The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

camelCase's HCT12 hopefully won't suck

I'm going to be starting HCT-12 next week.

Me:
    M, 26yo
    65kg
    5'7"
    Around 14% BF according to Accumeasure calipers and tape measure calculations

My goals are to gain as much strength as possible, hopefully while increasing lean mass and seeing some recomposition. Ideally, I'd like to lose a bunch of fat but for mental reasons (see my post in the introduction section if interested) I want to try and avoid the "dieting" thought process just now. I'd like to somehow get back down to 10% but I'm going to avoid actively cutting for a few months.

I'll be following the 3-day routine on W/F/Sun and doing light cardio (25-min jog or Insanity Abs DVD) 2 or 3 times a week (never after a leg day). Exercises for this cycle and estimated 6RMs are:

Pullups - no idea. I suck at these but I can get ~10-12 at BW on a good day
    BB Rows - 66kg
    Flat Bench - 66kg
    Standing BB Press - 34 or 36kg, maybe a little more
    Dips - no idea. I can usually get 1x15, 2x12 or something similar at BW

Squats - 70-74 kg - this has really deteriorated because I could do 2x100kg not too long ago
    Deads - 94 kg or so
    Standing BB Calf Raise (no access to a machine) - I can lift 2 average-sized cows
    BB Curls - 30kg
    Woodchops - No idea. These are awkward.

My lifts are weird because I have lost a lot of strength and motivation over the last few weeks and months.

Using 65kg (current weight) and 8%BF (because that would be awesome) as target body composition for nutrition I'll be eating, on average, ~2000 cals, 198g protein, 66g fat, 152g carbs (comes out to about 40/30/30 p/f/c).

I usually get a couple of big meals and a snack, as I tend to (loosely) follow the leangains IF protocol. Lower cals/carbs and higher fats on rest days, more cals/carbs and lower fats on training days. I'll average out to the targets above.

I got an awesome new bodybugg last week. It seems reasonable accurate for most activities (seems to overestimate weight lifting calorie expenditure however) so I will use that to keep an eye on calorie expenditure.

Supplements: whey as needed, casein for snacks, lots of fish oil, multivitamin, calcium, and vitamin d. Going to start taking EC again on Monday and cycling up over the week as I've had a long break.
    Last edited by camelCaseSucks; 10-02-2010 at 07:48 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Week 1 begins....with a rest day because of my weird W/F/Su setup. Starting stats: 65kg on the dot, >14% BF. Pics up in a couple of days when I get around to it.

No cardio today, but I spent some time with the foam roller.

Diet good today. I'll log my meals just for this week, then repeat the same meals more or less every week as much as possible. Work may interfere (clients, etc.). I'm also going to have a couple of free meals every week where I eat a normal meal out of the house and don't measure every last gram. I'll stick to the spirit of my diet though so I'll have higher carb/lower fat if there is a free meal on training days and higher fat/low carb free meal on rest days. Meals will be normal size (no crazy binges, hopefully), though I'll probably have a dessert on a carb day, and will replace one of meals on that day. I'm training myself to eat normally again.

Lunch: chicken breast, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, fish oil
    Dinner: coconut chicken curry, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, sweet pepper, fish oil
    Night snack: 45g ON casein, fish oil

Macros for the day: 1612 cal (target was ~1700), 199g PRO, 53g CHO, 63g FAT

2180 cals burned according to the bodybugg. This thing seems to overestimate slightly - I ate an average of ~2000 Cals/day last week (1700 rest days, 2400 training days) and weight didn't change at all. And, if anything, I'm slightly fatter.

Feeling good, looking forward to killing the weights on Wed.

Anyone who bothers to follow along, don't worry - I won't log every day after this week, and entries won't be this long.
    Last edited by camelCaseSucks; 10-04-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Best of luck

For me eating more than I would normally helps

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for reading along Bradruss.

I think I'm starting to agree with you. I'm a really nervous eater, especially because of the way I think about food after so many years dieting, but the more I focus on strength and muscle, the more I think I should eat more. I definitely can put away food like nobody's business which may be a sign to go ahead and do it.

Anyway, at the moment I actually am eating a lot more on a regular basis than I have in several years and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I seem to be more or less maintaining so I'll go at this calorie level for a couple of weeks before pushing it up if necessary.

Anyway, another rest day today. 5.4 km jog, pretty slow. ~2500 kcals burned today according to bodybugg.

Lunch: roast chicken breast, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, fish oil
    Dinner: kung-pao chicken, iceberg lettuce, sweet peppers, fish oil
    Nighttime snack: big-ass whey and casein shake with a dollop (15ml) of heavy cream, fish oil

Macros: 1675 kcal, 197g PRO, 52g CHO, 73g FAT

I might put up a couple of low-carb things in the recipes section if anyone is interested.

Weights tomorrow, finally. Found out at the last minute, as usual, that I need to meet and have dinner tomorrow evening with my boss and a client. Turned my whole plan around, so I'll work out very early in the morning and have my post-workout meal at lunch with BCAA's before workout and between workout and lunch. People are going to look at me like I'm insane when I pull out 800g of mashed potatoes, but whatever.

I feel strong so hopefully I'll murder the weights and set off a good start to the HCT program.

Wannabebig Member
    This is really embarrassing, but I am weaker than I was just a couple of weeks ago, and MUCH weaker than I thought I was. Essentially, I am somehow back at beginner level. Talk about regression, eh?

On the bright side, the workout felt really good and I felt great for most of the day afterward. I am pretty happy with my exercise selection - it is fairly difficult and very basic, nothing fancy. Also, this terrible performance leaves a lot of potential for rapid gains, at least up to my old level of strength (because I was at my peak just a few weeks ago, rather than several months or years). I guess new PRs will have to wait a while.

Only posting the initial warmup set and work sets here.

Pullup - I am really bad at these after having focused exclusively on chins for so long
    BW x 6
    +6kg x 6
    +8kg x 6 +2+2+2

Barbell Row - I cheated on form big time after 50kg so next session I'll probably ramp up to 50 much slower and see how far past it I get with perfect form
    10kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    56kg x 6 - doesn't count
    60kg x 6 - doesn't count
    60kg x 6 +2+2+2 really doesn't count

Bench Press - my bench and row usually move up and down together, so I was real careful with form here after rethinking the row. There has been a HUGE loss of strength in these two exercises.
    10kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    54kg x 6 +2+2+2

Standing BB Press - autoregulation needs a lot of work here. I'm weak.
    10kg x 6
    20kg x 6
    26kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    32kg x 6, too heavy, so clusters were 30kg x 2+2+2

Dip - I was actually okay here, I should have focused and added another set or two with AT LEAST 3-4kg more
    BW x 6
    +8kg x 6
    +10kg x 6
    +12kg x 6 +2+2+2 easy, should have added a lot more

Client didn't show up, and of course nobody told me that he wasn't coming, so not only did I have to eat my post-wo meal at lunch and stay hungry with a small dinner, but it turns out that more customers are coming for lunch tomorrow. Free meal I guess. I made up for it today by eating the entire day's veg with dinner. Got my snack though.

Lunch: grilled chicken, lots of low-fat mashed potatoes, fish oil
    Dinner: roast chicken, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, sweet peppers, fish oil
    Treat: oatmeal cooked in skim milk, real maple syrup, strawberries
    Still hungry, so also had some fat-free cheese

2385 Cal, 208g PRO, 284g CHO, 46g FAT

~2500 cals burned according to bodybugg. This thing really does overestimate training days.

Wannabebig Member
    Didn't do jack for exercise today, not even cardio. Diet also pretty bad. Kept it low carb but fats were way too high and I wasn't able to measure anything. Had some cottage cheese as a snack and a bigass protein shake after dinner because I was still hungry and could feel a binge sort of thing starting to happen.

I was more tired than usual today for some reason. Woke up early with the intention to go for a jog, then decided to put it off until after work, then decided after work that I wasn't up to it. I might do something tomorrow morning if I have the energy. Leg workout tomorrow afternoon - I'm looking forward to it.

Lunch: 1 roast chicken breast, 1chicken skewer thing with like 5 pieces of chicken breast on it, 1 slice of roast beef, iceberg lettuce
    Snack: 170g cottage cheese
    Dinner: Lots of chicken, had a lot of oil in it. Stir-fry sort of thing. Lots of iceberg lettuce, some sweet pepper.

Bodybugg says ~2000 Calories, ate much more than that.
    Last edited by camelCaseSucks; 10-07-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    First leg day of the program today. Felt good. No surprises here - I have lost strength but am closer to my 6RM estimates from the first post.

Squat - Felt good, but I started to wobble a bit at the end. I feel like I should be able to add a lot of weight in the next few weeks.
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    66kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    72kg x 6 +2+2+2 didn't get as deep into the hole as I would have liked

Deadlift - These felt great. My favorite exercise by far. I am going to push this harder next time.
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    70kg x 6 big jump because it was way too easy
    80kg x 6
    90kg x 6
    96kg x 6 +2+2+2 I should have gone for 100kg

Calf Raise - Boring
    50kg x 10
    80kg x 10
    100kg x 10
    110kg x 10 got bored and impatient and stopped

Barbell Curl - Crap performance. I could have beaten the 30kg mark if I had added a set b/w 26 and 30
    10kg x 6
    20kg x 6
    26kg x 6
    30kg x 6 +2+2+2

Wood Chop - I am going to replace these with ab wheel rollouts because it is just too awkward on the only machine I have access too. Bad form and maybe half of what I can get on a real cable machine.

50lbs x 6
    60lbs x 6

Stopped, then did 25 rollouts - Felt good

From next session I'll do rollouts to failure, then take a short rest, then repeat until I can't do anymore.

Diet was good.

Pre-wo: 10g BCAA
    Post-wo: whey and dextrose
    Early bigass dinner: lots of oven-baked chips w/ garlic, random chicken breast stir-fry, iceberg lettuce, sweet peppers
    Snack: steel-cut oats cooked in skim milk, strawberries, maple syrup, glass of wine (4.75 oz - I measured)

Macros: 2395 Cal, 198g PRO, 289g CHO, 36g FAT, some g ALCOHOL

Bodybugg says ~2400 Calories.

Wannabebig Member
    Sat: No exercise. Baaaad motivation. Ran out of fish oil AND multivitamin.

Lunch: roast chicken breast, iceberg lettuce
    Snack: fat-free cheese
    Macros: 420 Cal, 78g PRO, 6g CHO, 7g fat

Had to go out for (a big) dinner, so not measured.
    3 large scotch, a few peanuts (~20)
    pumpkin soup, grilled shrimp, feta cheese
    ribeye, roasted veg

If I had to guess, I would say ~2000 Cal.

Bodybugg says ~2400 Cals burned. Lots of walking around at work yesterday, but that is definitely an overestimate.

Camel, firstly welcome to HCT-12.

A few points i have noted on your log.

My goals are to gain as much strength as possible
    Great, this program will allow you to do this.

2385 Cal, 208g PRO, 284g CHO, 46g FAT~2500 cals burned according to bodybugg.
    You will struggle like hell to increase your strength working on a calorie deficit, you claim to have got weaker than a few weeks ago and this has been your average diet? This will be why.

10kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    56kg x 6 - doesn't count
    60kg x 6 - doesn't count
    60kg x 6 +2+2+2 really doesn't count
    A few points here, Why when you got to 56 did you not stop, drop the weight, get the reps and finish the clusters with form? There is a current conversation going on elsewhere in the forum at the moment on hard gainers rules 6-10 thanks to Off Road. Dropping a little bit of form on the top end sets can often give you that little edge to break a plateau, however i do not think that 3 sets counts as a slight drop in form. If you go over the literature for HCT Daniel does say that if you fail your working too hard and drop it and get the reps out at a lower weight. I know you have said that you will next time but you have way to many sets here mate, especially considering the calorie deficit you are running. If you want to get the 'mental satisfaction' of improving on last session without dropping form try bashing out 2 sets at the top end rather than just the one. I found this was a good middle ground, you don't have to drop form but you can do more than you did previously!

Same goes for your squats mate, Squats are a big big movement, probably the biggest of the lot, if you waste a lot of your energy on them at the start it will detract from the rest of your workout, Auto-Regulation is not a byword for masses of reps and sets mate. Sometimes I find that 3/4 sets for the big 3 is more than enough to be sufficiently warmed up and ready for a work set.

