Thread: what to do? stuck on bench

what to do? stuck on bench

I've been doing a pseudo-starting strength-esque program for awhile and my bench is stuck between:
    175 x 3 x 5 - 180 x 3 x 5

current lifts:

dead
    285 x 1 x 5
    squat
    225 x 3 x 5
    OH press
    130 x 5
    130 x 5
    125 x 5
    bench
    175 x 3 x 5
    powerclean
    150 x 5 x 3
    pull ups
    3 x 6
    dips
    3 x 11

my bodyweight: 184

I don't have any problems with anything but my bench and OH press, everything else goes up
    especially powercleans, they've felt very light lately and have been helping my deadlift
    I'm also willing to have my OH press sit around the same weight right now as long as my damn bench goes up

could I use a method of conditioning that wouldn't interrupt my routine and help increase my bench?

should I just eat more?

should I deload on bench? I already deloaded 2x, 1 of the times was gaining lost strength

here's a link to my journal, which shows what I've been doing for the past few weeks: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...19#post2380319
    Last edited by Jacob R.; 09-19-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Download my Up Your Bench program (free): http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...lbs-in-30-days!

It works. No ifs, ands, or buts, it works and I guarantee it will get you out of your rut. Don't half-ass it. Follow the program to a "T" and you will be thanking me in a month (oh, and for all you cheapies, at least use RESULTS with the program).
    Last edited by chris mason; 09-19-2010 at 05:49 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Eat like a pig and deload or go to about 85% of your max and just max it out as many reps as you can and just keep moving up.
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Download my Up Your Bench program (free): http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...lbs-in-30-days!

It works. No ifs, ands, or buts, it works and I guarantee it will get you out of your rut. Don't half-ass it. Follow the program to a "T" and you will be thanking me in a month (oh, and for all you cheapies, at least use RESULTS with the program).
    I'm very interested in running this, I plan on finding my max next week. I was just curious, I know this will make my bench go up, but after the 30 days will I still be able OH press the same amount of weight after not OH pressing for so long? same with pull ups, etc.

I'm just a beginner and I'm basically asking, can I maintain strength in a lift without doing the specific movement?

I had a craptastic bench stuck at around 170 x 5 x 3. I did a whole lot of accesory work without benching for a few weeks, not on purpose either. My bench was so bad that I actually never worked on it. After doing a crap load of accessory work without even benching, my bench went up, and I can push through those sticking points that used to kill me. I think without actually performing the OHP, you'll still be able to press the same amount or more after the program Chris has showed you. It's a great program, follow it, you'll see progress.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post

I have always wanted to try this program. I'm going to try and give it a shot after my meet in October.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo