Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Biggest Waste of Money You Ever Made, and The Best Investment You Ever Made

nice one Dan
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

Worst: Is a tie between the jeep AMC eagle I drove when I was 17 (rust bucket) thought I was doing the right thing in putting $600.00 worth of tires on it, I was so proud to tell my pops I paid for the tires and everything.....He called me a dumbass and he was right. the motor blew a week later! It was all the money I had!

Or putting 40% down on my new home (7 years ago) so that I wouldn't have to pay PMI???? The 40% seems silly now that home values in my area are taking a 20 to 35% hit!

Best: Purchased 5 grand worth of stock, on a tip from a friend (he started to work for the company and really did wonders for them), the stock was $.10 per share (50 thousand shares with my 5 grand) when he got the job, sold it two years later for $1.75....You do the math, solid score! My boy has some skills!!!! Too bad I put most of it down on my house that is taking a beating!! LOL

Worst: Bought a 2001 Audi a couple years ago that turned out to be a complete lemon. Spent about $5,000 in repairs in all of 7 months.

Best: My house is a good one. I bought at a good time (early 2004) and it gained a ton of value until late 2008, but my area is not so bad and it hasn't decreased in value at all. I should still make a tidy sum when I sell it in the next year.
    Also, my wife's education. She's nearly done with her Audiology PhD and should be making the big $$$ soon. Hopefully it will be worth the sacrifice of the past 4-5 years. Luckily I didn't have to pay for my own education (GI Bill and grants), but I'm making good on the time I spent sacrificng for it with a steady job and decent income.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Worst: Beer
    Best: Wedding ring for my beautiful wife.
    Best#2: My dogs (kids)
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 226

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    hmm.

BIggest Waste of Money = Buying a BMW M3 Convertible - Bought it for 25K ($40K) and then 18 months later sold it for 18K ($28K) and at one point I spent $1K fixing the light and $2K on new tires lol plus a bunch of other servicing and $2K a year insurance.. But, it was a fun 18 months!

Best Investment = Leaving my VERY high paid job working for someone else and taking a 75% pay cut to work full time on my own business
    I remember how excited you were when you bought that car..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Worst: Online personal training from Phil Hernon.

Best: Getting engaged.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Gamer/Lifter
    I had an investor once tell me his logic on the housing/stock markets

"You only loose money when you sell low"

He has several houses that have dropped 30-40% of the value, but he's not concerned cause he intends on owning those homes for at least another 15-20 yrs and by then their values will be back up. As per his mortgages? he says the majority of his mortgages on his homes are covered by renters. They way he looks at is someone is giving him a house for free!
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

^ Easier said then done. Irresponsible tenets can be a landlord's worst nightmare and can actually make you lose money.

Gamer/Lifter
    He had been doing this for a long time...
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    ^ Easier said then done. Irresponsible tenets can be a landlord's worst nightmare and can actually make you lose money.
    They can be, but then again every state has landlord-tenant laws which help to minimize crappy tenant's (and also crappy landlords)

Banned
    Biggest waste of money: probably either some of the credit card debt i racked up during my undergrad. Know when to cut those things up and be responsible! lesson learned i guess

Best investment: My PHD education. Since it's research based, my master's and PHD are paid for. Not bad considering I should make about 110k a year when finished