Thread: Help! I'm not eating enough.

Wannabebig Member

Help! I'm not eating enough.

I'm a noob who's recently lost 30 lbs. (of much needed ) weight. I'm 5'7" and when I started lifting I was 215 lbs. I'm now down to 182, but I've cut my calories so low to get there that I'm now starting to notice I'm not as strong in the gym and I'm starting to get light headed fairly easily. I'm currently only eating around 1100 or 1200 calories a day and with excercise I'm literally burning about that much. I know this is far to little, so what's the best way to get back on track and maintain the weight loss without losing muscle. Should I eat more and maintain the level of exercise I'm doing...Eat the same, but cut down the excercise for awhile...What do y'all suggest. I've still got appox. 25-30 pounds to lose to get to a weight that would be suitable for bulking up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I should note that I do take one day a week to eat whatever I want and I usually double my calories on that day.
    Last edited by camdensdaddy; 10-14-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Should I eat more and maintain the level of exercise I'm doing
    Depends how much exercise you're doing but, yes, you need to be eating more than 1100-1200 calories a day

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Depends how much exercise you're doing but, yes, you need to be eating more than 1100-1200 calories a day
    2-3 hours of cardio six days a week and 30-60 minutes of strength training 3 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by camdensdaddy View Post
    I'm a noob who's recently lost 30 lbs. (of much needed ) weight. I'm 5'7" and when I started lifting I was 215 lbs. I'm now down to 182, but I've cut my calories so low to get there that I'm now starting to notice I'm not as strong in the gym and I'm starting to get light headed fairly easily. I'm currently only eating around 1100 or 1200 calories a day and with excercise I'm literally burning about that much. I know this is far to little, so what's the best way to get back on track and maintain the weight loss without losing muscle. Should I eat more and maintain the level of exercise I'm doing...Eat the same, but cut down the excercise for awhile...What do y'all suggest. I've still got appox. 25-30 pounds to lose to get to a weight that would be suitable for bulking up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I should note that I do take one day a week to eat whatever I want and I usually double my calories on that day.

I'm guessing your RMR has slowed waaaay down and youve lost a lot of muscle already simply by only consuming around 1100 kcals. You might want to start eating a lot more and cut down on all that cardio in an attempt to restore your metabolism to normal levels.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    I'm guessing your RMR has slowed waaaay down and youve lost a lot of muscle already simply by only consuming around 1100 kcals. You might want to start eating a lot more and cut down on all that cardio in an attempt to restore your metabolism to normal levels.
    I understand that I need to start eating more. My question is should I gradually start eating a couple hundred calories more each day and gradually cutting down the cardio or just up my calories to something like 2000 and cut the cardio only slightly? I obviously can't continue to lose weight at the rate I'm going, but I don't want to sacrifice the weight loss I've already acheived. What's the best way to get my body back to normal without adding a whole bunch of weight and once I'm there what's the fastest to lose a lot of fat without losing muscle?

I understand that I need to start eating more. My question is should I gradually start eating a couple hundred calories more each day and gradually cutting down the cardio or just up my calories to something like 2000 and cut the cardio only slightly? I obviously can't continue to lose weight at the rate I'm going, but I don't want to sacrifice the weight loss I've already acheived. What's the best way to get my body back to normal without adding a whole bunch of weight and once I'm there what's the fastest to lose a lot of fat without losing muscle?
    Don't just randomly throw on 1k cals. You'd be most likely be using it to pack on fat. If your body thinks its starving, it would do this in order to survive. Instead, drop the cardio all together and pick a couple days to refeed. Meaning, keep your kcals low on non training days (but not 1100 low lol) and then increase them on training days. I cant really tell you how many youll need. I have no idea how skewed your metabolism is. I guess you could try your body weight x 12 on lifting days. But youll need to play around with it.

The whole idea is to stabilize your metabolism here but not put on unwanted fat again.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Id be very careful with this. This sounds like a typical low fat diet. The low fat diet craze is over. It's usually better to cut carbs for total kcals because fat is needed for proper hormones to function.. such as testosterone.. Protein is a no brainer. You wouldn't reduce that.

OP- your problem is a destroyed metabolism at this point. You want to focus on getting it back to a normal level. Going on a severely restricted kcal diet along with a bazillion hours of cardio does nasty things...such as slow a metabolism and reduce FFM.
    Typically my day looks something like this

6:30 am- 1 cup oatmeal (sometimes I eat lower sugar flavored kind)
    1 scoop protein shake

10:00 am- 1 scoop protein shake

Morning Workout- 30-60 min. cardio and/or 30-60 min. weight training

12:00 pm- 4 oz. skinless chicken breast
    1 cup salad (w/ 1 tbsp. low fat ranch dressing)

2:00 pm- 1 scoop protein shake

Afternoon Workout- 60 min. cardio and/or 30-60 min. weight training

5:00 pm- 4-8 oz. chicken, steak, fish, or porkchop
    1/2 cup whole grain brown rice or roasted garlic potatoes
    1 cup green beans (or some kind of veggie)

7:00 pm- 60-90 min. cardio

P.S. I also take 1000mg fish oil with breakfast and supper
    Last edited by camdensdaddy; 10-15-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Typically my day looks something like this

6:30 am- 1 cup oatmeal (sometimes I eat lower sugar flavored kind)
    1 scoop protein shake

10:00 am- 1 scoop protein shake

Morning Workout- 30-60 min. cardio and/or 30-60 min. weight training

12:00 pm- 4 oz. skinless chicken breast
    1 cup salad (w/ 1 tbsp. low fat ranch dressing)

2:00 pm- 1 scoop protein shake

Afternoon Workout- 60 min. cardio and/or 30-60 min. weight training

5:00 pm- 4-8 oz. chicken, steak, fish, or porkchop
    1/2 cup whole grain brown rice or roasted garlic potatoes
    1 cup green beans (or some kind of veggie)

7:00 pm- 60-90 min. cardio

P.S. I also take 1000mg fish oil with breakfast and supper

How are you preparing your protein drinks? I'm going to go ahead and just guess with water or some other low carb substance, lol.

Some very simple changes is 2 things:

1. Cut out all that cardio for awhile.

2. On lifting days, use some sort of juice for your protein drinks.. or add a banana, or maybe some PB.

Some ideas:

If you have a vanilla protein powder, OJ tastes amazing in it. You can add some olive oil in there too. Not much, just under a tbsp.

If its chocolate flavored, add in a dab of peanut butter and maybe half a banana.

These simple changes on training days do 1 important thing. They increase overall kcals without wiping your diet clean. And on non training days, simply taking out all that cardio will also help.

So try that for awhile. Just to recap:

1. You want to stabilize your metabolism. This is really important for fat loss and minimizing muscle loss during a period of caloric restriction.

2. On non training days, keep your diet how you have it laid out for awhile. On training days, prepare your protein shakes the way I described above.

3. Cut out all that cardio.

By doing this, you'll still be in a deficit, I'm sure. You aren't eating much. But I can't safely say, cut out all the cardio and then jack up kcals. you'd have a better chance at increasing body fat if I did. So, by taking out cardio, youll in a sense "up your kcals" because of energy in vs energy out. And on training days, youll provide yourself with enough nutrients to maintain LBM and elevate training intensity with the weights.

Hope this helps. You'll need to make adjustments as you go and carefully monitor your progress each week.

*edit* Pay attention to your body fat rather than the scale when you do this. With the extra nutrients on the training days, you'll most likely gain a couple pounds or so of water weight and other things like glycogen replenishment. And lets face it.. your body is just dying to pack on some fat since you've convinced it that its starving. No matter what, the end result will be better for you.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 10-15-2010 at 03:13 PM.

The advice given by Rich is definitely solid. I'll be a bit of a psychologist with this though, I'm assuming that you've been doing all of this excessive cardio and low calorie eatting as you drastically want to lose more weight right? So I'm assuming then that you might have a harder time, mentally speaking, of giving up your cardio completely.

Trying to go along with what rich stated, I would first start by adjusting the cardio, so I would definitely cut out that late session. Cardio 3 times a day, 6 days a week is extreme. I would try to set it up to where you have at least 1 day, if not 2 days, where you do no cardio or exercising. I would look to cut out that third evening cardio session. Those changes will increase your overall calorie intake due to less calories being burned.

I would try to make sure that I got some sort of protein source in post workout and even cardio. You've probably been burning some muscle by the excessive cardio, coupled with the lower calories, and then the late night cardio while eatting nothing after that session. So you're going almost 12 hours with no nutrients in your system and you already worked your body with that last cardio session.

I'd definitely look to get my caloric intake to about 2,000 calories a day on the average. If you don't want to do that in drastic increases, then make sure your workout days have more calories in them, while your off days can be a bit lower in calories. There are a lot of things you can do in how you approach a low calorie diet, but you don't want to get your calories too low.

One of the biggest things I would do immediately is pick a day, preferrably a workout day, and jack up your carbs for the short term. I'm talking at least 400 grams of carbs, if not more. Cram as many in as you can before and after your workout, and even your cardio sessions when your body will utilize it thouroughly. Your muscles have storages called glycogen, which is basically where the carbs comes in, your muscles store the glycogen and use that for energy. If you aren't eatting enough carbs then your glycogen stores are never full and you could inevitably be burning up muscle.

You need the carbs periodically to re-fill up these glycogen stores, which you use during exercise. So in the immediate you should eat a bunch of carbs one day, and it's not a bad idea to to this once a week until you learn your body more. You should also be increasing your calories (I'm thinking about 2,000 calories a day should suffice), and also cut back on the cardio; 3-4 days of training and another 3-4 cardio sessions should suffice.

Whatever changes you do make, try to keep them consistent and follow it for 10-14 days and re-evaluate and come back to the forum notifying us with the changes that you made and any results that you noticed.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Rich and Time. You've both been incredibly helpful. I tried the chocolate shake mix this morning after my training session and it was delicious (definately sticking with it) and I think I'm going to do what Time said and cut the evening cardio for awhile and gradually up my calories 100 or so every few days until I get my metabolism stablized. Hopefully, I won't gain much fat back in the process, but if I do I guess it's better than the alternative. The whole point of me losing weight was to get into shape and look good. If I'm skinny and weak I guess it's not much better than being fat and happy. It's a process I'm going to have to work on and learn to have more patience with. I'll keep y'all updated on my progress. Thanks again.

Wannabebig New Member
    Hi, what's already been advised by the others is pretty good advise.

That being said, if all you're having is 1100 - 1200 calories a day, that is far too little and is probably a big reason why you might be losing strength.

By the sounds of it you're aiming for quite drastic weight loss as quick as possible. As someone recommended, it might be healthier to be a bit more patient with your weight loss.

The best thing I can recommend is to cut down as much sugar intake as possible!

This will make a big difference to your overall health, as well as weight, so if you can drastically reduce your sugar intake you'll be able to maintain a good level of weight loss.

Keep up the protein intake, get high quality carbs (minimal sugars), and you'll be ok.
    My Weight Gain Diet Blog: Muscle and Weight Gain