The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The Focused Chronicles

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away .... oh. Wrong movie.

Some of you know me, and those of you who don't, soon will.

In another life on WBB, I was known as the hobbit that could. Unfortunately, because of some financial difficulties, I haven't been lifting for quite a while. Three years to be exact. I used to weigh 175 ... not big by this board's standards, but given that I'm also HIV+ and started out at 135, pretty good if I do say so myself.

Next week will be the final installment on a $21,000 loan that I've been repaying for quite some time and it can't come soon enough! I'm about two weeks to a month away from rejoining a gym ... I could do it next week but I have some $$$ things that need to get squared away first.

I'll be ordering Starting Strength (the book and the DVD) shortly. Because I've been inactive for so long, I might as well be considered a beginner at this point. It'll do me some good to have some resources at my fingertips though. I also need to get reacquainted with some of the material on this site.

This journal will serve as a record of my lifts and also a photo record of my progression. For ****s and giggles, I weighed myself a few minutes ago. The good news is I'm 154. I also did a set of bodyweight squats. At least I haven't forgotten form. The bad news is my thighs want to know "who are you and what did you do to Focused?"

By this time next year, I will be 175 -- weight gain is easy on the SeeFood diet -- but whether I'll be able to bench 100 lbs. is another story altogether. I'm looking forward to it, in any event.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

So this is my "before before" pic thread, which you can view here: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...t=sobaaddict70

I'll have updated "before before before" pix posted later tonight. I'm going to post them in this thread so that everything is in one place so I don't need to go search the site for something that I want to read.

I figure I can get some things done (prep, you might call it), between now and when I re-join the gym I used to belong to three years ago.

I don't know that I can do Starting Strength (SS) the first day back in the gym. I have specific issues (don't we all) that I need to address, compounded by the fact that I've been inactive for a long time.

1. Looking back on my old journal, I was working on squat balance and squat form. I'm stronger on my left side than on my right. Doing freeform balance work last night, I see that that hasn't changed, although once I get back in the saddle, things should improve quickly.

2. I need to strengthen my core before I attempt an SS program. I see Sensei has some videos addressing some movements, which I've bookmarked for later viewing.

3. Boris (Isaac) mentioned something about pushups ... being able to perform a pushup successfully, as a yardstick in order to bench press. I lack significant upper body strength to perform bench presses using a meaningful weight. I can do pushups from a kneeling position and that's about it. I think, what I'm going to have to do, is do a little research in this area first.

Workout and stuff

BW squats x6
    BW squats x6

Random **** -- Doing squats makes you want to eat a horse afterwards.

And now I have to go get food. Later.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

As you can see, I'm starting at roughly the same place as my "before before" pix this time around.

Goals:

Short term -- to be able to re-learn what I used to know, without too much trouble.
    Long term -- if I can squat properly with a weight heavier than 90 lbs., in say, six months' time, that'll do wonders for my psyche.
    Long(er) term -- ditto if I can bench more than 90 lbs.

Weight gain is easy, especially if you like to eat as much as I do. I'm contemplating doing half GOMAD and half cottage cheese and some combination of Nitrean and/or Results. I would do full-on GOMAD, except I'm mildly lactose intolerant. I have my own office which is great -- but a roomful of gas won't make me any friends at work.

Workouts and stuff

Plan was to do some burpees but I ditched that instead and walked home from the office. 2.5 miles in 45 minutes (includes time spent navigating crowds and waiting for street traffic/stop lights). Before anyone says anything, that's 40+ New York City-sized blocks. I have some residual DOMS in my quads, glutes and inner thighs which should be gone by tomorrow.

Diet and stuff

1: Triple egg omelette with bacon and cheese on a buttered roll; apple juice; banana
    2: Pulled pork burrito with guac, sour cream, cheese, beans and salsa verde
    3: Baked trout, tomatoes and shallots; rice; milk.
    4: Cottage cheese + 2 tablespoons olive oil

The trout will be baked with 2 T. olive oil.

Needless to say, lots of water.

Totals: 3,620 calories; 169.1 p, 205.8 f, 276.6 c

Protein intake for the next two weeks will be a little lower than normal, at least until I'm able to place an order of Nitrean.

Later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Workout and stuff

Burpees

BW x10
    BW x10
    BW x10

Harder than they look or sound, but incredibly fun and challenging.