I do not understand your personal goals that well but if you want strength you are going to have to eat more, considering the amount of reps you are doing i do not think adding another 200-300 calories is going to turn someone that is only 10stone to start with into a blob

Good start mate, just though I would post a few comments, I will admit I am by no way experienced but I have had some good results from HCT in the last 6 months just wanted to share some experience as I have made mistakes as have others on this program, I suggest reading a few journals and the literature again and then re approach your training and diet.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for reading along Kiff. Appreciate the advice. I've actually been lurking around your journal for a while now too, even before joining the forum.

You're totally right regarding form and sets. I was just way too obsessed with trying to hit my 6rm estimates. As you pointed out, I should have stopped a lot sooner, or ramped up slower. I'll work on decreasing the number of sets overall as I progress and try to get a feel for real autoregulation.

I find squats to be the most difficult lower workout too, which was my reason for putting them first. I'll definitely lower the number of sets there now that I have a good idea of the kind of weight I can push around at the moment, and I'll experiment with doing them later in the workout next session. My thoughts were that doing deads first would probably detract a lot from squat weight, but doing squats first would not impact deads to the same degree because deads are much easier for me to do.

The consensus seems to be to eat more in order to gain strength here, and I agree. I also should have been clearer about goals in the short- and long-term. I definitely want to pick up strength, at least to the point that it was a little while ago, and continue to increase. This is a continuous goal. I also would like to see some recomp. I understand that this is probably not possible to any significant degree as long as strength increases are a simultaneous goal. Long(er)-term, I would like to get back to single-digit BF at ~65kg-70kg because that is a weight that I am comfortable and familiar with. I'll probably shoot for 10% as a first step when I actively do a cut, which I am planning on starting in March.

The way I determined calorie/macro targets was a target body composition of 65kg@8%. Yes, this is unrealistic ATM. Anyway, ~14 cal/lb x 65kg x 2.2046 = ~2000 cals. I have been averaging about this amount and weight has not really changed at all for some time, which leads me to believe that this is my maintenance calorie level and that the bodybugg is overestimating by a few %. I'll give it another week at this calorie level, which will l bring me to two weeks into the program, and then increase to ~15 cal/lb. I'll slowly adjust cals further as necessary, but I do want to take it slow. I want to eat more, and I can definitely do so, I'm just a bit nervous about it.

I'm hopeful that I'll see near-term "neuro"-type strength gains anyway because I was a lot stronger at lower bodyweight and cals not too long ago - it just wasn't sustainable.
    Last edited by camelCaseSucks; 10-10-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    2 posts.

Didn't measure food today because I went out for lunch and couldn't be bothered to do it for dinner. Kept it high carb/low(ish)-fat. As usual for when I don't measure, I ate too much.

Pre-WO: 10g BCAA
    Lunch: Grilled chicken sandwich, 5 of those small round roasted potatoes
    Weekly treat this week was a brownie with a scoop of ice cream.
    Dinner: Lean sirloin stir-fry (~300g cooked in 1 tbsp oil), white rice, iceberg lettuce, sweet pepper
    I was still hungry, so had a scoop of casein, glass of skim milk, and some strawberries.

Gotta be stricter with diet next week. This week was a disaster - three days not measured.

Training felt good, I was really focused. Form was the priority, but I still saw some slight improvements in all movements except the damn pullups. Great stuff. I was also extra careful with the rows and made sure I hit each rep with good form. I did something right because I went to total failure on the last cluster reps.

I'm pretty confident with 6RMs now so I'll cut back on the number of sets and make slow increases if I feel comfortable near the previous session's max. Dialled it in, so to speak. Numbers are still disappointing.

Pullup - total BS. Needs improvement.
    BW x 6
    +6kg x 6
    +8kg x 6 +2+2+2

BB Row
    10kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 6 - time to start slowing down, so
    46kg x 6 - could still do more, so
    50kg x 6 - all reps with good form and no hint of failure
    54kg x 6 - all reps with good form and had a couple of reps in the tank
    58kg x 6 - tough, so +2+2+2

Bench
    10kg x 6
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 6 easy
    50kg x 6 not that easy
    54kg x 6 had a couple in the tank
    56kg x 6 needed to stop, so +2+2+1

OH Press - This has always been my weakest movement
    10kg x 6
    20kg x 6 yeesh
    26kg x 6 bit more
    30kg x 6 bit more
    32kg x 6 +2+2+2 I damn near hit my head on the last one. All reps good form except that last one. Keeping midsection tight really helps, as usual.

