The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

upper back rounding at bottom of back squat

today i did some DE squats and video taped it. after i was all set i took a look and noticed that i was rounding my upper back at the bottom of the lift.

my head is back, by eyes are straight up, my chest is up until i get right towards the bottom and i do a little dip thing with my upper back and then as soon as i start coming back up its not rounded anymore.

is this a flexibility issue or a strength issue? i was only using about 40% of 1RM but it was still very clear that my upper back is rounding.

if i get around to it tomorrow i will set up a youtube account and load up the video so i can show you exactly what i mean.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    today i did some DE squats and video taped it. after i was all set i took a look and noticed that i was rounding my upper back at the bottom of the lift.

my head is back, by eyes are straight up, my chest is up until i get right towards the bottom and i do a little dip thing with my upper back and then as soon as i start coming back up its not rounded anymore.

is this a flexibility issue or a strength issue? i was only using about 40% of 1RM but it was still very clear that my upper back is rounding.

if i get around to it tomorrow i will set up a youtube account and load up the video so i can show you exactly what i mean.
    We're trying to fix this with our Jr. 308er now. With him it's a matter of getting consistant with sitting back to get depth instead of trying to bend forward at the bottom. When he nails it it's beautiful. But he's about 50-50% on it now. So, with him it's technique and not as much lower back / ham /glute strength. I fixed this with my own squats a while back by using light touch box squats more to keep the concept of sitting back to the box in my mind. Even when I squat in a meet I imagin the box is there. Hope this helps.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

I had the same problem and fixed it pretty easy. When you set up under the bar pinch your shoulder blades like when you bench. Then right before you unrack the weight force your elbows forward hard. If you try this you'll see that your upper back has no choice but, to arch because it will try to accomidate the stretch you're creating forcing your elbows forward. Then just continue forcing them forward through-out the entire lift.

Worked for me my first work-out after I recieved the same advice. Good luck.

thanks guys i will have to try these. i feel like its more just need more practice too. always gotta work on something

Quote Originally Posted by SoCoBarbell View Post
    I had the same problem and fixed it pretty easy. When you set up under the bar pinch your shoulder blades like when you bench. Then right before you unrack the weight force your elbows forward hard. If you try this you'll see that your upper back has no choice but, to arch because it will try to accomidate the stretch you're creating forcing your elbows forward. Then just continue forcing them forward through-out the entire lift.

Worked for me my first work-out after I recieved the same advice. Good luck.
    This is exactly what I did.

Of course it wouldn't hurt at all to hit your upper back hard with lots of rows and what not.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Just like I said...... Look at your elbows. They're pointed backwards. You need to be getting them under the bar.

On your deadlift........ If you pull sumo you need to get your hands in closer. You should grab the bar between your knees not outside.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCoBarbell View Post
    Just like I said...... Look at your elbows. They're pointed backwards. You need to be getting them under the bar.

On your deadlift........ If you pull sumo you need to get your hands in closer. You should grab the bar between your knees not outside.
    thanks for the advice. i think i need to work on shoulder and chest flexibility to get my elbows and further under the bar. and as far as deadlift i guess i didnt really think of it as pulling sumo with my stance. next time i will pull my feet more closer to shoulder width.

i am doing a ME day here in 2 days so i will post up some more videos to see if i have improved.

for stretches im gonna do some dislocations for my shoulder and chest to see if that loosens it up enough.

You don't need to be flexible Bro. Your elbows don't really have to be directly under the bar. Stand in front of a mirror and put your hands up like you're squating. Then push your elbows forward and you'll see your upper back will have no choice but to arch because your shoulders aren't flexible something has to move so your upper back will have to and that's what you're after. That's all you're trying to do is keep your upper back arched.

ok, thanks again soco. i will do video again tomorrow for my ME day and see if it looks any better.