Thread: The measure of upper body strength?

Wannabebig New Member

The measure of upper body strength?

What movement best determines the measure of upper body strength? Standing OH Press, or BB/DB Bench Press? Higher numbers of muscles are recruited for the Standing OH Press. Yet Bench Press recruits one of the largest muscles in the upper body while recruiting fewer stabilizers and synergists than OH Press. Is the measure of strength based on the size of the prime movers (because deltoids are small and pectorals are large)?

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    what? How do you figure standing OH presses use more muscles? I count 2...delts and triceps....

Benching: chest, triceps, delts, (and some would claim lats...though I don't buy that)

Wannabebig New Member
    Muscle recruitment in OH Press found here
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...taryPress.html

Muscle recruitment in BB Bench Press found here
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

Ecoli die
    Are there any exercises like shotput? Maybe medicine balls? Seems like that would both recruit a lot of muscles and use the pecs, shoulders and arms? Or would those just be sports?
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    just cause it uses more doesn't mean those are major muscle groups remember. I'd go with benching, it recruits more major muscle groups.

Wannabebig New Member
    If the measure of strength based on the size of the prime mover then pull-ups would at least equal bench press.

BB Row targets the whole of the back, yet is never thought of as a measure of upper body strength in the same way bench press is.

I would think a clean and jerk would better determine upper body strength for the most part.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Out of those two, prolly Bench.

Overall I'd say either weighted dips of weighted chins.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Not to be an ass or anything, but that's kind of a bogus question IMO. You can't measure upper body strength using only one movement. If you could, the strong man contests would be pretty damn boring. There are just too many variables for that equation. Bis, tris, pecs, delts, traps, lats...etc.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I wish that pulls ups were the measure of strength...sh*t that is my favorite thing to do.

I think that it really has nothing to do with this should be it or this should be that...the average man feels that if you bench alot and can curl alot then you are strong. (show muscles, thats why they don't lift on legs)

The real BB knows better and doesn't just judge upper body strength off of benching or curls ....its more of a total package thing...atleast in my eyes.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Bench press is the upper body strenght tester, as you lower the weight you also use alot of muscles.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Originally posted by Shamik
    Not to be an ass or anything, but that's kind of a bogus question IMO. You can't measure upper body strength using only one movement. If you could, the strong man contests would be pretty damn boring. There are just too many variables for that equation. Bis, tris, pecs, delts, traps, lats...etc.
    You got that right.

Kickbacks or concentration curls.

only if they're with pink dumb-bells otter

Originally posted by Accipiter
    only if they're with pink dumb-bells otter
    Well of course, that's a given.

Awesome post Shamik, totally agreed.

MS

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    If I had to pick one i'd say benchpress
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Originally posted by Shamik

Conversely, one could point out that powerlifting only includes one upper body only exercise, the bench press. Thus, it must be concluded that somebody considered the movement to be a pretty good guage of upper body power. Just food for thought.

i guess the movement that involves only upper body and pushes/pulls the most weight which i guess is chins or bench or dips

Although I'm sticking to my original post on this matter, on which several of you have commended me, I have to ask...is no one considering the back muscles as upper body. So far, I've seen mostly bench press as an answer. Someone said chins. No bent over rows. No lat pulldowns. I guess that's because the chest is what people see in the mirror. Hmmm...interesting.

In any case. This is still a bogus post. Again, that's of course in my opinion.