The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gaining muscle mass, but keeping testosterone levels low

hi, long time lurker, I only started posting recently.

crib notes at bottom.

I'm 22 and I never had acne at all thru highschool or university. About 8 months ago, I started really taking training seriously, strict diet, sleeping right, eating whatever was in sight, eating cleanly etc.

I followed a low rep/high weight program which worked wonders, I shot up from 140 to 165 in about 6 months, using every tip & tactic I could to get the edge, without steriod use. The only suppliment I took was prolab protein (cycling b/w N large2 & Advance whey)

At this time though I started to develop some serious acne. My doctor confirmed that it was not due to my diet, as we tried cycling on and off various aspects of my diet (dairy, wheat, etc). I took various antibiotics (doxycycline, minocyclin) to no avail.

It was finally concluded that though since I never had acne before, my acne was a direct result of an increase in testosterone - caused by my training. I forget the exact figure, but my doc advised me that the testosterone level in my blood may have shot up as much as 40% from the intense excercise.

So what I need to decide now is a) stop training altogether - which is something I don't want to do b/c I was super skinny in H.S and I really like the results I have gotten.

I would really like to keep putting on mass, even if it is at a decreased rate. Is there any methods/ ways to increase mass while keeping the testosterone levels down?

the last thing I want to do is just not train at all and watch the 25 lbs of mass I worked so hard for slowly fade away.

perhaps a higher rep/ lower weight combination?

or stick to a low rep/high weight program, but maybe do 30 mins of cardio after to lower the test. levels? I have heard that extensive aerobic excercise can actually lower testosterone levels.

I really have no idea and that is why I ask for help.

Any input that can be shared would be appreciated

CN: is it possible to keep gaining mass, but keeping testosterone levels relatively low, - to that of someone that doesn't train
    Last edited by Shabaz; 05-03-2004 at 03:21 PM.
    In war it's not who's right. It's who's left.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

it could be that your pores are being clogged with oils and dirt and when you used a cleaning agent ie oxy you are not closing the newly cleaned pores which would leave them open again for infection. i would try and treat for oily skin if that is the case. i did bloodwork and my test levels were extremely low at 238 where the range was 140 to 689. i would continue with the same routine since its working and then address the pore issue.

Use good acne fighters. I had a serious problem when I was in high school, and I didn't even lift at that time. Funny how my acne left when I started to lift.

If you're quitting lifting just because of acne problems, that's pretty lame.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your main question. No, you can't gain very well with low testosterone levels. That's one of the reasons why women can't gain as fast as men.
    Last edited by alterego; 05-03-2004 at 04:13 PM.

The testosterone elevation that sometimes occurs following a workout is transient. Testosterone levels often return to baseline levels in under an hour. There is some evidence that this type of transient change does not influence integrated area under the curve when measured for longer periods. In other words the short boost in testosterone may be made up by smaller production later. I doubt that this small boost is enough to significantly influence your acne. However, other changes you made may have more lasting influences. For example you mentioned changing your diet. Diet changes can have significant and lasting influences on testosterone levels:

The study at http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/49 and article at http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...on/diet-01.htm give a good summary on how diet affects testosterone level. The first study found the following correlations between dietary nutrients, listed highest to lowest:

MUFA, g · 1,000 kcal1 · day1 ______ 0.79
    SFA, g · 1,000 kcal1 · day1 _______ 0.77
    Fat, % ________________________ 0.72*
    Cholesterol, mg · 1,000 kcal1 · day1_ 0.53
    PUFA, g · 1,000 kcal1 · day1 ______ 0.25
    Protein/fat _____________________ 0.16
    CHO/fat _______________________ 0.16
    Energy, kJ ____________________ -0.18
    Dietary fiber, g · 1,000 kcal1 · day1 -0.19
    CHO, % _______________________ -0.30
    Protein/CHO ___________________ -0.59
    PUFA/SFA _____________________ -0.63
    Protein, % ____________________ -0.71*

If the alterations in your diet caused you to correct deficiencies in nutrients such as magnesium or zinc, that could also boost testosterone levels. The clothing worn during your workouts, friction, and sweat could also encourage acne. There are many possible factors.

If you are having serious acne problems, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist (I am guessing your doctor is a general physician). There are many effective protocols involving more than just oral antibiotics. Benzoyl peroxide washes/solutions, Retin A, or topical antibiotics (Duac gel) might be included.

i'm a bit skeptical that the training caused the acne via testoterone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    i'm a bit skeptical that the training caused the acne via testoterone.
    I'm not. Not at all. I've seen it before in myself and in others.

I've even had acne set in as late as 29 years old, several weeks after getting back into lifting again.
    I really do believe that lifting right raises natural testosterone.

Now, to comment on the original post, I just want to say, don't fear the testosterone. Testosterone is your friend. Testosterone GOOD!
    Yeah, outbreaks of acne suck. Some teenagers have to deal bad cases of acne, so there are things you can do about it, including stuff your doctor can help you with.
    Start with stridex and all that over the counter stuff.

