The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Out of place

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Out of place

Today I went to the gym with my friend. He's been going there for a little over a year an i need to get bigger so I went today to start. I have never felt so out of place. We were about halfway done and some other guys come in and notice me as the new kid and I'm not big at all. I felt like walking out cause of them staring at me and making gestures behind my back that I saw through the mirrors. I left with a sour taste in my mouth when we finished.
    Last edited by bender8; 09-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Fuel for the fire man. Eat big, lift big, get big. Don't worry about the jackasses behind your back. There's guys like that everywhere.

I've always been apprehensive when I first go to a gym... especially if I've been out of it for awhile. It's pretty natural, so don't let that get you down. Just commit to going, take some before pics, record the weights you're using now, and in 6 months you'll be amazed what you've accomplished.

Best of luck man.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Like kmagnus said, lift big on a good routine, eat big, and stick with it for a year. When you walk in bigger and stronger than them, they won't even look you in the eye.

But if you are on a messed up routine or you aren't eating right...all bets are off
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-14-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    You can always buy your own equipment. If you cruise craigslist long enough you can find deals on a bench and barbell. It can be cheaper than a year long gym membership.

I lift at home with friends. Always good vibes.

like they said...lift big and eat bigger. Everyone has to start somewhere I remember when I first went to the gym and I was 140 pounds and could barely bench 135x5. Stick with it and keep track of your progress and it'll make you want to keep at it!
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I bet those guys making those gestures weren't even that big. Usually the biggest strongest guys in the gym are really nice and friendly. If you give up where does that get you? Read around this site train hard and I bet you can get bigger than those douche bags.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I bet those guys making those gestures weren't even that big. Usually the biggest strongest guys in the gym are really nice and friendly.
    This. From my experience the guys who truly know what they're doing appreciate that we all started somewhere and are usually willing to take the time to offer advice.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Lift for you, not for anyone else. I feel like that is honestly the only way you will be able to make real gains in the weight room. If YOU want it, then you will see results. Pretend that you own the place even if it is your first time in there.

The majority of weightlifting and body building is mental game. Don't let others influence how you play yours.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    I really don't have the room for equipment at my house. And if it keeps bothering me to a point when I want to walk out me and my friend r just going to go when no one else is there. It's not that I just want to get bigger but I'm going to have to get as big as I can by spring because I race stock cars and the divison I'm moving up to is one of the most violent and they don't like newcomers. They don't care how old you are or if u even start anything.... You are bound to get into a fight eventually. My dad is wanting me to be able to handle any one of those guys and none of them are below 170-180. I'm going to be 17 shortly and I'm only about 120.

If you are intimidated by some "pumpers and toners" at a local gym... you are going to pee yourself when you get to a truely rough environment.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    It's not that i'm intimidated it's that is pisses me off that they got to be jackasses about it.

If you are avoiding them, then they intimidate you. Deal with it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

You want intimidation try having to squat your first time on a monolift with Tim Harold haha.

Seriously most of the time when you are training you really don't pay attention to other people that much. If some people are being dicks just show them up by being consistent and not backing down.

If you're worried about it because of a fight you might get in, you're in the wrong gym. Go take some Judo or Jiu-Jitsu and you'll be head and shoulders above where you'd be after 10 years of lifting. Being strong isn't the end all be all in a fight. I've gotten my butt handed to me by guys I outweigh by 50+ lbs and could bench 2x as much as... because they were good fighters and I was just a strong guy who 'thought' he could fight.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788