Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant: tired of the ignorance

House Lannister

Rant: tired of the ignorance

It's unbelievable how much bs I hear at college about how "bad" creatine is for you or how "taking" protein shakes are bad. BS. I literally hear it every other day at school.

I was telling a friend of mine (not a serious lifter) about a student who looks a LOT smaller than he did last year. I then told him about how it looks like he's off cycle. He then says, "yea, once you stop taking protein shakes you shrink down." WTF?

I also get comments about how bad my protein intake is for me. I'm taking in 250-300g protein currently and usually have a few shakes a day along with plenty of milk and cottage cheese. All this crap about how my kidneys are going to give out because it has to clear all that protein. Some of this crap is just unbelievable.

Ugh. Sorry, I just get sick of this kind of talk

I've learned to ignore it now.

I have friends -- god bless their hearts, they mean well but they don't know what they're talking about -- who think I'm crazy for eating 5-6 times a day.

If only they knew what I sometimes do to cottage cheese.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Banned
    You know, I don't discuss it with anyone. If someone says I look good, I smile and say thanks. I leave it at that. If someone feels the need to preach, I excuse myself and walkaway. Working out, my health - it's my own thing, my one hour of the day I don't have to deal with anyone or anything and can be selfish by totally focusing on just me,

Otherwise, if you want to talk about politics, I am all game.
    Last edited by ChrisIsDaBoy; 09-19-2010 at 01:08 AM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIsDaBoy View Post
    You know, I don't discuss it with anyone. If someone says I look good, I smile and say thanks. I leave it at that. If someone feels the need to preach, I excuse myself and walkaway. Working out, my health - it's my own thing, my one hour of the day I don't have to deal with anyone or anything and can be selfish by totally focusing on just me,

Otherwise, if you want to talk about politics, I am all game.
    I should be able to walk away but I simply can't. Something about skinny fat kids (not that i'm jacked n tan,but I like to think I have a little muscle) spewing advice when they know nothing about what they're talking about just gets to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused70 View Post
    I've learned to ignore it now.

I have friends -- god bless their hearts, they mean well but they don't know what they're talking about -- who think I'm crazy for eating 5-6 times a day.

If only they knew what I sometimes do to cottage cheese.
    Ha you should see the looks I get when I'm weighing my food in my dorm and downing half gallons of skim milk every day like clockwork.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 09-19-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Ha you should see the looks I get when I'm weighing my food in my dorm
    i get so much stick of my mates for doing this, they laugh and ask why i do it and after i explain they try to tell me how calories arent important and they dont matter, I just tel them that train of thought is the exact reason why they look like they do, they dont usually have a comeback to that.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Banned
    I should be able to walk away but I simply can't. Something about skinny fat kids (not that i'm jacked n tan,but I like to think I have a little muscle) spewing advice when they know nothing about what they're talking about just gets to me.
    Again, it's not up for discussion. I get it at work a lot, I smile, nod and change the subject. If you can't pass up listening to others nonsense, I guess I can see why you have a problem.
    Last edited by ChrisIsDaBoy; 09-19-2010 at 09:53 AM.

where the hell do you guys live? i go to college i've never heard anyone say anything bad about protein shakes. i see people drinking em inbetween classes or at the gym all the time
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    where the hell do you guys live? i go to college i've never heard anyone say anything bad about protein shakes. i see people drinking em inbetween classes or at the gym all the time
    Hobbiton, the Shire (a/k/a New York City)

But seriously, here's what someone said to me a while ago:

Is it me or are you eating really well these days? Before I remember power shakes and seaweed ice cream (not really, but close) and you've blossomed as a cook, it seems.
    I'm still a good cook -- being a foodie and a lifter are not incompatible -- but I know where my priorities are ... as long as I get my protein and calories in, they can go suck it.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIsDaBoy View Post
    Again, it's not up for discussion. I get it at work a lot, I smile, nod and change the subject. If you can't pass up listening to others nonsense, I guess I can see why you have a problem.
    Well, I don't get the "you look good" compliments as much as "dude, you take CREATINE???? THAT IS HORRIBLE FOR YOU!" The remarks I get are aggressive and patronizing and I'm not going to let that slide from guys who look worse than me.

House Lannister
    It's a liberal arts school so there's a lot less muscle-bound guys than at another university. For example, I'm like 6" tall and 160 pounds and it's not unusual to see me putting up the most weight on the big three in my college gym. And my numbers suck.

Same...

Years and years and I've never heard this kind of negative feedback, whether in the gym or outside of it.

And I've lived all over.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Actually the bodybuilding media - magazines & online - are mostly responsible for that kind of stuff. Bodybuilders would use things like getting off protein shakes to explain their loss in size when they would get off drugs etc. Kind of like when Mark McGuire (sp?) tried to use andro to hide his (alleged) use of the real deal. Supplements are the scapegoat for doped athletes and that is part of what gives them a bad name.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeah, I've gotten the protein/kidney speech before. And what a surprise it was from a 5 foot tall 90 pound elderly lady. "Your body only uses 50g of protein a day and the rest you piss out." I think I need to start wearing more tight fitting shirts. It's hard for them to argue about how they're so much more healthy than someone with ever-growing pecks sticking in their face, heh...

Codeguru

Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    Yeah, I've gotten the protein/kidney speech before. And what a surprise it was from a 5 foot tall 90 pound elderly lady. "Your body only uses 50g of protein a day and the rest you piss out." I think I need to start wearing more tight fitting shirts. It's hard for them to argue about how they're so much more healthy than someone with ever-growing pecks sticking in their face, heh...

Codeguru
    ...and this is why they call us meatheads.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Just as a parting thought...

Not to be discouraging here, but I've noticed those that get criticized the most tend to be those who wear their lifestyle on their sleeve but don't necessarily have the appearance to match. Frankly, I don't think any of the big guys around here, or elite athletes of the world, spend their time talking about cycles and protein intake with non-enthusiasts.

However, if they DID, I doubt they'd get much criticism. What people don't understand are those who are NOT elite athletes who are on the fixed 6 meal a day schedule with exact macro and micronutrients measured out... but really would benefit the most just from eating whatever they can get and training hard for a few more years.

Talk about it a little less and let the results speak for themselves. Champions never bore their friends with details on their training. They simply keep their mouths shut and do it. Once the results come, people will ask questions, but they'll be taking notes.

The other thing is... is weighing your food and chugging milk really necessary? It IS borderline obsession. Hard training and a solid diet will get you 98% of the way there. Weighing your food is on that list of things that makes up the other 2%. The other 2% that most people don't need. Hell, even elite athletes don't weigh their food; they have a ballpark idea of their caloric intake, but certainly not to the gram. I'd look at you funny too.

If you're getting negative feedback from people on these things...ignorance aside, chances are it's not healthy eating and lifting that they don't understand, it's the obsession.

And they may just have a point.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 09-20-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Lousy grammar.

Belial, excellent post and I completely agree with you.

I know several people here must shake their head at me sometimes when they read my simple approach to training. I mean they must think I'm nuts because I only workout a two or three days a week, only use a handful of exercises, don't take a host of supplements, only have a general idea of what I'm going to eat, don't obssess over bodyfat percentage, and I'm more concerned with recovery than I am about hitting my upper/inner chest muscles. Yet I've added over 300 lbs to my squats and deads, and I've gained 80 lbs of bodyweight. When people on the street ask me for advice, I just tell them, "I eat good," because they'd never believe the truth.

Okay, end of MY rant
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I just can't stand when I offer simple, easy to follow, good (or so I think) advice to someone who asks me and then I have everyone else in the conversation telling me my advice is crap because it's not the type of advice that sounds like it's straight out of a muscle and fiction magazine.

Literally any advice I give is along the lines of "Eat more, drink a lot of milk, and spend a few months on Mark Rippetoe's starting strength. If you arms are too small, gain some weight, increase your bench and DL numbers and see what happens."

I guess it seems too simple or unrefined for everyone, because a lot of people will say advice like that is nonsense and that the key is supersetting this type of curls with this type of curls, then following this perfect pyramid scheme in these exact rep ranges, then adding the slightest twist of the wrist at the end to hit all the muscles in the bicep.

I'd like to think the advice I offer is better, but when I'm the minority by a significant margin, everyone (including the noob who asked the advice in the first place) is inclined to believe I'm full of ****.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I get negative feedback when I post pictures of MEAT on my blog. You should see the responses from vegetarians!

Oh right, what were you saying?

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Not to be discouraging here, but I've noticed those that get criticized the most tend to be those who wear their lifestyle on their sleeve but don't necessarily have the appearance to match. Frankly, I don't think any of the big guys around here, or elite athletes of the world, spend their time talking about cycles and protein intake with non-enthusiasts.

