The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEW ARTICLE - DC TRAINING Declassified: The Definitive Guide

Since its origin fifteen to twenty years ago, DC Training has slowly matured as a muscle-building system, steadily picking up positive buzz, a fast-growing group of new advocates (in both number and body mass), and a more solid rep over the years.

With pros like David Henry, Mark Dugdale, and fast-rising amateur Dusty Hanshaw talking about DC Training, that growth doesn’t seem to be leveling off any time soon.

Apply mental toughness and consistency to this program and you might be shocked by the changes in your physique!

READ HERE - DC TRAINING Declassified: The Definitive Guide
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Fantastic article as usual, however the majority of the images fail to load for me FWIW.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

thanks for the feedback!

Try the images now
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Garage Lifter
    great article Steve!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

House Lannister
    Great article!

There's some real quality content coming out of this website. Much more so than the other major muscle websites.

Steve, it's nice to see a writer cite his sources for once!

One question I do have though: Why are smith and/or hammer machines usually prescribed for DC? Is it simply too difficult/unsafe to do slow negatives and RP sets with free weights?

How many people here have done DC? TP I know you have and love it. What are some others results?

Garage Lifter
    [QUOTE=chevelle2291;2381056]Is it simply too difficult/unsafe to do slow negatives and RP sets with free weights?/QUOTE]

This, there are a few versions floating around that use free weights, a power rack and a good spotter.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Great article!

There's some real quality content coming out of this website. Much more so than the other major muscle websites.

One question I do have though: Why are smith and/or hammer machines usually prescribed for DC? Is it simply too difficult/unsafe to do slow negatives and RP sets with free weights?

How many people here have done DC? TP I know you have and love it. What are some others results?
    You adeptly answered your own question. Machines (especially Smith and Hammer Strangth units) are a mainstay since they allow for safety and quick and easy racking which you are catching your breath between drops. While strength increases are a huge component and goal of DC Training, less interest is placed on neuromuscular considerations (such as powerlifters of football players wanting to build explosiveness and athletic power) because you are shooting for extending the duration of the set for hypertrophy purposes.

You can imagine that doing a Hammer DY Row (the seated row with the chest support) would work much better than a Bent Barbell Row if you were setting down the weight twice for rest pauses, as well as being safer on the lower back. If you are using wrist straps, that might REALLY slow things down.

DC trainees still frequently incorporate very heavy Rack Pulls, so don't worry, you won't get too machine-based.
    Last edited by Steve Colescott; 09-21-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Banned
    "If I deadlift 620 pounds and set a new standard for myself, then why should I ever drop below that standard when I already proved to myself I can do 620 pounds"

Do they mean to never drop down your poundages workout to workout? So basically, opposite of 5/3/1?

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    "If I deadlift 620 pounds and set a new standard for myself, then why should I ever drop below that standard when I already proved to myself I can do 620 pounds"

Do they mean to never drop down your poundages workout to workout? So basically, opposite of 5/3/1?
    No. I need to read the article to get the whole picture of what it is statng, but DC is a long term progression. You go blast to blast. You don't start back up where left off. The negative rep speed has also gotten blown out of proportion. It needs to be controlled.

Just get under the bar!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    You adeptly answered your own question. Machines (especially Smith and Hammer Strangth units) are a mainstay since they allow for safety and quick and easy racking which you are catching your breath between drops. While strength increases are a huge component and goal of DC Training, less interest is placed on neuromuscular considerations (such as powerlifters of football players wanting to build explosiveness and athletic power) because you are shooting for extending the duration of the set for hypertrophy purposes.

You can imagine that doing a Hammer DY Row (the seated row with the chest support) would work much better than a Bent Barbell Row if you were setting down the weight twice for rest pauses, as well as being safer on the lower back. If you are using wrist straps, that might REALLY slow things down.

DC trainees still frequently incorporate very heavy Rack Pulls, so don't worry, you won't get too machine-based.
    Hmm interesting and thanks for the response. I guess that would be tough to do especially if you are pretty strong as you should be before doing this program. Maybe once I get my numbers up higher I'll give this program a shot.

Another question: Is this a program you can effectively run all year, even during bulk/cut cycles? Or is it too taxing during a hard period of dieting?

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post

Yes, that is what they mean.

One thing you will notice when examining different training protocols is that the more volume-based systems often have some type of periodization element, deloading or "coaxing" of growth with the HIT-based programs do not seem to require that. Both work.

Many of the DC advocates I interviewed rave about the system but admit to getting burnt out on it. Trudel also acknowedges that it is not for everyone. Some I spoke to even said DC Training is great for getting big but is not something they currently do, which I took as an aknowledgement of their current limitations (both of connective tissue and mental drive). They ALL spoke highly of Dante Trudel and when I spoke to him in the past he impressed me as a good guy.
    Last edited by Steve Colescott; 09-21-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Very good summary article. Most people here should not train with this program. If you do feel ready, research beyond this article,

Just get under the bar!

Yes, that is what they mean.

One thing you will notice when examining different training protocols is that the more volume-based systems often have some type of periodization element, deloading or "coaxing" of growth with the HIT-based programs do not seem to require that. Both work.

Many of the DC advocates I interviewed rave about the system but admit to getting burnt out on it. Trudel also acknowedges that it is not for everyone. Some I spoke to even said DC Training is great for getting big but is not something they currently do, which I took as an aknowledgement of their current limitations (both of connective tissue and mental drive). They ALL spoke highly of Dante Trudel and when I spoke to him in the past he impressed me as a good guy.
    It isn't that simple though, If one finishes a blast dl'ing 620 for 4, they probably are starting the next blast a little lower weight and working to get beyond that 620 for 4, say 645 for 5 in the next blast, It is a program that is very simple, yet flexible.

Just get under the bar!

Hmm interesting and thanks for the response. I guess that would be tough to do especially if you are pretty strong as you should be before doing this program. Maybe once I get my numbers up higher I'll give this program a shot.

Another question: Is this a program you can effectively run all year, even during bulk/cut cycles? Or is it too taxing during a hard period of dieting?
    Although it seems odd to answer questions since it IS someone else's program, I will give it a shot. From the people I have spoken to, both prior to and during the course of writing this article, that use DC Training, there is no definitive answer. Many use DC style training right through their contest prep. Others find they prefer to back away from it during contest prep. I suspect the variance may be similar to how some are able to diet without loss of strength while other get noticeably weaker on a strict diet.

For those that want to try DC Training, I would first off make sure that you are advanced enough to withstand it and benefit from the protocol. Secondly, use it first in the off-season when big eating can help you get the most from the hard training. If you have done DC for six months with liberal food consumption, then consider whether you think you want to use it while dieting. Some athletes like Mark Dugdale use aspects of DC Training mixed in with their own ideas. Dusty Hanshaw told me the other day that he is mixing another training system in with DC Training to bring up weak bodyparts (certain weekly sessions in DC style, other bodyparts done following an alternative protocol). I may be able to share some more about this in the near future.

With all these ideas, you need to make them your own and take full credit and responsibility for your implimentation of them. Dante Trudel put some serious thought into his methods and should be credited for getting people to think about their training.
    Last edited by Steve Colescott; 09-21-2010 at 04:04 PM.

GETLEAN
    What would a complete workout look like, SETS/REPS?

Steve - I love seeing a DC article, but couple things missing imo. I read this on my blackberry, so if I missed any (or all of these I apolgize).

1) I didn't see any discussion of rep ranges. Different lifts fall under different ranges.

2) I wouldn't call any DC article complete without pictures or videos of how to do the stretches. They take a while to get used to.

3) I didn't see a description of how to do calve work. It's different than most ever do, and a DC calf set is murder.

4) Again I may have missed this, but beating the log book not only means beating a weight, but could also be beating reps from a previous workout. Some exercises (especially DBs) are tough to bump every week, but you can certrainly bump your reps and that is still a beat.

I would recommend anyone interested in DC buy the DVD on trueprotein. I picked it up recently and ever after reading thousands of posts on DC and every article I could, there was still tons of info on it.

Again if I missed any of the above in the article I apologize.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Very good summary article. Most people here should not train with this program. If you do feel ready, research beyond this article,
    I know I would be done after 2 weeks if I did this workout .

Dante Trudel put some serious thought into his methods and should be credited for getting people to think about their training.

This is probably the most important thing that I picked up from reading all about DC about 1 year ago. I've done 2 cycles, one around Nov-Dec of last year and another April-May of this year, with 3 months of contest prep in between, and I can honestly say that I'm the biggest that I've ever been.

I really loved the routine, not only for the routine, but for what it helped show me. I realize that it's impossible to continuously train set after set, similar to higher volume, with the intensity that you should exert while doing the DC sets. After 5 exercises, and only 5 sets, I am simply wiped, dreched in sweat, and have a solid pump to go along with it.

Dante has really thought about the "WHY" with regards to his training philosophy. I have begun to think about why I am doing what I am doing in the gym and it's helped take me to higher levels.

I actually just begun my first day of my most recent DC cycle, and I'm really expecting some huge gains from it. I've learned more and more each cycle, and I think I'm looking to perfect this thing over the next year or so.

I'm not sure if I plan on using DC during my next contest prep, I will initially, but not sure about the last 8 weeks or so. I think you would have to simply give it a shot and play it by ear. I agree with Steve in that it may be best to give it a shot while bulking and see how it works. If you ever have constant trouble recovering between workouts while dieting then that's a sign of eventual overtraining and that you need to do something with your training, i.e. lover volume or add rest days, or change your diet and supplementation up.

I think it's been a great routine, and I've only trained with it for about 12 weeks total. It's actually changed my whole mindset on lifting. Granted I did go back to a higher volume routine over the summer, but I still tend to lean on lower volume as my method of training.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Wannabebig New Member
    This is my first post on this site as I registered about 10 minutes ago. I've been a mod at the main DC site, currently mod at Dante's company's forum and he has at least some faith in me answering questions on his program basics.

Just trying to establish that I'm not some newbie spouting off about a program I just read about yesterday.

The answer here is two fold, first and foremost if someone trains alone they need to be safe. If you are going to failure with an incline barbell it would be silly to do so without a spotter or proper power rack safety pin setup. Free weights are encouraged but be safe.

Secondly one needs a pretty wide variety of exercises to be able to swap in and out so machines and the smith bar simply add variety.

I have done it off and on for a few years and won't train any other way when I'm focused on building size.

Results are hard to remember where I started but I'd say 50-70 lbs on upper body compound moves and 100+ lbs on lower body things like stiff legs, leg presses, hacks etc. Bodyweight up a good 25-30 lbs of muscle(peak of 55 lbs over starting weight) but admittedly much time off training due to outside issues. I did an interview for T-nation a while ago and Nate Green took my "I've gained about 50 lbs but not all muscle" and then titled the article.... How to Gain 50 lbs of muscle lol
    Last edited by ScottMcD; 09-22-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMcD View Post
    This is my first post on this site as I registered about 10 minutes ago. I've been a mod at the main DC site, currently mod at Dante's company's forum and he has at least some faith in me answering questions on his program basics.
    Great to have you here...and thanks for contributing.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Great to have you here...and thanks for contributing.
    +1

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

Scott, good to have you here. Even though they are the 'enemy' , I like Dante and think his company is a good one.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the welcome all.

Great article!

A very good article indeed.

If you have a good training partner in which you can trust, you just can do ANY THING.
    I’ve cycled my chest training bench press, dumbbell incline press & Hammer press.

In the dumbbell press with 2 spotters. No problem.

I’ve even trained Military Press.

The results are great BUT YOU MUST CRUISE or you’ll get wasted.

The other thing most people miss to understand is that its not just 1 rest pause all out set and that’s it!!!
    You need to warm up and increase weights before the rest-pause. In the beginning of the training session, for example with the CHEST, I would especially recommend 3 to 4 warm ups sets, increasing weight.
    In the rest of the training session for routine A you’ll do fine with 1 or 2 sets.

I would recommend doing the same con routine B with the biceps. Maybe 2/3 series increasing weight would do fine.
    AND VERY SPECIALLY with the legs. Try to take some time to do some squats before getting to the heavy session prior to the Widowmakers.

Rgds!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post

The results are great BUT YOU MUST CRUISE or you’ll get wasted.
    Very true, and the more advanced/strong someone is the more often this will be needed.

The other thing most people miss to understand is that its not just 1 rest pause all out set and that’s it!!!
    You need to warm up and increase weights before the rest-pause
    Another good point. People often think it's like Arthur Jones HIT because of the mention of low volume. a DC trainee might come in and do

light rotator work, pushups, deep dumbbell presses with 25-45 lbs etc (whatever they need to do)
    Incline Press
    barx10
    135x12
    185x8
    225x5
    275x4(all easy warmups)
    315 x 8+4+2= 14rp

Dante calls that 1 set because he is referring to "work" sets. You can do 1, 2, 3, 10 warmups if you really need it. A guy incline pressing 185 might need 1-2 warmups whereas if we a freak who's pressing 405 for reps he might need 5.

A nice thing about the setup as you pointed out is the first exercise tends to get the body ready for the next so you don't need to start from scratch each time. I typically am only doing 1 real warmup set for triceps by the time I get there because everything is ready from the other presses I've done.