Thread: Swap OH press with bench on Bill Starr's 5x5?

Swap OH press with bench on Bill Starr's 5x5?

Well you guys got me all worked up about this whole press thing... so I really want to concentrate on getting that 225 up in the next year or so. I've had good luck with Bill Starr's intermediate 5x5, which is a ramping 5 set program... 3 day a week plan. Bench on monday and fridays. Press is on Weds. I'm thinking about swapping my press and bench around so that I press 2x a week (on mondays and fridays) and bench only once (on weds). Anyone think this is okay... or am I an idiot?
    Last edited by kmagnuss; 09-24-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

The Project has Begun ProjectGoliath's Avatar
    In terms of a straight swop between bench and OH press thats fine. If you want a bigger press then do more pressing and vice versa. Are you doing strict OH press or push press or jerking it? Or just getting it up there anyhow? Cos if you just want to get a weight above your head then leg and core work would be largely beneficial...i dont know much about Bill Starr's 5x5 so take anything i say with a pinch of salt :P...

TP
    >>>>VISIT PROJECT GOLIATH <<<<

How to down Olive Oil Video

10 RULES OF GETTING MASSIVE

I thought bf% was big factor??? I was aiming high.

Here's the basic template... ramping sets with the final set being the highest of course:

Monday

•Squat: 5 sets of 5
    •Bench Press: 5 sets of 5
    •Barbell Row: 5 sets of 5
    •Assistance (optional): 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups
    Wednesday

•Squat: 4 sets of 5; First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set again
    •Incline Bench or Military Press
    •Deadlifts: 4 sets of 5
    •Assistance (optional): 3 sets of sit-ups
    Friday

•Squat: 4 sets of 5, 1 set of 3, 1 set of 8; First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    •Bench Press: 4 sets of 5, 1 set of 3, 1 set of 8; First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    •Barbell Row: 4 sets of 5, 1 set of 3, 1 set of 8; First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8
    •Assistance (optional): 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls, and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

That makes sense to me. Maybe even do two days oh press and incline Wednesday. You get those numbers up, your bench won't suffer either.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    If I wanted to focus on OH pressing while on the madcow 5x5 intermediate, here is what I would do:

- switch Monday and Friday's bench work to OH work
    - Do 5x5 for Bench on Wed instead of 4x5
    - Once you stall on OH press, switch back to Benching on Mon and Fri and OH pressing on Wed for a few weeks

The workouts on M + F are what instill progress, so by doing this swap your OH will progress fairly fast. If you stall on OH pressing, just switch back to the 2x bench a week template.

Also, for Friday's assistance, make sure you are doing weighted dips. Here is a great article about improving your Press (written by bill starr). It has a great weighted dip template that I am following and I love it
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Zj6Itr0zyldYkw

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    If I wanted to focus on OH pressing while on the madcow 5x5 intermediate, here is what I would do:

- switch Monday and Friday's bench work to OH work
    - Do 5x5 for Bench on Wed instead of 4x5
    - Once you stall on OH press, switch back to Benching on Mon and Fri and OH pressing on Wed for a few weeks
    I really, really, really like that idea.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I really, really, really like that idea.
    Agreed. That's what I'll do. Thanks a ton guys.