Thread: Sumo Deadlift Critique

heading to 195

Sumo Deadlift Critique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOv24QcxQ1Y

The action starts @ 33 seconds for those with ADD like myself.

After all these years, I can't perfect this form.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my butt seems to be slightly coming up first, which shouldn't be happening. How do I correct that?

Any other problems you see?
    Last edited by snow; 10-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Why the straps? I'd cut out the rolling back and forth. The weight is too light to judge anything. You had many reps in you @ 365 but if you don't want to take it to a true 1 RM, bring it to a rep max and we can see where your form breaks down.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

heading to 195
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Why the straps? I'd cut out the rolling back and forth. The weight is too light to judge anything. You had many reps in you @ 365 but if you don't want to take it to a true 1 RM, bring it to a rep max and we can see where your form breaks down.
    I've neglected things like forearms and grip for too long and I've only recently started working on them... so I'm hoping to wean off the straps soon. I think I saw Rippletoe roll it like that, so the weight was an inch or from the shins, and I just developed that into a full blown mental preparation tick.

You're definitely right... I do have more in me... I just blew out my back a year or so ago during regular DL and I've been afraid to take it higher. It's a mental block.

So was the rest of the lift OK then? Is having the butt slightly come up first not a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post

I'll be sure to go barefoot next time!

Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
    I've neglected things like forearms and grip for too long and I've only recently started working on them... so I'm hoping to wean off the straps soon. I think I saw Rippletoe roll it like that, so the weight was an inch or from the shins, and I just developed that into a full blown mental preparation tick.

You're definitely right... I do have more in me... I just blew out my back a year or so ago during regular DL and I've been afraid to take it higher. It's a mental block.

So was the rest of the lift OK then? Is having the butt slightly come up first not a bad thing?
    Have you tried pulling 365 with a mixed grip? Can you use chalk?

I'd highly recommend getting properly setup at the bar, big breath and pull. Anything more is wasted energy and can set you up for injury if you're in an incorrect position.

IMO, the hips rising isn't anything to be concerned with, but like I said, the weight is too light to determine if that's an issue. If you can, if you feel ready, add on more weight and record a max effort attempt.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

First you spend way too much time down over the bar before you actually start pulling. It wastes alot of energy. You should strive to use as little energy as possible in the set-up process so you have more left to actually pull. As far as the actual pull, it looks fine but it's too light a weight to actually tell anything. I see a slight movement up of the hips before you start, but it's hard to tell if that will actually be a problem with heavier weights. If you go up in weight and your technique looks essentially the same as now except the bar moves slower, then you are fine. If you go up in weight and your hips shoot up much worse and it causes you to get rounded over and out of position, then it's a problem. Again we don't know which will be the case until you put some more weight on the bar.

heading to 195
    I never thought about wasting energy while I was down there preparing... good point.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    I hate to laugh, but that was too funny
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

It didn't look that bad, but like most people said it's not really heavy enough. Take video of you pulling some heavier weight and post it up so we can see what's up with your form. Other then that bro, nice work!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life