The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Dumbells vs Barbells

I have been reading a lot about the advantages/disadvantages of each just wondering what you guys think.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Partyfoul View Post
    I have been reading a lot about the advantages/disadvantages of each just wondering what you guys think.
    I think they both have their place and their advantages. A person needs to learn how to use those advantages for their own advantage to fill their needs. Too much written gives the idea of one or the other instead of how to use them together for the most advantage.

This is of course only my own personal view and should be taken an hour before bed and then consult a qualified professional in the morning.

Use both

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Partyfoul View Post
    It depends on what you are looking to do with them. I prefer dumbbells for a lot of hypertrophy exercises and isolation movements, but barbells are better for strength/power exercises.

Are you looking to put together a home gym or just trying to structure an exercise program?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    It depends on what you are looking to do with them. I prefer dumbbells for a lot of hypertrophy exercises and isolation movements, but barbells are better for strength/power exercises.

Are you looking to put together a home gym or just trying to structure an exercise program?
    I have been doing 5/3/1 but have hit a stalling point. I am switching over to the up your bench in 30lbs by 30 days since it worked great before and will go back to 5/3/1 after that.

However in 5/3/1 the book recommends that the incline bench press be used with dumbbells.

I have been reading that some people completely write off barbells for upper body movements.

Wannabebig Member
    Well if you lift by yourself, I would say use dumbells for the simple fact that if you can't get it up, you can drop them easier than you can drop a barbell.

But for me, I would much rather use dumbells for incline and military press because they tend to work better for me since I lift alone. I also like to use them because I feel like I can work on my wrist's stability better with dumbells than barbells. But to each their own.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have a rota were I do one for 4-6 weeks and then change to the other for the same amount. I think thats the best way to do personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post

That's pretty much spot on with what I do. Earlier I did heavy bent over barbell rows then followed that up with dumbell rows done in more of a bodybuilder kind of fashion such as how Allan Cress described in another thread on rows.