The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

For beginners on compound movements (benchpress, squat), 3x6 or 3x8 or 3x10?

For a beginner who wants size and strength, is it better to do 3 sets of 6 (heavy as possible) or 3 sets of 8 or 3 x 10 (all heavy as possible, usually failing on the last rep if possible)?

I heard that 6 reps isn't enough to really work the "backup muscles" (the muscles that kick in when your main muscle is exhausted), but is this true?

But I've also heard that if you are doing 10 reps, then it's not heavy enough to work the muscle as good as you should. ??

Also I'd like to know a good # of reps for smaller movements as well, such as barbell curls, skullcrushers, dumbbell rows, etc.

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    the 'backup muscle' thing you speak of is false...
    Just go 6 8 10 for reps on sets...

I was allways told do 10 reps, and if you can do 15 then raise the weight, but saposedly 10-12 rep range is good

For a beginner (one who has lifted for 0-6 months), I would suggest more rather than less... so 3 sets of 10 - 15 at first.

I would not have them train to failure until they MASTER form.

The high workload also is good for conditioning and gets them used to working thru discomfort.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yeah actually, until you've mastered form don't go low reps....save that for later...sorry, I'm a complete jackass today for some reason

LMAO.

Nothing *wrong* with low reps.. I'd just do lots more sets...

My concern is more with training to failure.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

yah, i totally forgot he was a beginner when I was replying, I'm just so out of it today