Thread: Manta Ray or Sting Ray for Squats

Banned

Manta Ray or Sting Ray for Squats

I was considering purchasing the Manta Ray for squats, and if I like that, the Sting Ray for front squats.

I'd like your input if you have or have used either of these products - Is it comfortable? Has it improved your squat? Any pluses or minuses of using either product? Is it worth the $40 price tag?

Thanks
    Chris

Don't buy either of those. Just get used to squatting without any pads and you'll be fine.

Don't use one, it's safer to have the bar resting on your back. Not to mention, who wants to use a pussy pad
    Last edited by Cards; 09-19-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member MyWeightLifting's Avatar
    Don't buy them.

I've tried the Manta Ray before, and not very comfortable to use; I think awkward would describe the feeling of my experience. And the edges left marks on my upper back and traps from broken blood vessels due to downward pressure from the weight.

I'd say you're best off saving your money, and just bare-back-barring it. It really shouldn't take more than a few squat sessions until the bar feels completely natural. If not, you may be resting the barbell on your actual spine... which of course is not a good thing; or you may have a pinched nerve in that area, but I think that pain would be quite obvious.

If you really have your heart set on using some kind of squat-assisting apparatus, then just get the regular (foam) squat pad. Or if you want to save money, you can just wrap a thick towel around the bar... and voila!

But again, you probably don't need anything.

P.S.

As for the Sting Ray, that just looks way to odd. If you're having trouble with the grip on front squats (it's definitely a pain in the ass to learn), then I recommend watching the Squat Rx #15 front squat video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRmdtSvmQQ

...It shows a few helpful grip variations, as well as techniques and exercises that help you transition into being able to perform front squats with correct (and comfortable) grip and bar placement.
    Last edited by MyWeightLifting; 09-20-2010 at 01:08 AM.
    If you liked my post, you'll probably like my weight lifting information site too. Check it out, Slime!

Banned
    Thanks MyWeightLifting. That's what I was looking for.

My opinion on the matter of pads (fwiw): http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2010/07/...-with-pad.html
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Louie Simmons and a lot of the westside guys use the mantra ray when squatting to change the dynamics of the lift (or at least they used to since I don't train there I have no idea if they still do or not). Doubt it had anything to do with using a pussy pad.

Banned
    That's the problem with this forum and other BB forums. Someone asks a legit question and you get the "real men" don't use the pussy pad crap or gloves (in another post). Seems like everyone is out to knock the other guy down in these forums. There's usually more bitch fighting than useful inf0 going around in posts here. I've been working out for 10plus years - I'm 35. I kinda like the reasonable approach - I don't think because the bar digs in one's back makes them more or less of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIsDaBoy View Post
    There's usually more bitch fighting than useful inf0 going around in posts here. .
    Actually, I think you'll find very little of that behavior here. It mostly pops up in posts about using training aides like gloves, straps, mantrays, and any excuse not to squat. Otherwise, I've seen thousands of threads that are both civil and helpful. Maybe the few bad posts are just standing out and rubbing you the wrong way.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    It mostly pops up in posts about using training aides like gloves, straps, mantrays, and any excuse not to squat.
    It could be insinuations like this that do little.

I was looking for feedback from anyone who used the product.

I didn't intend my post to be rude, it was just poking fun at the manta ray pad.

There are plenty of reasons to not use a pad while squatting, the primary one is safety. I agree with OffRoad, this board is more of a community than most, the information here is helpful, but we also have a sense of humor
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Oh and cards I was joking too btw, I wouldn't be surprised if the WSB guys didn't refer to it as a pussy pad too.

I was looking for feedback from anyone who used the product.
    Which is why I didn't respond to the post
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It could be insinuations like this that do little.
    I'm guessing you've had a bad day. It wasn't an insinuation, it was a clarification.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

i kinda agree that the guys on this forum can be too critical about the dumbest things sometimes. like if someone posts a form check video of themselves lifting with gloves, or wearing a wife beater (or god forbid some sort of american eagle shirt), you can bet they'll get a few "WHY ARE YOU WEARING THOSE????" comments. same with this manta ray thing, i think Sensei's little writeup says it all, but because it's perceived as unmanly everyone condemns it right away. if you can Squat 335 bareback but 365 with the manta ray, use the ****ing manta. why not

and here i am being critical right now. god damn it
    Last edited by Dgro; 09-20-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

I hear what you are saying, but then again this place is head and shoulders above other places. And whatever razing people get here is nothing compared to stuff I hear in the gym or when I played sports.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I'm guessing you've had a bad day. It wasn't an insinuation, it was a clarification.
    And you're a moderator here?

Obviously you are insistant in starting trouble in this thread. Nobody is attacking you, so there is no reason to be all upset. I believe you are mis-reading what people are trying to say. And yes, I am a moderator, which gives me the power to close threads that start to get heated
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal