Thread: westside bench question for travis and other

westside bench question for travis and other

hi , i am a long arm raw bencher with a weakpoint in 2-3board level and have 2 or 3 options to cycle my max effort work :

1. vincent dizenzo 600 raw article / bench(straight,chains or bands), 2board , incline , floorpress, repeat

2. doing 4 exercises for 2 months , than change to another 4 exercises like kennelly in his book /

3. Bench Press work up to 5RM (2 wks)
    2 Board Press 3RM (2 wks)
    Bench Press 3RM (2 wks)
    2 Board Press 1RM (2 wks)
    Bench Press 1RM (2 wks)
    repeat.

4. aj roberts raw bench article "How to build a monstrous bench press"
    - w1 1board / w2 2board / w3 3board /w4 bench

what do you think ?

and travis , how did you cycle you raw routine ? a lot of band-bench right ? but how looks the plan ? week one ? / week 2 ? week 3 ?

thanks a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by xolix View Post
    hi , i am a long arm raw bencher with a weakpoint in 2-3board level and have 2 or 3 options to cycle my max effort work :

1. vincent dizenzo 600 raw article / bench(straight,chains or bands), 2board , incline , floorpress, repeat

2. doing 4 exercises for 2 months , than change to another 4 exercises like kennelly in his book /

3. Bench Press work up to 5RM (2 wks)
    2 Board Press 3RM (2 wks)
    Bench Press 3RM (2 wks)
    2 Board Press 1RM (2 wks)
    Bench Press 1RM (2 wks)
    repeat.

4. aj roberts raw bench article "How to build a monstrous bench press"
    - w1 1board / w2 2board / w3 3board /w4 bench

what do you think ?

and travis , how did you cycle you raw routine ? a lot of band-bench right ? but how looks the plan ? week one ? / week 2 ? week 3 ?

thanks a lot !

I would personally do your second option except tweak it a little. Instead of doing the same exercise for two weeks, I would pick 4 exercises and rotate them every week for a month. After that, on the second month, repeat each exercise you hit on the first month, except go for 5lb PRs on each movement

Then on the 3rd month, pick 4 new movements and repeat the same idea.

As far as your specific weakness, make sure you pick one or two movements a cycle that are specifically tailored to that. For instance paused off the chest, or paused 2brd

For accessory movements, make sure you are doing plenty of heavy dumbbell pressing, some pin pressing and lots of tricep work.

Hope this helps

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Not to hijack this thread, but Travis would you say Pause Bench, Close Grip Inlcines, Floor Press w/ bands, and Wide Grip Bench would be a good selection of movements. I am a raw bencher with long arms and I bench close grip normally, and I am looking to switch to a westside style routine.

Quote Originally Posted by nickp8 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but Travis would you say Pause Bench, Close Grip Inlcines, Floor Press w/ bands, and Wide Grip Bench would be a good selection of movements. I am a raw bencher with long arms and I bench close grip normally, and I am looking to switch to a westside style routine.
    I would probably rather go with

- Pause triples
    - bench with bands or chains (or both ) both close grip and competition grip
    - Floor Press with bands or chains and straight weight (again, all grips)

Remember, each grip, band or chain or straight weight combination is it's own PR. (ex. index on the smooth with minis bands is one. Pinkies on the ring with mini bands is another etc)

And boards if it's appropriate for your sticking point

I'm not a huge fan of taking a paused single max in the gym before a meet because it plays with your head too much. Know your opener (which you should about be able to triple or at least double) and let the rest roll at the meet.

Also not a big fan of close grip inclines. Never really had a lot of luck with them and they are one of the very few things that will irritate my elbows.

*Side note to others reading this, keep in mind this training is for raw competitors. Paused stuff isn't quite as beneficial (raw) for geared lifters. Save that for your shirt.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

hey thanks, my exercises would be : 2boardpress / chainbench / floorpress / paused bench for 2 months , and then 1boardpress / monstermini-bench / floorpress closer grip / bench

sounds good ?

on ME day my assistence work : dumbbell bench or incline bb bench 3 sets of 6-8 reps , lockoutwork (pinpresses/close grip bench or 3boardpress) 3 sets of 5 pyramid up , rows 4 sets of 8-10 and hammercurls 2 sets of 8

DEday : speed bench 8 x 3 with bands or chains , dumbbell shoulderpress 3 x 8 , chin ups 3 x failure , light triceps 3 x 12 , bent over sideraises or bandpullaparts or facepulls 2 x 12-15 reps , bb curls for 2 x 8-12

i do upper back work on benchdays because i have a extra squat day and a extra deadlift day ( 5/3/1 ) .