Diet and stuff

1: Triple egg omelette, 1 can tuna, rice
    2: 8 tablespoons natty pb
    3: 2 massive tuna salad sandwiches
    4: Cottage cheese + olive oil
    5 (to come): Raisins.

Half-gallon of whole milk and lots of water.

Totals: 3,962 calories; 242.4 p, 239.4 c, 231.5 f

Later.
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-19-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Am looking at an old journal I kept in this forum.

This is the routine that I'd like to eventually ease into, because it's what worked for me back when I was lifting regularly. I'll be going slowly at first. Because I've been out of commission for so long, there's going to be a little "re-learning" curve, if you will.

Wheelz

Squats
    Good mornings
    SLDL *or* hack squats
    Leg extensions
    Calf raises

Back and shoulders

Deadlifts
    Military press in rack
    Some kind of rowing movement *or* chins
    Some kind of rear delt movement
    Arnies
    RC work
    Shrugs

Chest and misc.

BB flat bench press *or* DB flat bench press
    Dips/skullcrushers
    Curls of some kind
    Static holds/farmer's walk
    Some kind of "core" work (see Sensei's vids)

Another thing I want to make clear (more of a note to myself but also helpful to other viewers) -- I don't do every movement that's listed for a specific part. I will do the main lift followed by a few side lifts depending on "feel" for that day.

I'm still going to get SS (the book and dvd) -- for tips, pointers and random bits of wisdom. If I do utilize power cleans in my routine in the future, Ripptoe's instruction will be very useful.

Workout and stuff

Nope.

Diet and stuff

3,423 calories; 201.1 p, 280 c, 172 f

Random **** -- Time spent in the gym is precious ... make the most of it. Use failures as learning experiences; look forward instead of backwards.
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-20-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

What's going on man! Been quite a long time. Good to still see you here. Didn't recognize ya at first with the name change. Glad to see you've got the appetite of a horse man. Everything going alright? How's the bloodwork looking these days?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    What's going on man! Been quite a long time. Good to still see you here. Didn't recognize ya at first with the name change. Glad to see you've got the appetite of a horse man. Everything going alright? How's the bloodwork looking these days?
    Bloodwork is great as usual.

I really can't complain. I don't recall the numbers off-hand from my last checkup but T-cells were 500+ and vl was undetectable. HDL/LDL were pretty low too although it'll be interesting to see whether those numbers hold true the next time around being that I'm regularly consuming eggs, milk, cheese and red meat these days.

I changed my name because I want to get into a different mindset. (More on that later.)

Thanks for visiting Chub.

==============

Workout and stuff

Still doing conditioning prep.

blah blah warmup/RC work blah blah

One-legged deadlifts

BW x6
    BW x6

Lunges

BW x5 (alternating)
    BW x5 (alternating)

Bodyweight squats

BW x6
    BW x6

Diet and stuff

Calories are a little low today. Had to go to a City agency this morning to file an application, then got sucked into a couple of projects once I got back to the office. Eh, I'll live.

1: Three egg omelette, home fries, banana, milk
    2: Mixed salad w/ chicken, veg, mozzarella; banana, milk
    3: Pasta with chicken liver and roasted peppers, milk
    4 (to come): Cottage cheese + olive oil, milk

Lots of water and more milk.

Totals: 3,386 calories; 184 p, 273.5 c, 176.2 f

Random **** --

I'm like the biggest wuss ever. I've been going back and forth between my old routine and doing SS. Mostly because power cleans look intimidating. But I said the same thing about deadlifts back when I was more nooby, so maybe I should just man up.

But my shoulders and arms really are weak. Weaker than an 8 year old girl's if you can believe that. From conversations with Paul Stagg (for those of you who remember him) and Relentless, I'm subbing in bent-over bb rows for power cleans in Workout B and adding one set of chins to Workout A for the time being. Everything else remains the same. We'll see how that goes.

In other news, I'm renewing my gym membership on Friday. I can't ****ing wait.

Later.
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-21-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

And so it begins.

Fri-uh-day, September 24, 2010

Workout and stuff

blah blah RC stuff blah blah

Squats

Warmup -- bar x5
    55 x5
    55 x5
    55 x5

Notes: Was not really interested in adding weight so much as getting form and depth correct. I might have to figure out how to take videos using my digital camera so people can critique me.

Bench press

Warmup -- bar x5
    50 x5
    50 x5
    50 x5

Notes: Increases are going to be very slow, although 50 was surprisingly easy -- 2nd set for the first two or three reps.

Deadlift

Warmup -- bar x5
    65 x5

Notes: Not interested in weight so much as form.

Bent-over BB rows

bar x5
    bar x5

Diet and stuff

1: Leftover pasta from last night; milk.
    2: Triple egg omelette w/cheese, sausage on a toasted bagel; milk; a banana; grapefruit juice.
    3: Chicken burrito w/ the works (rice, beans, shredded chicken, cheese, guac, lettuce, salsa verde); tostones; milk
    4: Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, salad, milk
    5 (to come): Peas and carrots w/butter, milk

Lots of water, etc.

Totals: 4,055 calories; 203.4 p, 421.2 c, 176 f

Random **** -- Weight this morning was 157.5. That's like, 6.5 lbs. gained since I started on the half-gallon of milk diet. Of course, most of that is probably fat but hey, I'll take what I can get.

In other news, a friend sent me a copy of Starting Strength (the book). I just ordered the DVD. Can't wait.

Later.
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-24-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added in meals and macros for the day

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Snoozeday*, September 26, 2010

Workout and stuff

+W indicates weight increase
    +R indicates rep increase
    +! indicates PR**

blah blah stretching, hip mobility exercises*** and RC work blah blah

Squats[/b]

Warmup -- bar x5
    55 x5
    55 x5
    60 x5 (+5W)

Note: "You're taking a dump!" is an effective mantra.

Press

25 x5
    25 x5
    25 x5

Standing calf raises

75 x8 (slow count)
    100 x8 (slow count)
    100 x8 (slow count)
    125 x8 (medium count)
    125 x7 (medium count)

Situps

5 x8

*Because I like to sleep too much.
    **Not going to happen for a long while unfortunately.

Diet and stuff

1: Scottish oatmeal w/ raisins, milk
    2: Protein shake w/ fruit, natty pb, milk
    3: Banana, mixed nuts, milk
    4: Pasta w/meat sauce, salad ... and guess what, milk
    5 (to come): Baked trout, squash, rice and milk
    6 (to come): Can of tuna, 2 T. olive oil and milk

Totals***: 3,706 calories; 180.3 p, 319.2 c, 196.6 f

***Probably a little bit less b/c the protein shake was from my gym so I don't know macros there.

Later.
    Last edited by Focused70; 10-13-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Crappy workout, crappy diet, crappy weather and crappy mood right now.

Have less patience for idiots than usual today.

Workout and stuff

blah blah rotator cuff stuff/stretching blah blah

+! indicates PR

Squats

Warmup -- bar x5
    60 x5
    65 x5 (+5W)
    65 x5

Note: Must remember "heels!"

Bench press

Warmup -- bar x5
    60 x5 (+10W)
    60 x4 (fail @ 5th)
    50 x5

Note: Thank god I had a spotter for the 2nd set. Not sure what happened there ... 1-3 were sort of ok, struggled with the 4th and on the 5th, my arms decided to take a vacation. Oy vey.

I'll have to do 55x5x3 next time and see how that works out.

Deadlift

Warmup -- bar x7
    65 x3
    70 x3 (+5W)

Note: Must remember "heels!"

Diet and stuff

Calories are low so far today.

I'm an environmental law/land-use and zoning paralegal. It's a great job because it's not as sedentary as other paralegal jobs I've had in the past. The downside is when my stomach demands "FEED ME!" and I have to beat it back with a big stick. Or something.

Had to file a ULURP (uniform land use review process) application downtown at a City agency, then headed to Central Park to the Parks Dept. to pick up a document, then walked back to the office. So there's my cardio for today. Just got back to the office 45 minutes ago and I'm just having lunch now.

1: Couple of bananas and milk
    2: Eggs over-easy, homefries and OJ
    3: LARGE beef burrito w/ everything. Side of plantains.
    4 and 5: Not yet, but I'll think of something. There'll be milk involved.

Totals: It'll be pretty meh.

Wannabe Palaver

So I'm about to go up to the cashier in this sandwich/salad shop at my office building when a group of tourists enters and gets there ahead of me. They're talking and doing the tourist thing and chatting up the cashier, and I'm like "folks, sightsee on your own time ... not when I have food in my hand that I'd like to eat". And the kicker is, some old lady asks me "are you on line" to which I reply "Yeah, lady, I like standing here".

I'm a nice guy most of the time until you get between me and my food.

Later.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Weekly Weigh-In: 158.5

Probably mostly water weight and fat.

The plan is to do a slow clean bulk for the next eight months, then see what happens from there. Even with a .5 gain every week (a conservative estimate), I should be somewhere between 174 and 190 by May 2011. The first time I did the bulking thing back in 2004 I ended up at 187, then went on a PSMF-style mini-cut and ended up at 175. Just placed an order of Nitrean so that should help things along.

Weight gain is easy for me. Strength gain on the other hand, is a different ballgame. Because of my condition, it feels like a never-ending two step forward/one step backwards kind of thing. Especially on bench press.

Calories are going to be a little low today but not as low as yesterday hopefully. Have a field trip to a City agency in a few minutes ... should be exciting. And by exciting, I mean 'tedious'.

Workout and stuff

Crunches

x20 (slow)
    x20 (slow)

Plank

x1 (30 seconds)
    x1 (30 seconds)
    x1 (45 seconds)

* Going to throw in medicine ball push-ups and related movements to help get bench up to speed. I might have to include some machine stuff.

Later,

Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-29-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Fri-uh-day, October 1, 2010

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

blah blah stretching, hip mobility and RC stuff blah blah

Squats

Warmup -- bar x7
    60 x5
    70 x5 (+5W)
    70 x5

Note: Last couple reps of the 3rd set was a little shaky. Probably do 70x5x3 on Sunday.

Press

30 x5 (+5W)
    30 x5
    30 x5

Note: I'm gradually working my way up to doing these with the oly bar (as a baseline).

Assisted chins

12 -- x6
    12 -- x6
    12 -- x6

Note: Lower numbers = more weight/harder challenge. 12 is a nice baseline number to start off. The upper bod strength will also help nicely WHEN -- *not if* -- I learn to do power cleans.

Icarian Chest Press

bar+20 x6
    bar+20 x6
    bar+20 x6

Note: I'm not sure what the handlebars weigh so rather than enter an inaccurate weight, I'm just including the plates I added to the stack.

Standing calf raises

75 x8 (slow count)
    125 x8 (slow count)
    125 x8 (slow count)
    150 x8 (medium count) (+25W)
    150 x6 (medium count)

"Core"

Medicine ball crunches -- 2 x20
    Arm-leg raises -- x20 (each side), x20
    Plank -- 3 x 30 seconds

Diet and stuff

1: Cottage cheese, milk
    2: 5 egg white omelette + cheese, homefries, fruit, toast, OJ
    3: A BK double whopper with cheese, fries and soda. (Ok ... I have like less than 5 Big Macs a year ... I'm entitled to one every so often)
    4: Pasta with tuna, broccoli, garlic and olive oil. And more milk.

Later,

Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 10-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Can't believe it's already October. I turn 40 in 2 months.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

blah blah stretching, hip/RC blah blah

Squats

Warmup -- bar x7
    70 x5
    70 x5
    70 x5

Bench press

bar x8
    55 x5
    55 x5
    55 x5

Deadlift

Warmup -- bar x5
    60 x3
    95 x3 (+20W)
    95 x3

Assisted dips

Lower numbers = more weight. Not gonna happen for a while though b/c I'm essentially starting over again.

13 x6 (narrow)
    13 x6 (narrow)
    13 x6 (narrow)

General notes

Started doing "core" work on my off-days. Basics stuff like planks and crunch variations, mixed in with arm-leg raises. When I'm in the gym, I have fun with exercise balls. Also, thanks to Sensei for his vids ... they're extremely helpful.

Also -- I never thought I'd say that I enjoy doing "core" stuff.

Cardio: Nope.

Diet stuff

FitDay food log doesn't include a protein shake from my gym -- 1,150 calories and 60 g p (approximate amounts)

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

Part of today's lunch. Grilled salmon w/ dill.

Later,

Stash

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Good looking workouts...good looking food...but what is your avatar supposed to be now?

I miss the donuts...they looked very yummy.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Good looking workouts...good looking food...but what is your avatar supposed to be now?

I miss the donuts...they looked very yummy.
    Thanks for stopping in.

They're BBQ ribs, Texas style. Anyone who's in Dallas might know Baker's Ribs. They had a booth at the Big Apple Block Party here in NYC in 2008.

Donuts will reappear eventually in some form.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Okay, I see the ribs now (duh).
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hey good to see you're back. Hope everything is going well.

For pushups: I remember reading an article Dave Tate wrote abot coming back from shoulder surgery. He did 100 pushups against a wall and gradually worked his hands down the wall over several months until he could do 100 pushups on the ground, then he began benchng again. Not saying you should do 100, but maybe start with 10 and see how it goes.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Fri-uh-day, October 8, 2010

Migraines suck. I get them once every few months. When they happen, everything shuts down for a few days. My environment gets limited to a darkened bedroom with the blinds drawn and my eating goes to ****.

On the other hand, something must have been working because I mysteriously gained 3 lbs. this week. Either my scale is broken or I'm delusional.

=============================================
    Drew -- Thanks for stopping by. That is an idea which I'll be stealing. Guess I'll be doing those on my off-days.

Weekly Weigh-In: 161.5

Very likely fat and/or water weight but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Workout and stuff

Truncated session today. Lunch hour workout, then had to rush back to the office but at least some things got done.

+! indicates PR

blah blah stretching, hip and RC movements blah blah

Deadlifts

bar x8
    60 x4
    95 x3
    95 x3
    105 x3 (+10W)

Assisted chins

Lower numbers = more weight.

13 x5 (medium grip)
    12 x5 (narrow grip)
    12 x5 (narrow grip)

Standing calf raises

75 x8 (slow count)
    100 x6 (slow count)
    125 x6 (slow count)
    150 x8 (medium count)
    175 x8 (medium count) (+25W)
    175 x8 (slow count)

Angled calf raises

The gym I belong to doesn't have the usual seated calf raise thing. Instead it's sort of like an angled bench at a 45 degree tilt. It's also plate loaded, the same kind of plates you use for free weight movements.

90 x8 (slow count)
    90 x8 (slow count)
    100 x8 (slow count)

Fun with exercise balls

x20 (slow)
    x20 (slow)

Finis.

Diet stuff

I'll have to log my entries later. Mostly turkey sandwiches (how boring!) and shakes.

Random ****

The same folks who brought you this:

recently opened a fried chicken version called imaginatively enough "Hill Country Chicken". Early reports are that it could be better. I'll be going in a couple of weeks ... there'll be lots of delicious food pr0n if you're into that sort of thing.

Later,

Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 10-08-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Thanks for the update. Glad you're feeling better. Looking forward to the food pron, that stack of BBQed meat looks delicious.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Off Roadster -- If I've made you hungry, my photography has succeeded.

=======================================

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I can't seem to catch a break. Ugh.

Caught a cold last week, ironically enough the day after I got my flu vaccine shot. That annoying sore throat I had during Friday's session exploded over the weekend. Had a doctor's visit on Monday and got put on antibiotics. I'm like 75% better, and while I probably shouldn't have gone to the gym today, it's not like exercise is going to kill me.

Unfortunately the squat racks were already occupied by the time I got there so today's log won't be of (much) interest.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Assisted chins

13 x8 (+3R) (medium)
    12 x8 (medium)
    12 x5 (narrow)
    11 x2 (narrow) -- FAIL!

Note: I did the 11 x2 for ****s and giggles ... could probably do a full set of 11 to start off next time.

Assisted dips

12 x8 (narrow)
    11 x8 (narrow)
    11 x6 (wide)
    10 x6 (wide)

Note: Looking back on the old journal, I see that stage 8 was where I left off so the fact that I was able to do stage 10 today means I'm not too far from where I used to be.

Standing calf raises

100 x8 (slow count) (+2R)
    125 x8 (slow count)
    150 x8 (slow count)
    150 x6 (medium count)
    175 x8 (medium count)
    175 x8 (medium count)

Angled calf raises

90 x10 (slow count) (+2R)
    90 x10 (slow count)
    110 x8 (slow count) (+10W)
    110 x8 (slow count)

Fun with exercise balls

x20
    x20
    x20
    x18 (+1 set)

Also plank and other assorted "core" stuff.

