The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

adaptating my workout

Hey guys,

I've been following SS for four months and have made some great gains. However my overhead press has been sucking bad. The highest I've been able to hit is 95... and I've reset it twice now, back to bar and adding 5lbs each lift. My squat is at 300, my deadlift 325, my bench 120. I'm still adding 5lbs a workout to every lift; except for the OHP. I tend to stall out about halfway up and can squeeze out a few reps but wind up failing 3x5.

I haven't tried microloading and perhaps that is the correct answer. I was thinking last night though; since I have room to grow in my bench press and my OHP is stalling, what would people think if I did my bench press on Monday and Friday, and then did OHP once a week on Wednesday? My reasoning would be advancing my bench/deadlift would work as assistance exercises in the OHP, and I could apply max effort once a week. It would also allow my bench to catch up to my other lifts.

I've reset my squat once, bench once, OHP twice and now stalling again. To date I have been following "the program" and have made no mods to it although I was a little late at starting the powercleans (started w/pendalay rows until I worked up the courage...)

Thanks,

Philip

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Can you post your entire routine? Is it starting strength exactly as written? What is your height/weight? You should not be stalling that much, which makes me think its a diet issue. You may not be eating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Can you post your entire routine? Is it starting strength exactly as written? What is your height/weight? You should not be stalling that much, which makes me think its a diet issue. You may not be eating enough.
    Exactly as written; rotating A and B exercises except initially I did Pendlay rows; last month subbed PC's. I do 3-4 warmup sets for each exercise starting with the bar (except DL I start with 1 set of plates). I don't do any assistance exercises. I do ride bicycle; I commute to work (7 miles round trip) daily and put on an extra 40 miles a week on top of that. I can't GOMAD due to lactose intolerence but I drink between 1/4 to 1/2 gallon a day (even with lactase I can only take so much).

6'0" 198lbs. I've been putting on 1 pound a week, some weeks 2. I haven't counted calories although I do track protein intake and keep it around 150g-175g / day ( ~ 1 gram / pound lbm)

Current stats:

Squat - 300 3x5 [going to reset]
    Deadlift - 325 1x5
    Bench - 120 3x5 [reset once from 120 -> 75]
    OHP - 95 3x5 [reset twice and stalling again]
    PC - 140 5x3

I talked with some people about how my bench/ohp have stalled where other lifts have not and someone suggested it might be due to being tall with longer limbs. I am pretty lanky. My legs have always been stronger than my arms, I played a lot of soccer in school and have cycled for many years.

thanks for any advice and guidance,

Philip
    Last edited by everphilski; 10-04-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by everphilski View Post
    Exactly as written; rotating A and B exercises except initially I did Pendlay rows; last month subbed PC's. I do 3-4 warmup sets for each exercise starting with the bar (except DL I start with 1 set of plates). I don't do any assistance exercises. I do ride bicycle; I commute to work (7 miles round trip) daily and put on an extra 40 miles a week on top of that. I can't GOMAD due to lactose intolerence but I drink between 1/4 to 1/2 gallon a day (even with lactase I can only take so much).

6'0" 198lbs. I've been putting on 1 pound a week, some weeks 2. I haven't counted calories although I do track protein intake and keep it around 150g-175g / day ( ~ 1 gram / pound lbm)

Current stats:

Squat - 300 3x5 [going to reset]
    Deadlift - 325 1x5
    Bench - 120 3x5 [reset once from 120 -> 75]
    OHP - 95 3x5 [reset twice and stalling again]
    PC - 140 5x3

I talked with some people about how my bench/ohp have stalled where other lifts have not and someone suggested it might be due to being tall with longer limbs. I am pretty lanky. My legs have always been stronger than my arms, I played a lot of soccer in school and have cycled for many years.

thanks for any advice and guidance,

Philip
    Bench and OHP are two lifts that are tough to increase on a linear level. Seems like you are of a good weight already for your height. Don't worry about GOMAD...I personally dont feel its necessary unless you are just painfully skinny. You obviously are not.

One thing you can try is this...

On both bench and OHP, reset the weight to a level you KNOW you can get 3x5 with. Then add a set and hit 4x5....the next time you hit that lift, try adding one more set. If you can sucessfully hit a 5x5, you should easily be able to get 3x5 with 5 pounds more the next week. Since you aren't doing any extra accessory work, the extra volume should be easily handled as long as you up your calories slightly. If 5x5 is too much, you can try 3x5 then two sets of 3 afterwards.

This is just one idea.

Alternatively, you can switch to an intermediate program such as madcow 5x5 and give that a try.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 10-04-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    On both bench and OHP, reset the weight to a level you KNOW you can get 3x5 with. Then add a set and hit 4x5....the next time you hit that lift, try adding one more set. If you can sucessfully hit a 5x5, you should easily be able to get 3x5 with 5 pounds more the next week. Since you aren't doing any extra accessory work, the extra volume should be easily handled as long as you up your calories slightly. If 5x5 is too much, you can try 3x5 then two sets of 3 afterwards.
    I like that idea and might just give it a try, thanks.

I drink the milk I can stomach primarily for the protein and extra calories, which allows me to eat whatever the wife cooks at home and take a minimum of protein powder.

My bench still has room to grow; last session I did 120 3x5 easily and for curiocity's sake added another 30lbs and was able to bench it 1x3; so I know I have a few weeks of easy gains there it's just frusturating to me that the OHP has essentially stalled at such a low weight.

I like the full body exercises and plan on sticking with SS as long as I can still milk out gains on the squat/DL, just figured I'd see what I can do about that pesky OHP. So I think I'll stick on the program and just try tweaking the OHP with what you suggested.

Thanks for your advice,

Philip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by everphilski View Post
    I like that idea and might just give it a try, thanks.

I drink the milk I can stomach primarily for the protein and extra calories, which allows me to eat whatever the wife cooks at home and take a minimum of protein powder.

My bench still has room to grow; last session I did 120 3x5 easily and for curiocity's sake added another 30lbs and was able to bench it 1x3; so I know I have a few weeks of easy gains there it's just frusturating to me that the OHP has essentially stalled at such a low weight.

I like the full body exercises and plan on sticking with SS as long as I can still milk out gains on the squat/DL, just figured I'd see what I can do about that pesky OHP. So I think I'll stick on the program and just try tweaking the OHP with what you suggested.

Thanks for your advice,

Philip
    Just keep pushing on man....I am long limbed too and I am only at 155x5 for OHP and my bench is nearly 300 pounds. OHP is a humbling movement for sure. Milk is a great way to increase daily calories...I use it in all my protein shakes. Drinking one gallon a day is just insane though....I tried it once and couldnt stop ripping nasty ones all day LMFAO.