Although I know what you are trying to convey, I think you might've misinterpreted my post. I RARELY talk about bodybuilding and/or weightlifting with other people. The cycle talk was to give an explanation for why a student was much smaller than he had been the previous year (he's a known AAS user). I also RARELY discuss protein intake except when asked about it by my roommates or friends. I'm not one to wear garish bbing t-shirts or constantly discuss weight training or IFBB contests. If anything, I shy away from it as I don't yet have the appearance to match and get a bit embarrassed.

However, if they DID, I doubt they'd get much criticism. What people don't understand are those who are NOT elite athletes who are on the fixed 6 meal a day schedule with exact macro and micronutrients measured out... but really would benefit the most just from eating whatever they can get and training hard for a few more years.

Talk about it a little less and let the results speak for themselves. Champions never bore their friends with details on their training. They simply keep their mouths shut and do it. Once the results come, people will ask questions, but they'll be taking notes.

The other thing is... is weighing your food and chugging milk really necessary? It IS borderline obsession. Hard training and a solid diet will get you 98% of the way there. Weighing your food is on that list of things that makes up the other 2%. The other 2% that most people don't need. Hell, even elite athletes don't weigh their food; they have a ballpark idea of their caloric intake, but certainly not to the gram. I'd look at you funny too.

Unfortunately for me, to see any progress whether in strength or size I have to track my intake daily. I have too high of a metabolism to eat at my body's natural caloric preferences for the day. It definitely IS an obsession, but I'm damn focused on getting as muscular as possible and this is the only way. Some people with better genetics may not have to resort to such measures, but I have to. And the chugging milk is also necessary when one's at school and the cafeteria is loaded with mainly unhealthy foods to eat. I need to get quality nutrients from somewhere and milk is the cheapest option.

If you're getting negative feedback from people on these things...ignorance aside, chances are it's not healthy eating and lifting that they don't understand, it's the obsession.

If my responses come off as angry or irritated they aren't meant to.

I'm not here to argue point by point. I think many of us were similarly obsessed at some point.

Good luck to you.

House Lannister
    I'm not here to argue point by point. I think many of us were similarly obsessed at some point.

Good luck to you.
    I didn't mean to come off as argumentative. He11, your testimonials in your sig prove that arguing would be futile, you're always right . You definitely made some good points in your post that I think many of us (including me) need to hear from time to time. I just wanted to clarify.

If you don't mind me asking, what did your diet and training look like when you made most of your gains? Those are some impressive stats in your sig.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 09-20-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:07 AM.

...and this is why they call us meatheads.
    Think what you will I guess but you sound more like her than someone I'd listen to. It's the problem of the people who are wrong, and they are. You can't argue with physical results, and I'm tired of talking...

Codeguru
    Last edited by Codeguru; 09-21-2010 at 04:08 AM.

LuNa

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Belial, excellent post and I completely agree with you.

I know several people here must shake their head at me sometimes when they read my simple approach to training. I mean they must think I'm nuts because I only workout a two or three days a week, only use a handful of exercises, don't take a host of supplements, only have a general idea of what I'm going to eat, don't obssess over bodyfat percentage, and I'm more concerned with recovery than I am about hitting my upper/inner chest muscles. Yet I've added over 300 lbs to my squats and deads, and I've gained 80 lbs of bodyweight. When people on the street ask me for advice, I just tell them, "I eat good," because they'd never believe the truth.

Okay, end of MY rant
    Two great posts, which only for the content in them, deserve to be read multiple times. I agree and feel that most of us, could make better gains, if we wouldnt obsess that much. It is however, hard to not obsess about something you love.

If you don't mind me asking, what did your diet and training look like when you made most of your gains? Those are some impressive stats in your sig.
    Couldn't tell you, mate. I got a meal framework that includes a cup of oats and yogurt for breakfast, and my dinners I shoot for about a cup of brown rice or third of a box of pasta and pound of some sort of meat... and try to get between 3000 and 3600 calories a day. More if running.

That's about it. Training is four days a week, loose westside framework, marathon training on weekends these days.

Codeguru- You're welcome to listen to whomever you want. As you said, you can't argue with physical results. Back when I started and weighed my food, ate 6 meals a day, and breathed bodybuilding, I'd never believe it could be any other way.

...My best gains came long after that.