The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - A Better Workout - Pairing your Lifts for Faster Workouts

by Mike Scialabba

There's a good chance that you're spending way too much time doing nothing. What you say? Doing nothing? That's right. You go to the gym, you start your training, and you spend nearly 50- 60% of the time doing nothing, or resting, whatever you want to call it.

But I need that 90 seconds, I've got to restore my ATP right?

Sure, I suppose within a specific muscle group, yes you do. However, think about this for a second. You do a set of heavy bench press. The pecs, triceps and shoulders are all the prime movers (do the majority of the work), and the lats, traps, rhomboids and biceps are the antagonist muscles (oppose the prime movers and aid in stability and eccentric control). The ATP and energy stores within those prime movers will have been significantly tapped into for the time being.

So what do I do instead?

Now, instead of completely resting for 90 seconds, why not take 30 seconds, walk over to a seated row, and pull for a few heavy reps, now stimulating the rhomboids, lats, biceps and traps as the prime mover, and allowing the pecs, shoulders and triceps to now act as the antagonist group? Getting set up into the row will take at least 30 seconds, the set will have probably taken you about 30 seconds, and getting set back up into the bench press will probably take at least another 30 seconds. That's 90 seconds minimum of rest for the prime movers of the bench press, yet you've done twice the work load. Where's the disadvantage?

Moving back and forth through a. b. exercises (typically opposing movement patterns, but not always necessary) is a great way to speed up the workout, rev the metabolism and prevent muscle catabolism from a long winded workout. This can leave time for more SMR, mobility and conditioning within your workout, which we all know you need.

Once you try it, you''ll never go back!

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - September 22nd, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    Last edited by Joe Black; 09-22-2010 at 03:08 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nice article! I've been experimenting with this since last week and i must admit it does save alot of time. Now, i am someone who seems able to cope quite easily with long workouts, but i also suppose that my body is thankfull for that half an hour less training.

What i usually do is throw my ab workout in the mix, because most of the time these ex. are the last 20-30 minutes of my workout sessions. I might give it a try with other muscles groups as well, but i'm in a rather "crowded" gym and most of these..uhm..shall i say "beginners" tend to take your machine or cable or whatever if you're not there for 90 secs..lol.

Anyways it's funny that i was experimenting with this and now i'm reading a mini article about it; i will definitly keep trying this in all sorts of ways and if anyone has got some more tips for this, please, don't be shy.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz