Thread: Condensed training sessions: what do you guys do when you're pressed for time?

House Lannister

Condensed training sessions: what do you guys do when you're pressed for time?

Hey guys,

Just to keep this forum a little more active, I have a question for all of you. What would be a workout you would do if you had very limited time in the gym (20-30 mins max). What are the exercises that you would do? How would you do them in terms of rest/rep range/etc.?

If I'm pressed for time, I just hit the main lift for the day (Squat, Deadlift, Bench or Press). If I still have a little time left I may hit one accessory lift. If I ever run into a bad stretch and i have very little time to devote to training, I'd just do 20 rep squats and overhead presses.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pushing those 20 reppers!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Pushing those 20 reppers!
    Pushing is such a strong term...I'm recommending
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Garage Lifter
    I do this all the time b/c of my schedule. I use 5/3/1 and with minimal rest. In 30 minutes I can do the main lift and 2 to 3 accessory lifts for 2 to 3 sets each. The other thing I do is a lot of band work, it's a lot quicker for setup and for me I don't need anywhere near as much rest between sets.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I'm on 5/3/1 and I think I could hit the main lift and 1 complete accessory lift in 30 minutes. This would be really pushing it on my deadlift day, so I might only be able to get in the main lift and some of the accessory lift.

Part of this will depend on how long it takes you to warm-up and how strong you are. For someone squatting or deadlifting 400+ for their sets it will take several warm-up sets to reach their "work sets". Personally, I would work up to a heavy 3-5 rep set on my main lift, then do a down set where I rep out somewhere between 8 and 20 reps. If I knew I had time for a couple sets of accessory work I would hit a down set of something in the 8-10 rep range (stopping a rep or two short of failure, but still a hard set). If I knew I didn't have time for any accessory work then I would shoot for something along the lines of 15-20 reps.

If I had only 20-30 minutes, I would try to re-schedule until later in the day. If I absolutely had no choice though, I would probably just do my main lift for the day (bench, squat or deadlift) and leave it at that. Perhaps with some isolation work during the rest periods.

House Lannister
    Nice feedback guys. Thanks.

How many of you do early morning workouts? I was doing 6 am workouts last week and after a Red Bull shot or a multi and caffeine tablet I was usually pretty good to go in terms of intensity and physical readiness to lift.

How do early morning workouts affect you guys?

House Lannister
    Oh, and here's what I would do if pressed for time. Say i've got 30 minutes.

5-10 minute foam roll and stretching. Just the basics.

DB LUNGE
    2 warm-up sets
    6+2+2+2

IC DB Press:
    2 quick warm-up sets
    6+2+2+2

Weighted Close-grip Chins:
    6+AMRAP-rest at hang

Weighted Close-grip Dips
    6+AMRAP-rest at top of movement

That's what I'd try and get done. You'd have to be moving quick, but I think it'd work out.

So you'd have basically your entire legs covered with the DB lunges (you could use a barbell, but it would probably take more time). I chose the lunges because I think they are an often neglected exercise that can really build up the glutes and hams as well as the quads. It can also be a great conditioning exercise.

IC press would take care of chest/shoulders.

Dips would work chest/arms.

Chins would work back/biceps. You could do these with a wider grip for more back development also.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 09-18-2010 at 12:37 AM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Part of this will depend on how long it takes you to warm-up and how strong you are. For someone squatting or deadlifting 400+ for their sets it will take several warm-up sets to reach their "work sets". Personally, I would work up to a heavy 3-5 rep set on my main lift, then do a down set where I rep out somewhere between 8 and 20 reps. If I knew I had time for a couple sets of accessory work I would hit a down set of something in the 8-10 rep range (stopping a rep or two short of failure, but still a hard set). If I knew I didn't have time for any accessory work then I would shoot for something along the lines of 15-20 reps.
    Yea, I understand this would be tough to do for stronger guys if they wanted to do a main lift (Big Three). This workout is something you would do if you have finals, a work project, or at a hotel gym and you can't devote a whole lot of time to training.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post

DB LUNGE
    2 warm-up sets
    6+2+2+2

IC DB Press:
    2 quick warm-up sets
    6+2+2+2

6+AMRAP-rest at hang

Weighted Close-grip Dips

That's what I'd try and get done. You'd have to be moving quick, but I think it'd work out.

So you'd have basically your entire legs covered with the DB lunges (you could use a barbell, but it would probably take more time). I chose the lunges because I think they are an often neglected exercise that can really build up the glutes and hams as well as the quads. It can also be a great conditioning exercise.

Chins would work back/biceps. You could do these with a wider grip for more back development also.
    I think I'd rather see you take out either the incline or dips. Just keep one. I'm a fan of dips. And instead, add a stronger posterior movement like RDL's. This would also add a bit more direct work on your traps too.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    5x5 squats pyramid style up to one heavy set.
    2 x Failure chin-ups.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Hey guys,

Just to keep this forum a little more active, I have a question for all of you. What would be a workout you would do if you had very limited time in the gym (20-30 mins max). What are the exercises that you would do? How would you do them in terms of rest/rep range/etc.?

30 mins max is the usual time I spend in the gym anyway (excluding warm-up). But to answer the questions. Deadlifts+dips OR squats+bench press+pullups OR leg press+overhead press+row. 2-3 minutes between sets for rest. Rep range would vary depending on what I am focusing on and energy levels.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    I think I'd rather see you take out either the incline or dips. Just keep one. I'm a fan of dips. And instead, add a stronger posterior movement like RDL's. This would also add a bit more direct work on your traps too.
    Well, here's why I went with the lunges. DB lunges don't need much of a warm-up as opposed to as more posterior-focused movement and they are great mass leg builders. Honestly they are probably my favorite lower movement.

Also, I approached this hypothetical situation with the idea that you don't have time to do your full program and are just trying to get a solid overall workout in. Hence I wanted to stay away from heavy posterior work as it may tax someone too heavily for a deadlift or squat workout the next day. Now, lunges done with the right intensity will still hurt like hell (they are a literal pain in the *****), but they won't fry your lower back like deads or their variations will.

Low volume routines are abbreviated by necessity. You wouldn't be doing lunges along with deadlifts and squats. That defeats the purpose of low volume.

If lunges are your favorite exercise, I would recommend pairing them with traditional deadlifts. That way you are training all the important parts but leaving room for recovery.

Of course doing more is okay if you can handle it. But then you wouldn't have the need for a low volume routine...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member MyWeightLifting's Avatar
    First, I always make sure I get a decent warm up before hand... I've learned the hard way that I'm not invincible. Anyway, my warm up is usually 5 minutes rowing machine (if it's an upper body day) or treadmill (for lower body days); followed by some static and dynamic stretching until I feel limber enough; and finally 3 or more warm up sets for the main lift.

I complete my main lift without sacrificing time between sets. But I might do calves in between sets since I've been giving them more attention lately - but I won't do anything between sets if it interferes with my ability to give maximum effort on each set...sometimes I just gotta focus.

Then I can usually superset some/most of the remaining accessory exercises without sacrificing too much load intensity because my routine is set up so that I'm essentially alternate push/pull exercises... I kind of programmed it this way because I often find myself crunched for time during the school year.
    Last edited by MyWeightLifting; 09-19-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    If you liked my post, you'll probably like my weight lifting information site too. Check it out, Slime!

Well, here's why I went with the lunges. DB lunges don't need much of a warm-up as opposed to as more posterior-focused movement and they are great mass leg builders. Honestly they are probably my favorite lower movement.

Also, I approached this hypothetical situation with the idea that you don't have time to do your full program and are just trying to get a solid overall workout in. Hence I wanted to stay away from heavy posterior work as it may tax someone too heavily for a deadlift or squat workout the next day. Now, lunges done with the right intensity will still hurt like hell (they are a literal pain in the *****), but they won't fry your lower back like deads or their variations will.
    I think I'd still go with the DB lunge, Romanian deadlifts (which arent horrible. Not like an actual deadlift at all.) Dips + chins. Hell, you could do lighter good mornings if you are worried about frying your back.

I strive for balance. 2 pressing movements with only 1 pulling movement, and 1 leg movement just doesnt seem balanced enough for me.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an "IC Press"? Why would a barbell lunge "take more time" than using dumbbells?

Why wouldn't anyone pressed for time, just choose one exercise, ONE, and pound away at it working up to a money set and then get the flock out of Dodge?

I know I've said this in posts and articles before, but 30 minutes, unless you are working up to something SIGNIFICANT, is more than enough time to work up to a heavy set in a compound exercise, or get in a chunk of auxiliary work.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...letter-Article

DB LUNGE
    2 warm-up sets
    6+2+2+2

IC DB Press:
    2 quick warm-up sets
    6+2+2+2

6+AMRAP-rest at hang

Weighted Close-grip Dips

A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    I think I'd still go with the DB lunge, Romanian deadlifts (which arent horrible. Not like an actual deadlift at all.) Dips + chins. Hell, you could do lighter good mornings if you are worried about frying your back.

I strive for balance. 2 pressing movements with only 1 pulling movement, and 1 leg movement just doesnt seem balanced enough for me.
    Tbh, I've never done a true RDL. I've done stiff deads, but never RDLs. So yea that probably would be a good movement to throw in but I'm not familiar with them so I didn't include them in my little "routine."

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is an "IC Press"? Why would a barbell lunge "take more time" than using dumbbells?

Why wouldn't anyone pressed for time, just choose one exercise, ONE, and pound away at it working up to a money set and then get the flock out of Dodge?

I know I've said this in posts and articles before, but 30 minutes, unless you are working up to something SIGNIFICANT, is more than enough time to work up to a heavy set in a compound exercise, or get in a chunk of auxiliary work.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...letter-Article
    I don't know, I just chose to split up the time to different exercises. I don't necessarily disagree with your post and to be honest, I probably would be more likely to just do one main lift (squats or deads most likely) and then one main assistance lift (chins or dips most likely). I just thought my little collection of exercises would be a fun way to hit most of the major muscle groups.

Oh, I was thinking that DB lunges would take less time because you do not have to unload the weight from the bar to ramp up or ramp down, you can just run and grab a new set of DBs. I don't use straps so I thought it'd be quicker this way and you'd get some grip/trap work in too.

And IC press is incline press. At least in the journals it is.

just ran into this situation last week... i just did my deads as usual. could've supersetted some weighted chins but i didnt want to risk missing my last DL set
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Nice feedback guys. Thanks.

How many of you do early morning workouts? I was doing 6 am workouts last week and after a Red Bull shot or a multi and caffeine tablet I was usually pretty good to go in terms of intensity and physical readiness to lift.

How do early morning workouts affect you guys?
    I lift at about 6:30am, been doing it for years though so I don't really know if a night workout would be different. No caffeine for this guy.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!