Thread: Squatting and deadlifting on different days

Hybrid View

Squatting and deadlifting on different days

Who here does squats and pulls on different days of the week? I started at the first of the year doing them in the same workout togeather and hit a PR on dead's at a meet back in April. And at another meet in august my lifts were down and I felt very overtrained coming into the meet.

Here lately I've been thinking of putting deadlifts back on a day by itself in order to give it more attention. Just wanting everyone's opinions.
    Last edited by muscle_g; 10-03-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

I pull and squat and different days, but I'll only pull for 2 weeks then take the 3rd week off to avoid feeling overtrained. I only started doing it b/c I was pressed for time, but I prefer deadlifting on back day now.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    I pull and squat and different days, but I'll only pull for 2 weeks then take the 3rd week off to avoid feeling overtrained. I only started doing it b/c I was pressed for time, but I prefer deadlifting on back day now.
    Yea I was thinking of putting dead's on my back day.

Mon- Squats, lower accessory
    Wed- Bench, Shoulders, Triceps
    Fri- Deadlifts, Back, Biceps/Grip
    Last edited by muscle_g; 10-03-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

We train our deadlift on Mondays or do a movement that will raise the deadlift. We will also pull on our squat day (friday) a lot of times. A lot is by feel. If you pull twice a lot in a week you will have to vary the insensity. I feel this is the case even if you are pulling once a week. As stated, maybe 1 of 3 sessions could be lighter or just take off pulling and do accessories.

Devoting a whole day to the deadlift was the best thing that I have ever done for my deadlift. I do some sort of heavy pull (not neccesarly from the ground) every week.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

I've tried splitting them into different days in the past, but I usually ended up overdoing it. I think it could work well if managed properly. I found trying to do both heavy every week was too much for me. I think as long as you come up with a schedule that allows for light or moderate training days often enough to recover, you will be fine.
    I do both on the same day now, but that's as much about schedule and time constraints as anything else.

My take on this is that if you pull after you squat meet day, why not do it in training as well.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    My take on this is that if you pull after you squat meet day, why not do it in training as well.
    i agree, in a meet u do both so that's what i do, sqt light-heavy deads, next wk, heavy sqt, light deads

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    My arguement is why not throw bench in there because you bench after you squat on meet day too. At some point it's just too much for one workout all the time. I've tried squatting and deads on the same day at times and always end up halting my progress. For me it works better to do deads on it's own day with all back work. I'll work heavy deads off the floor once per month. Then one week of speed pulls. Then a 3rd week of rack pulls or similar DL assist work. Then a week with on deads. Then start over the next month. This has worked pretty well for me lately and I can recover well.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Wannabebig Member
    I have done it both ways. Currently i train them separate. If you recover pretty quick and work in proper rest/de-load times i think you away with training them separate with our over training. My best cycles were when i trained them separate. if you do want to train them together then i agree with fasteddy and do a heavy squat light dl and switch it the following week.

I alternate squat and deadlift days once a week. So on my deadlift days i will squat light before hand, just a few sets to warm up and get some blood flow...and on the days I squat i will do light pulls afterwards. This has worked very well for me and has allowed me to push each lift harder coming into a meet because you're only doing each lift once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by elilliebridge View Post
    I alternate squat and deadlift days once a week. So on my deadlift days i will squat light before hand, just a few sets to warm up and get some blood flow...and on the days I squat i will do light pulls afterwards. This has worked very well for me and has allowed me to push each lift harder coming into a meet because you're only doing each lift once a week.
    Agreed... I've done this for the last year or so and its worked great for my recovery and I set a PR in my last meet.

BTW, Eric pulls alot more than I do so he must be onto something!!! Experiment and find out what works for you.
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by elilliebridge View Post
    I think Ano does this on and off.

I have found giving the deadlift its own day to be a good thing, In saying that though when I hit deads hard it can make me feel slow and sluggish come squat day so you have to be careful like others have said.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

We are on the same page Buddy. You can't really simulate a meet. Who has 12 hours to lift. ha! But really, I feel you get your deadlift as strong as you can, whichever way you can and with some conditioning work, it will carry over the same. I again feel the biggest key is pushing it but scheduled back off sessions are a must.

I do squat accessory work after deadlift on one day and then do back accessory work after squat on another day. Usually it's a deadift variation and then some other back work after squat and a squat variation and other leg work after the heavy deadlift. I've found this actually works better for my recovery while still somewhat simulating meet conditions where you have to squat and pull on the same day. Granted I train mostly raw and don't lift as much as some fo the elite guys on here but I've been training for powerlifting for about 6+ years and have been making better gains than I ever have since starting this way (aside from when i was a newb, of course). BTW, I back squat and pull off the floor every week, but do give myself a de-load every 4 weeks.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

training with my max weights, I can't imagine doing squat & deads on same day,
    in the same week is sometimes too much
    most times if i have a big pull or squat , or a PR i need about a week before my body is ready for another big lift.

in between big lift sessions i'll do assistance moves

Thanks for all of the opinions everyone. I have decided to do them on there on day for awhile and see how it goes.

This is what I am switching to
    Mon- Squats, lower accessory
    Wed- Bench, Shoulders, Triceps
    Fri- Deadlifts, Back, Biceps/Grip

I am planning on deloading every 4th week to give my body adequte recovery time.
    Last edited by muscle_g; 10-08-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log