The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Supplement Help

Supplement Help

Hey guys I am in need of some Supplement help, I am Looking to gain about 20+ pounds of muscel for football Full Back+ Line Backer. I want some sort of Creatine for obvious reasons. I wanna Keep my body Fat around the same as it is now Hopefully shed some Fat burner should help with that right? Last but not Least I am running SS Thanks for the help guys
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Take a look at this 1st: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...ertrophy-plan/

Then take a look at this: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/f...ig-and-strong/

These should get you started and answer most of your questions. There are many training programs on here that you can get started with. Judging by your age, your still going through many changes and your metabolism is very high, so you'll have to take that into consideration regarding nutrition. Most importantly, your going down a road that can be very rewarding, considering you DO IT RIGHT! What I mean by that is in your lack of experience with weightlifting, moving heavy weights can be very taxing on your body and dangerous if form is not PERFECT. Its better to put up a true 170 with proper form on the bench press, then put up 180 with improper form. Have an experienced spotter ALWAYS when lifting anywhere near your maxes. Finally you'll need to be patient because gaining 20lbs, especially someone with your body type, will not happen overnight, nor will it happen in 3months. Hope this helps.

You want to gain 20 lbs?
    You want to shed some fat?
    I thought you'd been around here long enough?
    Pick a goal; Gain or Lose
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I plan on stopping by the Diet and Nutrition forum to see if you have a thread there talking about "Need to gain weight, need help with diet" first, then I'll respond in there first.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 03-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

I saw nothing in the diet and nutrition thread, so here's a more thorough response.

I'm assuming that football season isn't starting until around the summer time, so that gives you 4-5 months. Being young it's possible to gain quickly, but I can say that from my experience when I started lifting at 14 I averaged about a 10-15 pound increase each year through 8th grade to graduation.

8th-9th = 15 pounds BW 140
    9th-10th = 15 pounds BW 155
    10th-11th = 15 pounds BW 170
    11th-12th = 10 pounds BW 180

It took 4 years for me to gain about 40 pounds, so I can guarantee that 20 pounds in 5 months, and with minimal fat gain is highly unrealistic. I'd think something reasonable in terms of weight gain, could be 8-10 pounds. That is possible with everything in check, diet, lifting, and recovery.

For football you want speed, strength, power, and quickness (yes some of those terms are very similar). I'd make sure you are doing plyometrics and a lot of short distance sprints and directional changing speed drills, that form of cardio will help minimize fat gains as well.

The supplements aren't going to be the biggest factor in you gaining weight and getting stronger.

I'd start off just by eatting, and eatting more than you previously have been eatting.

If you were to buy any supplements I'd make it be some sort of protein powder and preferrably one with added carbs, but you can always add your own carbs by having a bowl of cereal, rice, breads, bagels, etc. If you are to go with a supplement find a protein supplement that is affordable, you can always add carbs and even fats to it to increase the calories.

It's more important to focus on what you EAT, rather than what supplements you take.

Get yourself into a calorie surplus, meaning eat a lot of calories!

The following attachments are charts of what I ate on a weekly basis when I was either a sophmore or junior in high school. I tracked what I ate just by using a checklist, and then I tallied how many calories I missed for the entire week.

I'd estimate calorie totals to be:
    Meal 1- 700
    Meal 2- 600
    Meal 3- 700
    Meal 4- 400
    Meal 5- 400
    Meal 6- 400
    2 Protein Shakes a day - 500

Total Calories were sitting around 3,700+ a day. I missed meals here and there, so I averaged around 3,500.

Just browse the pages I scanned and get an idea of things you can eat. I eventually switched out tuna and oatmeal for ground beef with some taco seasoning and scooped it up with Doritos! Talk about a calorie jump.

I've also done tuna and raman noodles, gives you higher calories than tuna and rice or oatmeal.

Eat 1st, train 2nd, rest 3rd, and supplement 4th.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 03-05-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Eat 1st, train 2nd, rest 3rd, and supplement 4th.
    Brilliant.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Im doing a similar thing here except trying to slim down on fat. Mostly because its counter-active and is the opposite you want to do for football. Right now, im a junior and ended my previous season at 185lbs. Being new and not-understanding to certain concepts, i tried to do what you stated. Gain muscle,gain weight,and loss fat so i can be a stud muffin. So from Novemeber to Decemeber, i attempted it. And guess what i ended up at? 180 lbs. Sure i lost some body fat, but i lost strength and had to focus on my true goal. So, with the help of guys like above,hard work, FOOD, rest,etc, im currently at 210lbs(after only a little over 2 months, a 30 lb gain for me) and have been killing it in the gym and plan to decimate kids for my last year of ball.I suggest you do the same and listen to the dudes above.