The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: flat feet?

Wannabebig Member

flat feet?

I've had preety bad flat feet for aslong as I can remember. While playing football in H.S. I always seemed to role my ankles like every week and my senior year I tore my acl. That was about four years ago but now I believe that my flat feet is causing me problems while lifting and conditioning.

After I squat or deadlift my knees hurts and after I try and do some condtioning my ankels, arches, and knees hurt for a couple days.
    My question is is there anything I can do to help with these flat feet because they seem to be the source of the problem. Maybe foam roll idk any help with be appreciated and sorry bout the long post.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeb2520 View Post
    I've had preety bad flat feet for aslong as I can remember. While playing football in H.S. I always seemed to role my ankles like every week and my senior year I tore my acl. That was about four years ago but now I believe that my flat feet is causing me problems while lifting and conditioning.

After I squat or deadlift my knees hurts and after I try and do some condtioning my ankels, arches, and knees hurt for a couple days.
    My question is is there anything I can do to help with these flat feet because they seem to be the source of the problem. Maybe foam roll idk any help with be appreciated and sorry bout the long post.
    Have your tried orthodics?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

My brother actually has the opposite problem- extremely high arches. He HAS to wear orthodotics or he can't hardly move the next day. He is just 21, but the lesson I learned from him is that feet can really make or break you. I would definitely give orthotics a try.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Im on the same boat as u man. I wear shoes made by Brooks. They correct my problem as far as running is concerned. but with squating, i think havin orthotics in while u squating is gonna mess up ur balance expecially if u doin a "Full" squat. If its one leg that is givin u problems, u may be puttin to much pressure on it cause its a weaker leg in regards to squats. Yeah I had tight knee caps when i deadlifted, could be ur hip flexibility in regards to both exercises. You may wanna pull a trainer to the side and ask about your form cause they can spot poor flexibility a mile away. ORRR what you could do is top doin those 2 exercises all toghether and find some other machines that are more comfortable for ya. cause thing about the squats and deadlifts if u dont do them right....they will keep u out the gym. if you have medical issues like flat feet.....they will keep you out the gym. me personally i substitued squats for single leg press. My leg press on 2 legs doubled off of doin it from 1 leg each. good luck......

Wannabebig Member
    I have those orthodics that you can purchase at cvs the ones where u step on the machine and it reads your arche level. Those don't seem to be doing me any good. As far as my form is concerned its considered preety good and I wouldn't really wanna give up deads or squats if I can't.

Maybe going to an actual orthopedic doctor would be the best bet but I don't have that kind of money right now.

I started wearing the orthotics you get from that machine as well, 50 bucks is still a rip off but better than 300-400, they might not be as good, but my heel pain has diminished somewhat.

Wannabebig Member

I also have flat feet and originally tried New Balance shoes that were designed to help with this condition. They hurt my feet, terribly. I wore them for over a week to see if they just needed breaking in, and it was just awful. The store gave me a full refund, so perhaps you could try something to this effect and see if you have more luck than I did.

Alright, here's coming from a guy that's in the profession -- part of what I do is make and fit foot orthotics.

First, if your feet are as flat as you say they are those dr scholls that they are using now (you mentioned the scanner) are not going to work well.
    As soon as you weight bear onto them they usually will collapse.

If you do decided to purchase custom made ones, don't squat in them, most are made out of plastic or carbon fiber these days and do have weight limit restrictions, THEY WILL CRACK.

Your best bet in terms of "something better than nothing" would be what someone mentioned above, purchasing motion control shoes (new balance, brooks) as these are anti-pronation shoes. they will by no means 'correct' your foot, but they will limit some of your pronation, you can throw in some of those otc orthotics too. goodluck
    Last edited by fpr; 09-24-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    @fpr

So would you say the best thing would be to go and get some custom made orthotics because I would hate to have to give up squats, deadlifts, and not able to condition. Also when squating and deadlifting should I just squat in regular shoes without the inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Have your tried orthodics?
    i agree these are a good job,

also you could try changing your foot wear to a running style shoe with adequate cushioning

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Alright, here's coming from a guy that's in the profession -- part of what I do is make and fit foot orthotics.

First, if your feet are as flat as you say they are those dr scholls that they are using now (you mentioned the scanner) are not going to work well.
    As soon as you weight bear onto them they usually will collapse.

If you do decided to purchase custom made ones, don't squat in them, most are made out of plastic or carbon fiber these days and do have weight limit restrictions, THEY WILL CRACK.

Your best bet in terms of "something better than nothing" would be what someone mentioned above, purchasing motion control shoes (new balance, brooks) as these are anti-pronation shoes. they will by no means 'correct' your foot, but they will limit some of your pronation, you can throw in some of those otc orthotics too. goodluck
    well said.