Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: My never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er)

My never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er)

So I've finally decided to make one of these. I've been on just about every damn program out there but I've only given about 2 of them a shot (3+ months). I change programs all the time because of one thing I don't like, or another program that I read up on that's the BeSTesT ProGrAm OuT tHEre that'll get you HYYYOOOGGEE!!1!! From bodybuilding routines, to strength training routines, you name them, I've probably done them...or something similar to it.

It's time to settle down on, none other than westside. My bands have arrived, I just finished making some boards for myself from 1-5. I've always been very small and very weak. I graduated high school at 128 lbs @ 5'9". I'm now 21, 170 lbs @ 5'9". My goals as of now and always have been about size and aesthetics. I want to be as large, as lean and proportioned as possible. Hopefully step on stage as well. But who knows, I love training in the lower rep ranges with much heavier poundages and may be stepping on a platform. Either way, I want to compete at some point.

My strength has really plateaued in the past year using bodybuilding routines. Come to think of it, my physique has too. This I can blame on lack of control over diet, and not being able to make consistant PR's. But my dedication and commitment have always been something to be proud of. So I've decided to start training solely for strength and bring it right up so down the road, it will be much easier to put on some good quality mass when I start training in higher rep ranges and my CNS is better developed. And I'm sure through this journey I'll be able to put on some quality mass as well, especially considering how strict my diet is now. I've just started tracking everything I eat and shooting for a gain of 1 lb/week and so far, it's been a success. Hopefully the majority of it has been muscle mass. As pathetic as my total is now, I've come a long way. Right now it's sitting at about 780 lbs.

So, let's get this show on the road.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I train in my basement. It's pretty small, but it gets the job done.

Rack, adjustable bench, mili press bench, weights to about 500 lbs, dumbbells from 10-90 lbs in 2.5 increments and a spinner. I also just made myself boards from 1-5 and ordered minis, monster minis and light bands from elitefts too.

Here's what it looks like:

Last edited by Keith; 03-21-2008 at 09:06 PM.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Finally, a place where I can rag on your skinny ass to eat more!

Since I usually train alone, I put a small eyelet in each side of my boards so I can strap it around my chest with a bungee cord. It prevents it from sliding into my face. Just something you might consider if you don't always have somebody to hold your boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

What up, bro. Nice setup! Love the board presses and bands going on there, heh. Hopefully that milk crate doesn't blow up durring box squats on you...wouldn't feel very nice, lol. I've seen a few snap apart before...probably just user malfuction though. I see you made great use of the Arnold's Bible on your wall too, hah! I have the same Power Blocks as well. Gonna kick some ass for sure now, bro. Looking forward to more pics and the workouts.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I give up! I can't spend anymore time trying to resize those pics! **** I hate computers. I have no patience for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Finally, a place where I can rag on your skinny ass to eat more!

Since I usually train alone, I put a small eyelet in each side of my boards so I can strap it around my chest with a bungee cord. It prevents it from sliding into my face. Just something you might consider if you don't always have somebody to hold your boards.
    Yeah, yeah. From here on out, I don't think I'll need more motivation to eat more, I think I finally have it under control. I never did until I started tracking calories. I had a bulk that got out of control and a couple of "cuts" that made me sacrifice too much muscle mass. I could use the motivation to lift more from you, though! Getting past my personal bests are getting more and more difficult these days which is another reason why I made a journal. I figured if I needed some support/advice, it would be here.

Every Sunday I actually go to another Fitness Depot location and train there so I made this my ME bench day. It's the only day where I actually need someone there. That's a good idea, though. Dan also recommended just wrapping the bands around the thing and yourself. So if I can't make it out on Sundays, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    What up, bro. Nice setup! Love the board presses and bands going on there, heh. Hopefully that milk crate doesn't blow up durring box squats on you...wouldn't feel very nice, lol. I've seen a few snap apart before...probably just user malfuction though. I see you made great use of the Arnold's Bible on your wall too, hah! I have the same Power Blocks as well. Gonna kick some ass for sure now, bro. Looking forward to more pics and the workouts.
    Thanks for stopping in. I noticed you're another journal whore. Should be nice getting to know you guys. I'll try to stop in to everyone else's journals as well. The milk crate is beginning to cave in. I need to make myself a box with 3 different heights. Arnold's Bible is only good for pics, lol. Powerblocks FTW!!! I'll never get rid of or sell those.

As far as the routine goes, here it is:

Day 1

ME Bench: (flat, incline, floor, 2 board) 1-3 RM
    4-5 board: 1-5 RM
    Yates rows: 4x10
    Chins: 4x8
    Biceps: whatever

Day 3

ME Sqaut: (back squat, wide-stance box squat) 1-3 RM
    GM: 3-5 RM
    Calf raises: 4x12
    Reverse hyper: 3x10
    Reverse crunch: 3x10

Day 5

DE Bench: 6-8x3 @ 50%, 55%, 60%
    Military press: 4x10
    Kroc rows: 4x10
    Rear delt raises (Coleman style): 3x10
    JM press: 3x10

Day 6

DE Sqaut: 6-8x2 @ 50%, 55%, 60%
    Deadlift: 1-3 RM
    Lunges: 4x10
    Reverse crunch: 4x10

Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Keith; 03-21-2008 at 09:57 PM.

thats a sweet home setup. good luck with the journal
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

As for now, I'll be using bands every DE day. I probably won't be trying them out on ME days anytime soon. Sound okay?

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    thats a sweet home setup. good luck with the journal
    Thanks!

Banned
    how much did the power rack cost? just the rack/oh **** bars (what you drop the bar on if your squatting alone and fail)

The retail price of that rack is $698. But I get all this stuff at cost.
    Last edited by Keith; 03-21-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Banned
    ok, ill get that as soon as i sell my kidney due to too much protein intake

Quote Originally Posted by failed View Post
    ok, ill get that as soon as i sell my kidney due to too much protein intake
    Search around on craig's list or ebay. You'll find one much cheaper. And stop reading Men's Health magazines.

Day 6

DE Squat:

Added mini's (double choked)
    45x5
    95x2
    115x2
    115x2
    115x2
    115x2
    115x2
    115x2

Narrow-stance sumo dead:
    135x5
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    300x1 PR w/ belt

Lunges:
    25x10
    35x8
    45x6
    45x6

Reverse crunch:
    BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx10

Just playin' around with the bands and the weight for bands. First time using them. Not sure if I'm using the right weight but my 1 RM is roughly 245 lbs. 115 lbs sound right to use? I was going to go light with the deads because I was coming off a week without training due to a lower back injury but back felt nice with no pain in that area so I decided to throw the belt on, warm up thoroughly and give'r. Came out with a PR so I'm happy. Brought the reps down with the lunges because I know the DOMS would be nasty considering it's been a week since I've trained last.

Hey a new journal to whore, fun stuff! Westside can be a great template once you figure out what works for yourself. Eat alot, train heavy and the rest will come. Best of luck with your goals bro.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Just playin' around with the bands and the weight for bands. First time using them. Not sure if I'm using the right weight but my 1 RM is roughly 245 lbs. 115 lbs sound right to use?

115lbs sounds good. Just make sure they're FAST! If they're too slow, drop the weight.

Home gym is indeed great...you can't go wrong Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Hey a new journal to whore, fun stuff! Westside can be a great template once you figure out what works for yourself. Eat alot, train heavy and the rest will come. Best of luck with your goals bro.
    So I've heard. I'm going to play around with a few things with this routine but keep most of the layout the same. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    115lbs sounds good. Just make sure they're FAST! If they're too slow, drop the weight.
    They did seem fast. Not super fast, but a decent speed. I'll change up the weight next week and see what I prefer. Does it make sense to use bands every DE day? And on DE squat day, I use a box, would you sit back like you usually would then explode up or touch and go because of the bands?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Home gym is indeed great...you can't go wrong Keith.
    Thanks, Cocoa. I knew you'd be stopping by. You're the biggest journal whore of them all!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Search around on craig's list or ebay. You'll find one much cheaper. And stop reading Men's Health magazines.
    you got me on that one

Sweet set-up. Good luck.

You got it keith. How long did it take for you to get ur ****? Seemed like it was only a couple days
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

awesome setup you have keith. ill remember that when i get some money to set up my own someday! good work in here also!! for some reason your routine looks more 'unique' than others with the 'kroc' and 'reverse' and stuff haha!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    You got it keith. How long did it take for you to get ur ****? Seemed like it was only a couple days
    Do you mean bands? They only took a couple of days from elitefts.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    awesome setup you have keith. ill remember that when i get some money to set up my own someday! good work in here also!! for some reason your routine looks more 'unique' than others with the 'kroc' and 'reverse' and stuff haha!
    Lol thanks.

Have you seen what kroc rows are? Search them on youtube. They're not much different from one-arm rows. And reverse crunches with added weight off a chin bar is the best ab exercise IMO.
    Last edited by Keith; 03-22-2008 at 12:19 PM.

I'M SO JEALOUS OF YOUR BASEMENT SETUP...in all seriousness it looks awesome bro
    Crushing weights, pounding shakes, devouring food...bulking up this beanpole
    Height: Too Tall Weight: Not big enough Age: Young and naive

Thanks a lot, bro. I'm pretty happy with it now too. I always like to add some sort of change to keep it interesting. My sister and her fiance are actually moving down there in the next couple of months because their condo has been delayed. So I'll have to move everything in the garage from mid June-October or so. I'm actually pumped about that. A LOT more room to work with. Those months are perfect to be training in the garage too, winter will be far too cold so hopefully they'll be in their condo around October so I can move back into my basement.

How much did you have to pay in brokerage fees for your bands?