All that is true, i Got Back Acne Pretty Bad,Between Romboids, Before training i didn't got any Acne(162lbs) .Standing Now at 203 Lbs. I got some only on my back.Just keep training hard and raise that Testotesrone ,acne worht it. Get a Tan man it will help.
    Last edited by 347D1SC; 05-03-2004 at 09:21 PM.

Wannabebig New Member

I have the answer

Yes testosterone is directly related to DHT and increased activity in sebaceous glands. Accutane is an ACNE treatment which has the effect of decreasing testosterone levels. Accutane is a retinoic acid also known as isotretinoin. It prevents the conversion of testosterone into its active form in cells. SO if you can get a dermatologist to prescribe you accutane you will loose the acne and your testosterone levels will decrease to about 10-20% of their current levels

There are many, many factors at play here. Correlation is not causation.

How can you be sure it's not your diet? Have you tried taking milk/dairy out of your diet for 30 days? How about grains/gluten based products?

It could be just your hormones... 22 years old is still pretty young. I am 25 and have flair ups on my back occasionally.

In high school, I had TERRIBLE back acne. I had it without touching weights. I took accutane and it cleared it up nicely.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 08-26-2010 at 06:39 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Grow a beard and some body hair.

I'm sure the OP got things figured out in the last 6 years
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

For sure, but this is for everyone's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by lawndarts View Post
    For sure, but this is for everyone's benefit.
    So, growing a beard and body hair benefits everyone how?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Because you'll look like Chuck Norris. The guys will envy you and the girls will love you. Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by lawndarts View Post
    Because you'll look like Chuck Norris. The guys will envy you and the girls will love you. Duh!
    Good answer
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Well...

I hate to break the news to you but it is the stuff you are taking

I started to take creatine and i started getting acne and i didnt care i got amazing results! but after getting annoyed with the increase of the acne I stopped and now my skin is repairing. Stop the stuff for a couple months yes a couple months and i guarantee you will have no breakouts!

The helpers are a BIG toll on your digestive system and if you have anything but an iron stomach your going to have to deal with side effects and if your not happy with the side effects our case breakouts and such your gonna have to quit.

Im eating REALLY big now and im almost at the same point I was only a month or two without creatine and Still climbing. I do admit that creatine did make working out easier and made me more angry or whatever to do heavier weight and such but id rather have a clear face then have a perfect workout.... if that makes sense to anyone but me.....
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

I never thought I'd see the day when a man wanted to produce less test. It's a phase, don't worry about it, a lot of it is your age as well. I broke out a lot in my early twenties, you'll grow out of it soon enough, just keep doign whatever you're doing and know that the acne is only temporary.

He's pushing 29 by now...this thread is over 6 years old and was bumped by a spammer (got deleted).
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Oh snap! Didn't even notice. lol

Wannabebig New Member
    what about replacing whey protein with soy protein? all those phyto-estrogens might help

Wannabebig New Member
    I would just like to add it's cliff notes not crib.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabaz View Post
    hi, long time lurker, I only started posting recently.

crib notes at bottom.

I'm 22 and I never had acne at all thru highschool or university. About 8 months ago, I started really taking training seriously, strict diet, sleeping right, eating whatever was in sight, eating cleanly etc.

I followed a low rep/high weight program which worked wonders, I shot up from 140 to 165 in about 6 months, using every tip & tactic I could to get the edge, without steriod use. The only suppliment I took was prolab protein (cycling b/w N large2 & Advance whey)

At this time though I started to develop some serious acne. My doctor confirmed that it was not due to my diet, as we tried cycling on and off various aspects of my diet (dairy, wheat, etc). I took various antibiotics (doxycycline, minocyclin) to no avail.

It was finally concluded that though since I never had acne before, my acne was a direct result of an increase in testosterone - caused by my training. I forget the exact figure, but my doc advised me that the testosterone level in my blood may have shot up as much as 40% from the intense excercise.

So what I need to decide now is a) stop training altogether - which is something I don't want to do b/c I was super skinny in H.S and I really like the results I have gotten.

I would really like to keep putting on mass, even if it is at a decreased rate. Is there any methods/ ways to increase mass while keeping the testosterone levels down?

the last thing I want to do is just not train at all and watch the 25 lbs of mass I worked so hard for slowly fade away.

perhaps a higher rep/ lower weight combination?

or stick to a low rep/high weight program, but maybe do 30 mins of cardio after to lower the test. levels? I have heard that extensive aerobic excercise can actually lower testosterone levels.

I really have no idea and that is why I ask for help.

Any input that can be shared would be appreciated

CN: is it possible to keep gaining mass, but keeping testosterone levels relatively low, - to that of someone that doesn't train
    1 word, "roaccutane" i had severe acne and this cleared it right up!! only thing that worked and only given out by hospital prescription in northern ireland because its so potent