Hyperextensions

BW x10
    BW x10
    BW x10

I feel good. Tomorrow I will feel sore.

Daily Grumble

I plan to get to the gym early Friday morning so I can get first crack at the squat cage. The problem is, I like to sleep too much.

Later,

Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 10-13-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Fri-uh-day, October 15, 2010

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Squats

bar x7
    60 x5
    70 x6 (+1R)
    70 x6
    70 x6

Bench press

bar x8
    55 x5
    55 x5
    55 x5

Yes, I suck. Shut up.

Also my right side is weak(er). What's up with that?

Deadlifts

bar x8
    70 x5
    95 x3
    115 x3 (+10W)

I'm so concerned with form, you have no ****ing idea. I needn't have worried though ... back seems to be fine. On the other hand I might have to deload for a week or two because 115 x3 felt tough. To most of you, pulling 115 is like pulling tissue paper out of a box. But things are different given my situation.

On the plus side! Heels! as cue works like a charm. Core was tight throughout. I have a tendency to let things "loose", if you know what I mean.

I still hate "core" work but then I think of deadlifts and how it feels afterward. That's what keeps me going.

Fun with exercise balls finish off.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

I don't know who visits this journal but here's a food shot to draw the lurkers out of the woodwork.

Later,

Stash

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wednesday, October 20, 2010
    Wherein the hobbit discovers that it's almost two months until he turns forty...

Really busy this week and it's going to be another long day at the office.

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Assisted chins

Stage 20 = 0% bodyweight
    Stage 0 = 0% assistance

stage 11 x5 (medium) (-1 stage)
    stage 11 x5 (narrow)
    stage 11 x4 (narrow)

Assisted dips

Once again, stage 20 = 0% bodyweight while stage 0 = 0% assistance

stage 10 x6 (wide) (-1 stage)
    stage 10 x6 (narrow)
    stage 10 x7 (narrow)

Some chest press machine -- the advantage of which I can concentrate on the side that's weaker

bar +30 x8 (+10W)
    bar +30 x6
    bar +30 x8

Standing calf raises

100 x8 (slow count)
    150 x7 (slow count)
    175 x8 (medium count)
    175 x8 (fast count)
    200 x10 (medium count) (+25W)
    200 x10 (fast count)

Angled calf raises

90 x8 (slow count)
    110 x8 (slow count)
    120 x8 (slow count) (+10W)
    120 x10 (slow count)

Fun with exercise balls and other "core" stuff" to finish off.

Daily Grumble

The combination of farts and a crowded subway train is a deadly recipe.

Later,

Stash

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Nice work on the big 3 above.
    and thanks for keeping me on top of those spammers.
    Last edited by Off Road; 10-20-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Off Roadster -- I try to do my part.

====================
    Fri-uh-day, October 22, 2010
    In which the hobbit wakes up to a colder than usual autumn morning...

Weekly Weigh-In: 162.5

Workout and stuff

+! indicates PR

Truncated lunchtime session today.

Squats

bar x8
    75 x5 (+5W)
    75 x5
    75 x5

Assisted dips
    Folks were bench pressing so I did something else. I figure I'll get in early enough on Sunday that this won't be an issue.

stage 10 x6 (wide)
    stage 10 x6 (narrow)
    stage 9 x5 (narrow) (-1 stage)
    stage 9 x7 (wide)

Stage 9 = 45% assistance or approx. 89 lbs (55% of BW), a gain of a little over 36 lbs. since I started lifting again.

Deadlifts

bar x8
    95 x5
    115 x3
    125 x3 (+10W)

Because I did dips today, I'll take care of press and bench on Sunday.

Hobbit Food Pr0nography

How about some pulled pork?

Later,

Stash

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

It's funny how this journal started out as a re-do of my old routine, then morphed into a slightly modified SS, then morphed into a compromise between the two. I was thinking about that this morning ... that maybe I fell off the wagon a little too quickly. But I can't really worry about that ... I have to do what works for me.

Was watching a PT work with a client today. I might work in some cable rear delt extensions on Sunday. My own delts (HAH!) are non-existent.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles