The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - 2 Exercises You Need Now - Bulgarian Squat and Pallof Press

by Mike Scialabba

I'm sure by now your training program is rock solid! However, if it doesn't have these two exercises involved, are at least a variation of them, then your house is being built on bed of sand!

The Fwd Foot Elevated Barbell Bulgarian Split Squat or F.F.E.B.B.S.S (ok that's not any better)

The Pro's:

1. Major increase in hip and glute activation.
    2. Increase core, knee and hip stability.
    3. Increase range of motion and hip mobility.
    4. Reduction in spinal and lumbar stress.

The Con's:

1. It's really, really hard.

How to do it:

Elevate the fwd foot onto a step or aerobic board about 3 inches off the ground. Using a flat bench (preferably) place the rear foot topside down, with the ankle directly on the edge, be sure the bench is placed appropriately allowing the body to move straight down, while maintaining a straight shin on the fwd leg. Place the barbell across your back as you would a back squat, and lower yourself into the movement.

In the bottom position, the chest should be up, the shoulder blades back, the fwd shin vertical, and the fwd quad either parallel with the floor, or the hips below the knee, while the fwd heel remains flat. Press back up out of the fwd heel, and repeat.

Video

The Pallof Press

The Pallof Press is an anti-rotation core exercise that has great benefits for increase lumbar stability and core strength. The lumber region gets neglected way too much through most training programs I see, and incorporating and anti-rotation movement such as this is a great way to cover a few of your bases within your program.

The Pro's:

1. Increased hip, glute, abdominal and lumbar strength.
    2. Major increase in lumbar support and stability.
    3. Decreased risk of injury.

The Con's:

1. People might look at you funny. Joke's on them!

How to do it:

Stand sideways to an apparatus such as a band tied off, or a cable unit that will allow vertical height adjustments to be made. Be sure your loading device in drawn from a position about rib height. Stand with an athletic base, feet hip width apart, knees mildly bent, hips slightly back, and chest up. Take the handle of the loaded device and place your hands directly in the sternum.

Press 'straight' out from the body and hold the load perfectly still while preventing the body from leaning to one side, collapsing at the knees, hips or shoulders, while maintaining adequate breathing.

To increase the difficulty, first narrow the stance. Once the load is achievable with the new stance, you may then increase the load. Add these two stellar exercises into your routine and enjoy stronger legs, stronger hips, and a bulletproof back!

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - October 6th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    Last edited by Joe Black; 10-06-2010 at 03:58 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How long is it recommended to hold the Pallof Press for?

Tony Gentilcore also wrote a good piece on the Pallof Press where he recommends 1-2 secs - http://www.tonygentilcore.com/2010/0...-pallof-press/
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtIffZEzgc

cute, but i'm sure with any weight on that bar, that exercise becomes impossible. The set-up alone would be downright dangerous.
    simplicity is key.