Thread: Hello. I have a question

Hello. I have a question

Whats good everyone I'm new to this forum and I need an answer to a question please.

I was just out my back today with a friend, and we were seeing how much we could bench. The most I've ever done was just one 70kg benchpress, but I had no one to spot me that day.

So today I had someone to spot me and I wanted to see how many I could so on at 70kg. I did it 5 times and that was it.

Then I just did 80kg once.

So I just want to know, is this good for a 15 year old? I don't lift weights, I've only had about 3 training sessions involving weights and they weren't with my max rep, it was just like 50kg x15, light stuff. The main reason I don't do weights regularly is because I'm a boxer, and bodybuilding isn't for me, but I'm gonna be getting into some stuff to build up my strenght soon.

So thats my question for you all: is an 80kg benchpress good for someone who's just turned 15 and how good is it on average?

Thanks,
    -KJ

Wannabebig Member
    Thats not bad for a person that is 15 years old but theres no real way to tell you if thats good or not. A person's strength cannot really be measured at any age because of genetics.

Anyways, if you think 80kg is a lot to you, then keep it that way. It doesn't really matter what other people think about it.

I think it's pretty solid really, how do you feel about it. And you said you don't do weights because you're a boxer, but you realize they'll only help in conditioning and strength? Are you training with a coach or alone. I can see not wanting to get bulky, my brothers golden gloves coach wouldn't let him do too many weights, but since something like 70% of your power comes from your legs, I'd think some weighted movements for the lower portion of your body would be beneficial to you in your training. I'm not a boxer, never have been probably never will be, I'd rather grapple, but it just seems logical to build up your legs with weights (not going overboard of course and keeping up with your already high cardio) and watch your striking power increase.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I think it's pretty solid really, how do you feel about it. And you said you don't do weights because you're a boxer, but you realize they'll only help in conditioning and strength? Are you training with a coach or alone. I can see not wanting to get bulky, my brothers golden gloves coach wouldn't let him do too many weights, but since something like 70% of your power comes from your legs, I'd think some weighted movements for the lower portion of your body would be beneficial to you in your training. I'm not a boxer, never have been probably never will be, I'd rather grapple, but it just seems logical to build up your legs with weights (not going overboard of course and keeping up with your already high cardio) and watch your striking power increase.
    i agree,

although it is all dependant on the weight class you are fighting in, or want to fight in.

I was unclear in the last post about lifting weights for boxing.

I meant that at the moment I have no weightlifting routine, I do want to weightlift to improve my boxing, I just don't want to do bodybuilder training to get big "show off" muscle, I want to do maybe some strenght training(That's 1-3 right?) and endurance lifting(I forget what the numbers are for that).

Also, my bodyweight is 65-66kg at the moment, but I've benched 60kg when I was about 58kg at 12 years old.

Thanks for all the advice too.

P.S I weighed in at 66.4kg last sunday, wich means I'm boxing under the 69kg devision in the Dublin Leagues soon

-KJ

Ireland? I'm from Dingle. Want to go back.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May