Dip - I can still add more weight, maybe go up to 16 or 18kg next session
    BW x 6
    +8kg x 6
    +10kg x 6
    +12kg x 6
    +15kg x 6 +2+2+2 - I shouldn't have been in a hurry. I was enjoying myself and could have (should have) gone higher.

Quote Originally Posted by camelCaseSucks View Post
    Thanks for reading along Kiff. Appreciate the advice. I've actually been lurking around your journal for a while now too, even before joining the forum.

Thanks mate as I said before it is a work in progress i am only commenting on things that i can directly relate to, I am no where near as qualified as other blokes around here.

You're totally right regarding form and sets. I was just way too obsessed with trying to hit my 6rm estimates. As you pointed out, I should have stopped a lot sooner, or ramped up slower. I'll work on decreasing the number of sets overall as I progress and try to get a feel for real autoregulation.

Just take it slow mate that is the key, as you have shown by the above comment you are now understanding that it is about how you FEEL on that day that is important, 100% effort at 5KG is the same as 100% effort on 100KG it doesn't matter what you want to manage

I find squats to be the most difficult lower workout too, which was my reason for putting them first. .

As for Squattin before deads that is not the problem mate, i do this too, it is just that you have way too many sets of squats in there

The way I determined calorie/macro targets was a target body composition of 65kg@8%. Yes, this is unrealistic ATM. Anyway, ~14 cal/lb x 65kg x 2.2046 = ~2000 cals. I have been averaging about this amount and weight has not really changed at all for some time, which leads me to believe that this is my maintenance calorie level and that the bodybugg is overestimating by a few %. I'll give it another week at this calorie level, which will l bring me to two weeks into the program, and then increase to ~15 cal/lb. I'll slowly adjust cals further as necessary, but I do want to take it slow. I want to eat more, and I can definitely do so, I'm just a bit nervous about it.
    Looking at your weight and height there is no need to be nervous, you are not going to explode even on 3000 calories a day, especially if you are doing cardio on your rest days. You will get down to the 8% if your maths is correct, I am just saying that adding strength as well would be very hard, you have the advantage as do of being a beginner tho so maybe If your form is right at your/our level and your sleeping right and working to a good intensity and your not getting stronger then food is the most likely problem

I look forward to your next workout.

Kerian

A Westside journal.

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

Wannabebig Member
    Like I said, 2 posts.

Anyway, wanted to wrap up the week and get my head straight.

Average BW for the week: 64.2 / Max 65kg / Min 64kg - Really, there has been no significant change. I think I'm at maintenance @ avg 2000 Cals/day. BF% measurements haven't changed, of course.

I didn't do much cardio - one short jog this week only. I need to get off my ass and move.

Bodybugg says average daily Cal burn over the last week was~2500. Assuming it is overestimating by ~15%, which it seems to be on most days, the real average would be ~2100. I overate a couple of days this week so somewhere in the 2000-2200 range sounds right. Anyway, I will go with the advice of people a lot stronger and smarter than me and increase cals to ~2300 or so but only after one more week at current level.

Pics from this morning:
    SIDE
    BACK
    FRONT

To see the extent of the damage that I've done to myself, see the following pics which were taken near the end of July as I closed out a 6-week UD2 cycle.

FRONT
    SIDE
    BACK
    FRONT LAST DAY OF DIET
    ANOTHER SIDE

UD2 really is the quickest way to get shredded if you are OCD enough for it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    As for Squattin before deads that is not the problem mate, i do this too, it is just that you have way too many sets of squats in there

Looking at your weight and height there is no need to be nervous, you are not going to explode even on 3000 calories a day, especially if you are doing cardio on your rest days. You will get down to the 8% if your maths is correct, I am just saying that adding strength as well would be very hard, you have the advantage as do of being a beginner tho so maybe If your form is right at your/our level and your sleeping right and working to a good intensity and your not getting stronger then food is the most likely problem

I look forward to your next workout.

Kerian
    Thanks for the encouragement. I really can use all that I can get. I'll keep at it - I agree that food is likely the problem, though sleep is a major issue with me as well. I'll keep the Cal increases slow and steady and see what happens. A 3000 cal/day average would be like heaven for me. I've always liked the "eat more, burn more" idea, even if I was too nervous to practice it, so bumping cals up and keeping energy expenditure high seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the encouragement. I really can use all that I can get. I'll keep at it - I agree that food is likely the problem, though sleep is a major issue with me as well. I'll keep the Cal increases slow and steady and see what happens. A 3000 cal/day average would be like heaven for me. I've always liked the "eat more, burn more" idea, even if I was too nervous to practice it, so bumping cals up and keeping energy expenditure high seems to be the way to go.
    Looking at your pictures mate, you should not be worried about adding calories, I can understand you are nervous about it BUT you are small mate your end bodyweight is what you are at now right? Just at a lower % bodyfat, in that case I guess working out at your maintenance will work, but you may just need to re-asses your strength goals. ENJOY yourself and your workouts, don't panic about the little %'s here and there or the odd discrepancy on your Bodybugg, your doing the right things, as a beginner like myself we have a lot of massive things to worry about, and are fortunate enough to have great potential for growth and adaptation due to just starting out, they guys at the top end of the sport can worry about 0.5% out on their fat intake, just find your rhythm first mate you'll see the gains quickly.You are doing the right things from what I can see but you have to just enjoy it a bit more

A Westside journal.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    You are doing the right things from what I can see but you have to just enjoy it a bit more
    Heh. Keep forgetting to do that. Numbers, ya know?

Two rest days, today and tomorrow. I hate them. 4-day split on next cycle, definitely.

Heh. Keep forgetting to do that. Numbers, ya know?

Two rest days, today and tomorrow. I hate them. 4-day split on next cycle, definitely.
    Your a minority, every rep is more than a lot of people manage feed on that if you have to not a gram or two over on fat!

A Westside journal.

Wannabebig Member
    Finally, after two interminable days of rest, leg day arrives.

Felt like a good session today because I was totally wiped by the time I was done with deads. Slight improvements, most likely due to reduced number of sets.

Squat - Start at 60kg next time for one less set
    10kg x 6 just to warm up and stretch out
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    74kg x 6 I thought this was going to be it but I found some extra strength
    76kg x 6 +2 +1 (dammit) +2

Deadlift
    50kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    90kg x 6
    100kg x 6 +2+2+1 (tore some skin off the hands, slipped)

Calf Raise - these are boring. Need suggestions for alternatives. I have no access to a calf machine, just free weights and leg ext / hamstring curl combo machine.
    100kg x 10
    110kg x 10
    120kg x 10

BB Curl - No improvement here. I am weak with direct arm (especially bicep) work in general.
    10kg x 6
    20kg x 6
    30kg x 6 +2+2+2

Ab Rollouts - When I hit x50 in the first set, I'll switch to standing rollouts. I used to be good at those.
    x30
    x20
    x10 - I should have done another set or two x10

Felt real good, all told. Arms doubled in size after the workout for a bit.

Finally, after two interminable days of rest, leg day arrives.

Felt like a good session today because I was totally wiped by the time I was done with deads. Slight improvements, most likely due to reduced number of sets.

Squat - Start at 60kg next time for one less set
    10kg x 6 just to warm up and stretch out
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    74kg x 6 I thought this was going to be it but I found some extra strength
    76kg x 6 +2 +1 (dammit) +2
    This is good! Keep it up, failing one rep isn't that bad mate good effort, you have already identified that if you started at 60 you may have got it!
    Deadlift
    50kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    90kg x 6
    100kg x 6 +2+2+1 (tore some skin off the hands, slipped)

Calf Raise - these are boring. Need suggestions for alternatives. I have no access to a calf machine, just free weights and leg ext / hamstring curl combo machine.
    100kg x 10
    110kg x 10
    120kg x 10
    Here is an option, don't do them? Or put a big weight on and just blast out as many as you can, with the best respect to Daniel's very good program, a lot of people did drop the calf workouts.

BB Curl - No improvement here. I am weak with direct arm (especially bicep) work in general.Again this is no problem, it will come I dropped them for pullups, seemed much more practical, i can now curl about 10KG more than a few months back, and I haven't curled in 6months
    10kg x 6
    20kg x 6
    30kg x 6 +2+2+2

Ab Rollouts - When I hit x50 in the first set, I'll switch to standing rollouts. I used to be good at those.
    x30
    x20
    x10 - I should have done another set or two x10

Felt real good, all told. Arms doubled in size after the workout for a bit.
    Good effort mate, keep it up

A Westside journal.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Kiff - came through with the advice as always.

I'm doing pullups on the 'A' days, so hopefully they'll prop the curls up as well. Like you, I haven't curled (by choice) in a long time - they were part of the UD2 program though, the most annoying part of the workouts.

Calf raises blow.

Wannabebig Member
    Went into the weight room feeling really good today, so I was a little more aggressive. These improvements are slight and are definitely more for psychological reasons than any strength gain. I'm starting to feel like myself again.

Pullup
    BW x 6
    +8kg x 6
    +10kg x 6 +2+2+1.5

BB Row
    10kg x 6 form check
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    56kg x 6 no real problems
    60kg x 6 +2+2+1 bad form on the last cluster so I let it go

Bench Press
    10kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    58kg x 6 +2+2+2 just barely made it, but kept form in check. Damn near dropped it. Pulled out my old training logs from a 30-day bench specialization from about a year ago and was totally disappointed when comparing to today's performance. I was a lot stronger in general though.

BB Overhead Press No improvement
    10kg x 6
    20kg x 6
    32kg x 6 +2+2+2 form broke on last rep of last cluster. Maybe should have been more aggressive with ramping up to the 2nd set and less to the 3rd.

Dip Could have gone heavier now that I think about it. A bit awkward because I'm holding the DB between my legs. No weight belt.
    BW x 6
    +10kg x 6
    +15kg x 6
    +18kg x 6 +2+2+2

Pretty lazy day other than training. Work was slow, no real activity. Lots of sitting around.

Wannabebig Member
    I ate way too much junk food today, which is usually a sign that I'm not eating enough on a regular basis. I usually have my weekly junk food & dessert meal on Sunday, but today was too close to a binge for comfort.

Training was pretty good but I was a bit tired.

Squat
    10kg x 6 stretch out the quads
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    76kg x 6 had a rep or two left, so
    78kg x 6 +2+2+2 fought the last rep the whole way

Deads
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 6
    100kg x 6 +2+2+2 no improvement here

Calf Raise
    110kg x 15
    120kg x 15
    120kg x 15

BB Curl
    10kg x 6
    24kg x 6
    32kg x 6 +2+2+2 barely, and these didn't feel good at all. Form was strict, no cheating.

Rollouts
    x35
    x20
    x10
    x10

Did a couple sets of dips and pushups afterward because I needed to wake up the upper body a bit.

Weekly wrap-up next post.

Wannabebig Member

End of Week 2

Had a pretty good week. Diet was spot on with the only screw-up being today's junk fest. Got a couple of days of light cardio in and had massive energy all week. All this food is doing me good.

2 leg days/week is fun, but scary. I guess that is a good sign.

Going to increase cals by ~300. No significant weight change - a very slight downward shift, on average, compared to last week.

No visible change, obviously, but gotta keep myself accountable, so pics for end of week 2:
    FRONT
    BACK
    SIDE

Nice critique of your own downfalls, but nice improvements as well, good to keep them both at the front of your mind.

A Westside journal.

Wannabebig Member
    Downfalls keep pushing their way to the forefront, but so far I'm managing to push back.

Forgot to log yesterday's session. Was fairly mediocre - didn't put much into it and didn't get much out. Honestly, I was too tired and should have put it off. Improved bench slightly. I also lifted more on the overhead press, but it didn't feel good so I will stick to the previous weight for now.

Pull-up
    bw x 6
    +8kg x 6
    +10kg x 6 +2+2+2

BB Row - Tried to do it more pendlay-style, which felt a little better.
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 6 +2+2+2

Bench
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 6 +2+2+1 lazy, should have done one more ramping set

Overhead Press
    10kg x 6
    28kg x 6 I don't know why I made such a big jump, seemed like a good idea at the time
    34kg x 6 +2+2+2

Dip - I love these
    bw x 6
    10kg x 6
    15kg x 6
    18kg x 6 +2+2+2