The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Front Squat with bands

I've never seen anyone here do these are they a practical variation?
    Last edited by ThomasG; 10-19-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Overloading the front squat for a powerlifter doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I suppose to each their own.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

i think having the bands the other way would be more beneficial. I really feel front squats kill my abs and quads out of the hole and it would seem doing it in the opposite direction would require you to stabilize the weight more and probably use more abs to stay upright
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Overloading the front squat for a powerlifter doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I suppose to each their own.

If your quads are your weakness in the squat or you have weak abs why not over load the front squat?
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Dr. Subtotal
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    If your quads are your weakness in the squat or you have weak abs why not over load the front squat?
    For one, training economy and exercise selection. If quads are your weakness, you can use assistance work/extra workouts/GPP to attack it, rather than take more effort away from the big three. Same with abs.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Dr. Subtotal
    If he's utilizing a conjugation approach and has a limited exercise selection due to a lack of equipment, ME FSs with an overload are probably one of his ME Squat workouts. I'd keep this movement further out from a meet, but maybe this guy is just trying to increase his FS. I don't always like to do ME box squats, so I change it up for Zerchers or SSB squats for a ME Squat workout. However, closer to a meet, I'd stick with BS.

Because the bands will make it easier at the bottom. I should have said using reverse bands doesn't make sense to me. Using bands from the bottom would be fine I suppose.

If quads are your weakness, I'd just go with regular ol' front squats. I'm not a huge fan of complicating your accessory movements

I think front squat is an excellent accessory movement, but reverse bands in my opinion just isn't going to help. There are plenty of variations you could use such as 5 rep max, 3 rep max, front squat to a box, free front squat, front squatting from pins, 5 rep max from pins, 3 rep max from pins/box....you get the idea.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Interesting! Thanks for the posts guys.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

I'm going to disagree with you guys here somewhat. Since I made this thread over a year ago I've had an extreme amount of success with overloading front squats with bands an chains. Haven't tried reverse band and I agree that's not a proper way to overload a FS. We mostly use chains.

First time I went for a 405 Front squat I popped out of the hole and failed. Then I front squatted with bands and chains for a couple weeks and came back and hit 405x2.

I also Rotate front Squat as a ME movement not just an accessory. There has been a definite correlation to my back squat.

Last edited by ThomasG; 10-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

How does that disagree? Most here (including myself) said that reverse band front squats weren't beneficial. Not front squats themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    For one, training economy and exercise selection. If quads are your weakness, you can use assistance work/extra workouts/GPP to attack it, rather than take more effort away from the big three. Same with abs.
    Disagree

Disagree. But as you said to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    If he's utilizing a conjugation approach and has a limited exercise selection due to a lack of equipment, ME FSs with an overload are probably one of his ME Squat workouts.
    Disagree I do not lack equipment I believe front squat has it place as an me movement depending on the lifter.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

LOL you didn't overload the front squat. you added accomodating resistance

My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    LOL!

Thomas I'm not trying to take away from your front squat and full squat PRs. You did a nice job. I'm just confused is all. Your post came across as if you had proved us all wrong and were having an "ah ha!" moment and I just didn't see it. If you wanted to showcase your PRs just create a new thread explaining what you learned throughout your training.

LOL you didn't overload the front squat. you added accomodating resistance
    LOL!

Thomas I'm not trying to take away from your front squat and full squat PRs. You did a nice job. I'm just confused is all. Your post came across as if you had proved us all wrong and were having an "ah ha!" moment and I just didn't see it. If you wanted to showcase your PRs just create a new thread explaining what you learned throughout your training.

This is not about showcasing my pr's it's about personal experience and anecdotal evidence. The disagreement may be a simple confusion of terms. I've always heard accommodating resistance as a form of overloading. For example overloading the top of the movement by %30 with bands or chains. Also Eccentric overloading with bands and chains.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 10-20-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Dr. Subtotal
    Look at all variables first before making a conclusion. Causation and correlation.

You said you missed a 405 then after a few weeks hit 405x2. If you used the same stance, you were becoming lift specific in training. This in itself can explain the increase. On a true conjugate cycle where you are rotating exercises constantly, you are hitting a number that does not represent a true max since you are not being lift specific. If I can hit a 500 conventional GM when I pull sumo primarily, my conventional GM will go up if I start training it every week with a proper loading scheme.

You should also compare the depth of both training sessions. If you're squatting higher the second time, this can also explain the difference. You may have also added quad assistance which would correlate to a larger BS.

Remember there's 315 in the hole. If the setup is correct, you're locking out 315 + 120ish (some of chain might still be on floor). Chains are a much different way to deload than the reverse band setup up top. Most FS will fail though midway though because of premature rounding of the upper back and a loss of tightness in the torso.

Most of the time I go back FSing after a meet, the hole is always a weird point since it differs so much from that of a powerlifting squat. I think most of this is lift specific.

This is not about showcasing my pr's it's about personal experience and anecdotal evidence. The disagreement may be a simple confusion of terms. I've always heard accommodating resistance as a form of overloading. For example overloading the top of the movement by %30 with bands or chains. Also Eccentric overloading with bands and chains.
    For purposes of this discussion - what it originated from - the term overloading was referring to reverse band front squats.

You are mixing some terms yes, but not terribly so that it makes a huge difference.

My point was simply that you didn't really prove anyone wrong per se with your experience, in regards to what was said in this thread.

Keep up the good progress!

Just get under the bar!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Just figured that I would add that Craig is a strongman, not a powerlifter...

Reverse band work for overloading movements can be helpful - especially for someone who typically has trouble at the lockout of the movement. The only downside here would be that you would probably need a rack with two sets of catch pins (unless you looped the bands over the top... but that could provide too much help from the bands).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Nobody has mentioned that front squats work the posture muscles really well. That's the biggest reason I like them, personally.