The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Understanding Suits and Shirts

Evening gents,

Just a quick question, i appreciate that Shirts and Suits are by no means cheating, however I am just wondering is there a direct correlation between your Suit or Shirt lifts and your 'Raw' lifts?

I have never met anyone that uses this method to train as of yet and I am struggling to understand how they work, physically or how to apply them to training, obviously it is a long way off for me if i ever get to that point but i am just curious, if anyone can satisfy my curiosity i would be very grateful.

Keiran
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I posted these quickly without realizing they may or may not answer your question... Wearing equipment for training might take some stress off of joints that you want to rest, or help you work with a lock out weakness, etc. I don't think there's a lot of value in a raw lifter spending much time w. equipment, but if you need it (or want it) it's there.
    Video

Video
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I've seen increases in my raw meet performance from training almost exclusively in equipment for the last 7-8 years. In what most would feel was my athletic prime in 1986 I competed with best meet results of 550 squat - 350 bench - 550 DL - Total 1450. I was 30 years old then. Last year at the APF Ga. I competed in the Raw Classic (with knee wraps as in 86), and went: 650 squat - 402 bench - 551 (missed a 600 3rd) - total 1603. This at 53 years old then. The difference, in my mind; is the body adapting to the overload of the training weight used in the gear. In the gym I've squated as much as 955 lbs. - bench 705 off the chest and up to 831 off of boards - deadlifted as much as 650 suited. Your raw strength can't help increase moving that kind of weight, suited or not. Note: I only came out of equipment 2 weeks out of that 2009 meet to know where I should open. Hope this helps.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

I personally think there is a direct correlation between RAW and geared strength. As a geared lifter, I honestly have no desire to compete RAW anymore. That said, alot of my training is RAW until right before a meet, when I really start using equipment. When I'm strong in the gym RAW, I'm strong on the platform in the single ply gear i compete in. The difference is the technical expertise involved with using equipment (even single py stuff). You don't just put on a bench shirt or a squat suit and jump your weights up 50 or 100 lbs. You need to take the time to learn the equipment and work with it to get good at it.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.