyone out. By this point they're more impressed than intimidated, and I get to smash weights like I want.

I know some of you on the more dave tate side of things will say some **** like I DON'T GO TO THE GYM TO MAKE FRIENDS, I GO THERE TO SMF. Thats fine, but realize that having no regard for the people around you makes you antisoscial, and they will think you're an ******* for it.also the management won't like this either, which of course makes them complete pussies, but also realize that these pussies decide whether or not you get to lift weights there.at the end of the day the guy with a 2200 pound total pays just as much as the guy who dicks around ont he treadmill the whole time, so can you really blame them to much for giving the pussies priority? They're trying to keep customers and make money (really what they should be doing is de-pussyfing the gym crowd and teaching them how to lift, but thats a whole nother story). If this really isn't your style, you could talk with them about a time youc ould come when its OK to lift heavy like at in the morning or at night or something. Or just join another gym.
    y so srs?
    Technically, the school gym isn't free, its paid for by the student fees that are buried in the tuition. These generally can't be refunded for non-use (although Missouri State recently talked about doing optional fees for building a new center).

College is all about taking personal initiative. They wer eremoved because people complained through the right avenue in the right way (or they were "out of space"). You can try the same way by providing signatures, evidence of benefits, etc. If not, maybe they can open up another, more "advanced" weight room or allow students in the athletes room under certain conditions. If they were out of space, provide a suggestion as to less effective, larger machines that could be moved/removed and go that route.

Worst case ,as been stated, find somewhere else to train, maybe a garage gym/basement somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    A Gold's Gym that bans deadlifting? wtf is wrong with this world?

I would demand a refund if they pulled that crap.
    Yeah, no dropping the weights and no chalk. I was going to train at one because it was close to where I was staying but decided against it ("It didn't meet my needs as a consumer" aka "Your gym f**king sucks"). They advertised laser eyebrow removal in the men's change room.
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I think you should walk into the middle of the gym, drop your pants and underwear (if you wear any), subsequently point to your crotch and scream,

"Will you ban my 110 lb dumbbell? Does it promote an intimidating atmosphere?!?" Then start swinging around your massive python and take out as many gym workers as you can. If possible, bang the hottest chick in the gym in the power rack or using the dip bar.

I award bonus points if you can somehow nail the power rack threesome (MFF or MMF whatever you're into), you actually kill a dude with your dick, or you hear someone around you use the phrase "adamantium nutsack."
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    I think you should walk into the middle of the gym, drop your pants and underwear (if you wear any), subsequently point to your crotch and scream,

"Will you ban my 110 lb dumbbell? Does it promote an intimidating atmosphere?!?" Then start swinging around your massive python and take out as many gym workers as you can. If possible, bang the hottest chick in the gym in the power rack or using the dip bar.

I award bonus points if you can somehow nail the power rack threesome (MFF or MMF whatever you're into), you actually kill a dude with your dick, or you hear someone around you use the phrase "adamantium nutsack."
    this
    My Journal My FatDay

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post

good god wtf is wrong with you.

I concur.

Thought I'd bump this back up after reading this article today.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-274799

Ties right in with what RBB was talking about.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post

You've got to be kidding me?! Jay, I am once again disgusted, brother!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    bwuahaha that is terrible. What a bunch of sissies.

"We will play them at HALF SPEED." WTF...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post

Just to balance this pathetic crap out with some awesome, there is an article on the same site about an Illinois team that has yet to allow a single point in 6 football games. I know this school as it's just north of Chicago and features the son of Washington Redskins player Phillip Daniels, who also happens to be partial owner of a great powerlifting gym near Vernon Hills called Monster Garage Gym.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-274790
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

ahahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAhaha that is sad

OP from France or something?
    Last edited by hellagrant; 10-22-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    ahahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAhaha that is sad

OP from France or something?
    no, Colorado. It's in my info . . .