The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Power clean/press questions

Spent all night and part of this afternoon watching training vids.

When doing power cleans, is it better to control the weight slowly on the descent?

Can I practice using a broomstick for both movements? I'm rejoining a gym next week, but this is more for when I'm not there. It's just the part between the hips and squat down slightly to get under the bar that I don't get. I understand it's a combination movement ... I need to see a vid in slow-mo, or at least someone break it down in parts, because I am clueless like that.

I'll have more ?s later on, I'm sure.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Its much easier to just put some weight on a bar and try it. At least it was that way for me. Power clean can take some time to get used to and to perfect, but after doing it for a few times, you can almost perfect it.

But basically this is how you do it:
    1. Put the weight on the bar and USE COLLARS and put the bar on the floor
    2. Grab the bar with both of your hands in the over-hand position and use the same type of form you use for deadlift (chest up, butt down)
    3. Explode up bringing the bar up (its like a high pull so keep the bar close to your body (DO NOT SWING THE BAR AWAY FROM YOUR BODY - IT WILL MAKE THE LIFT 1000X HARDER AND YOU CAN RISK SLINGING THE BAR ACROSS THE GYM))
    4. once the bar is at about your chest, drop your body down a bit like a squat and rotate your wrists by throwing your elbows under the bar. At this point, the bar should be able to rest right under your chin/on your chest.

Thats about the only way to really explain it. If your not good at deadlift or you don't have any idea what a high pull is, then I suggest that you watch some videos of it and perfect the high pull first. The setup of hte powerclean should be the easiest part. The part of getting your wrists and elbows under the bar is the hardest part.

Good luck!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Focused70 View Post
    Spent all night and part of this afternoon watching training vids.

When doing power cleans, is it better to control the weight slowly on the descent?

Can I practice using a broomstick for both movements? I'm rejoining a gym next week, but this is more for when I'm not there. It's just the part between the hips and squat down slightly to get under the bar that I don't get. I understand it's a combination movement ... I need to see a vid in slow-mo, or at least someone break it down in parts, because I am clueless like that.

I'll have more ?s later on, I'm sure.
    Are you doing them for size/strength, to become better at OLY lifts, conditioning, or just for some general cross-training?

There are a couple of good instructional videos on Youtube but if you are serious about competing or wanting to perform olympic lifts with a high level of proficiency then I would seek out an olympic weightlifting coach.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

@Gwilly -- I have some experience deadlifting but I haven't been lifting for several years. I'm starting to get back into things. My approach (may not work for other people) is to find out as much info as I can beforehand. Time spent in the gym is precious. I'd like to have some idea of what I'm doing, especially since I have many deficiencies to begin with.

@Tom: mostly strength, since it's an integral part of Starting Strength (hereafter "SS"). Originally I was going to ease into WBB #1 (in fact I might return to the routine I did back when I was lifting regularly, which was a variation of WBB #1). I'm open to suggestions. You could say I've been doing a little reading around the site for the past couple of days.
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-16-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

My other question has to do with the jumping part but before I ask that question, I'll have to do the movement. Basically it's a timing issue.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Focused70 View Post
    My other question has to do with the jumping part but before I ask that question, I'll have to do the movement. Basically it's a timing issue.
    Yes, jumping in a powerclean has to do with timing. But I would suggest that you start out light and get the entire movement down before you try "jumping". But the part of the "jumping" that I think that you are thinking actually comes quite normal especially with heavier weight because you kind of have to "jump" to pull the bar up higher close to your chest so you can get under it.

Quote Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
    Yes, jumping in a powerclean has to do with timing. But I would suggest that you start out light and get the entire movement down before you try "jumping". But the part of the "jumping" that I think that you are thinking actually comes quite normal especially with heavier weight because you kind of have to "jump" to pull the bar up higher close to your chest so you can get under it.
    Oh, it will be the bar for now, of that you can be certain.

I've been taking a look at some vids on the Crossfit site (in addition to Ripptoe's vids) about movements to help prepare doing power cleans and related exercises. One glaring deficiency I have is shoulder strength. Another (especially given I haven't been working out for a while) is weak hip flexion/extension.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles