The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member jds 82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    69

    question on milk and eggs

    i recently read an article on milk and eggs and it kind of said that it can lead to cancer? is this thru? it was egg substitutes/ free rage would be a better choce and rice/ soye milk would allso be a better choce? now is this thru cause i all ways have eggs in the morring and i am starting a bluk which has at least 5 glasses of whole milk a day in it, but i dont want to be sorry for this down the road? i all way thought that these were good for ya?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    THE 800 QUEST NickAus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,651
    I hope not cause I have drunk a heck of a lot of milk since I was 13 years old.........1-2 liters in the day and a liter at night almost every day for 17 years.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

    Captains of Crush #3

    Building Mighty Mitts...

  4. #3
    THE 800 QUEST NickAus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,651
    And no I am not being a smart ass.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

    Captains of Crush #3

    Building Mighty Mitts...

  5. #4
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,374
    I have never heard this. Are you able to link us to the article?

  6. #5
    big on TONING dynamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    1,219
    I've been on the almost GOMAD diet for the better part of a decade. I practically piss milk. show me your proof witch lest ye be tossed in the Thames for the legendary Narwhal!
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    You can basically find an article showing negative effects of any food so take it with a grain of salt. There is soo much pseudo science out there and articles written just to be written it doesn't mean you should stop eating eaggs or drinking milk. You also have to look at the source , type of research, etc.....

  8. #7
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,713
    Milk is magic.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    323
    Theory is that milk ingestion leads to increased igf levels in the body which have been associated with an increased risk of cancer i.e. some people with cancer have been found to have higher than normal levels of igf-1 and other insulin like growth factors. No causal link has been found though i.e. increased white blood cell count is associated with infection but is not the cause of.

    So it's not proven whether increased igf causes cancer and even if it did there's not much out there to suggest that drinking milk even raises igf in the first place.

    Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009;60 Suppl 7:330-40. Epub 2009 Sep 9.

    Milk consumption and circulating insulin-like growth factor-I level: a systematic literature review.
    Qin LQ, He K, Xu JY.

    Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Radiation Medicine and Public Health, Medical College of Soochow University, Suzhou, China. qinliqiang@suda.edu.cn

    Abstract
    Studies suggest that the circulating insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) level is positively associated with the prostate cancer risk. The association of milk consumption and circulating IGF-I level has been examined in epidemiological studies with inconsistent results. We conducted a systematic literature review to summarize and quantify the current evidence for milk or dairy product consumption and the circulating IGF-I level. We searched relevant papers published in English up to March 2009 in various databases. Fifteen cross-sectional studies and eight randomized controlled trials were finally identified. Ten cross-sectional studies showed statistically positive correlation between milk consumption and the circulating IGF-I level. Randomized controlled trials indicated that the circulating IGF-I level was significantly higher in the milk intervention group. After meta-analysis, the weighted mean difference of the circulating IGF-I level was 13.8 ng/ml (95% confidence interval: 6.1-21.5 ng/ml) comparing the intervention group with the control group. The current evidence suggests that milk consumption may increase the circulating IGF-I level.

  10. #9
    Skinny Feet Kiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Milk is magic.
    This reminds me, time for my second Litre of the day
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

    A Westside journal.

    'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

    'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

    'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Springfield, VA
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    You can basically find an article showing negative effects of any food so take it with a grain of salt. There is soo much pseudo science out there and articles written just to be written it doesn't mean you should stop eating eaggs or drinking milk. You also have to look at the source , type of research, etc.....
    - So true.

    - Did you all hear that latest that swimming in pools with chlorine causes cancer now too?
    m/37/5'10/194

    Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member jds 82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    And no I am not being a smart ass.
    i no i was the same when i read it

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member jds 82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    I have never heard this. Are you able to link us to the article?
    its the same article as daniel has up here but youd have to read the whole article...not sure were the link is ill try and find it soon

  14. #13
    Wannabebig Member jds 82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    You can basically find an article showing negative effects of any food so take it with a grain of salt. There is soo much pseudo science out there and articles written just to be written it doesn't mean you should stop eating eaggs or drinking milk. You also have to look at the source , type of research, etc.....
    tru didnt real look at the source were it came from

  15. #14
    Wannabebig Member jds 82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Theory is that milk ingestion leads to increased igf levels in the body which have been associated with an increased risk of cancer i.e. some people with cancer have been found to have higher than normal levels of igf-1 and other insulin like growth factors. No causal link has been found though i.e. increased white blood cell count is associated with infection but is not the cause of.

    So it's not proven whether increased igf causes cancer and even if it did there's not much out there to suggest that drinking milk even raises igf in the first place.

    Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009;60 Suppl 7:330-40. Epub 2009 Sep 9.

    Milk consumption and circulating insulin-like growth factor-I level: a systematic literature review.
    Qin LQ, He K, Xu JY.

    Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Radiation Medicine and Public Health, Medical College of Soochow University, Suzhou, China. qinliqiang@suda.edu.cn

    Abstract
    Studies suggest that the circulating insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) level is positively associated with the prostate cancer risk. The association of milk consumption and circulating IGF-I level has been examined in epidemiological studies with inconsistent results. We conducted a systematic literature review to summarize and quantify the current evidence for milk or dairy product consumption and the circulating IGF-I level. We searched relevant papers published in English up to March 2009 in various databases. Fifteen cross-sectional studies and eight randomized controlled trials were finally identified. Ten cross-sectional studies showed statistically positive correlation between milk consumption and the circulating IGF-I level. Randomized controlled trials indicated that the circulating IGF-I level was significantly higher in the milk intervention group. After meta-analysis, the weighted mean difference of the circulating IGF-I level was 13.8 ng/ml (95% confidence interval: 6.1-21.5 ng/ml) comparing the intervention group with the control group. The current evidence suggests that milk consumption may increase the circulating IGF-I level.
    this looks like one that i read, but it was pushing more to that milk and eggs do cause it, on less you use free rage eggs and rice milk and so on

  16. #15
    Wannabebig Member jds 82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by imxfit View Post
    - So true.

    - Did you all hear that latest that swimming in pools with chlorine causes cancer now too?
    swimming pools in all ?cant do noting these days and people are getting some thing

  17. #16
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,887
    I'm inclined to believe that cancer is a genetic defect of some kind. Some people can smoke, drink, and eat radioactive food until they die of real old age. Others can stand next to somebody that had a cigarrette two weeks prior and be dead in a year.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  18. #17
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that cancer is a genetic defect of some kind. Some people can smoke, drink, and eat radioactive food until they die of real old age. Others can stand next to somebody that had a cigarrette two weeks prior and be dead in a year.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.
    You are correct in that there is definitely a genetic component to cancer, but like most things it does not stop there. We know plenty of things can significantly increase one's risk for cancer, unfortunately the media has really distorted science and tends to over blow findings, and now many people are skeptical of just about everything, even legitimate health concerns.

    This scenario is not too uncommon:
    Scientist wants to discover relationship between X and Y. Scientist collects data and it's statistically significant enough to posit a potential link between X and Y. Since it's almost impossible to completely normalize every variable and definitely prove that all other variables are independent, and this relationship hasn't been confirmed in other studies, scientist will end paper with something to the effect of "This data suggests a link, but does not prove that X increases Y under these conditions. Clearly more research needs to be conducted before further conclusions are drawn."
    Scientist has decent sample size and clean statistically significant data. Study get published with the intent that this will provide as a stepping stone for others to further investigate the relationship between X and Y.
    Someone in media discovers this study, comes out with article "Scientists finds link between X and Y" (lets say 'X' is bananas and 'Y' is cancer). General public see's the word "link" and automatically assumes "proves", and media knows this. Fear mongering = more viewers more subscribers etc.

    So yeah, long story short there is plenty of stuff out there that could be harmful and don't be so quick to discredit something, but don't also completely adjust your lifestyle every time a single study comes out that suggest a harmful effect from a substance.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 09-15-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Similar Threads

  1. are dairy products like eggs and milk bad for acne?
    By Vicioustorms in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM
  2. Chicken, Cows, Eggs, and Milk: Eating Big, Lifting Heavy
    By offhegoes03 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 300
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 06:04 AM
  3. Question on Eggs
    By YungLifter in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 01:56 PM
  4. eggs question
    By Spartacus in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 12:43 AM
  5. So Now What?
    By Tryska in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-12-2001, 07:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •