The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Soreness, cardio, <- Sorry I'm new

I've spent at least the last few hours reading through the site and doing some searching so I hope I'm not re-hashing well covered ground for the millionth time

I have pretty good knowledge but usually poor determination. I'll be lifting for a while consistantly and start seeing some good results then I stop - for whatever reason, none of them are ever good. My motivation is a seperate issue though. So I'm back in the gym now, hopefully for the long haul this time, and doing my routine, 1 body part per week and I'm not doing all that many sets/reps but I'm still quite sore 4-5 days afterwards!! My diet is decent and I don't believe that's the cause of this enhanced soreness but I could be wrong. So I have two questions from this:

1. Any ways to alleviate the pain at least a little? Type of aspirin? Massage? stretching? Hair of the dog?
    2. Why might it be so bad? I've never had this problem in all the times I've gone back to the gym!

How much cardio is recomended for someone who is 5'7" and 160lbs with about 20%bf? I've looked and couldn't find any info on it, sorry if I missed it.

Thanks,
    Thanks
    -Chris

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Vitamin C has worked for me to reduce soreness. I take my regular 1000 mg in the morning, then another 1000 right before my workout.

HTH,

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I swim, always losens me out, helps heaps.

And you might laugh, but my chick has got me started in a yoga glass. You think you might have good upper body strength... well this will out it all in perspective!! Stretches you out heaps and works you too. I'm not into all that meditation though... bit hippy for me.

And of course I get out on a ski or in a kayak too.

4 days seems like a long time to be sore though, sure you didn't go back in there too hard?? Ease back into it.

I'll now be including a Vit C supplement! Thanks for the tip!

I've wanted to take yoga for several reasons: flexibilty (helps resistance to injury), relaxation, and muscle health. Unfortunately there are no convenient classes in my area and same deal with the pool - although I can get to one of those occassionally.

My workout yesterday has not made me as sore as the previous ones since I went back so maybe I went back a bit too hard and fast.
    Thanks
    -Chris

Ecoli die
    When I re-start after a long haiatus, I'm always extremely sore for the first few weeks but then it gets to feeling good!
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Wannabebig New Member

aspirin

i just read a new article saying taht over the counter pain relievers block protein synthesis, better of with the vitamin c

AFDSaints90 do you have a link to the article? Thanks for the heads up.
    Thanks
    -Chris

-Stretching
    -Light aerobic work
    -Massage
    -Sauna
    -Hot tub
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

times always a good one, especially when your a begginner and your body is starting to adapt nearly everone i know has experienced this.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Wannabebig New Member
    it was in this months muscle and fitness-said everything from tylenol to aleve has some affect on protein synthesis
    i believe it was in there anyway-i try and read as much as i can get my hands on ya know? lose track easily

I dont know if this is true or not but I dont think hot tubbing is good if your sore. Heat causes inflamation IIRC. You never heat a pulled muscle, so why would you to a sore muscle? Wouldnt ice make more sense?

I've heard the same thing even to the point of recomending lukewarm showers opposed to hot. Not sure of the validity though.
    Thanks
    -Chris

That's a good call that one, has me thinking. I've been told to shower after a workout in water that is as hot as I can bare. This keeps blood pumping through the muscles for longer and will helps the recovery process.

Contary to that, I've been told that the last think to do with sore muscles is to have a hot bath as the muscles then get tighter after you get out of the hot water and dry off and cool back down.

Wannabebig New Member
    miami's football team dunks themselves in icebaths the day before their games so they have fresh legs-and they say it works

I didn't mean to argue with the experts Mr. "I heard this" and Mr. "I thought that"

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    I didn't mean to argue with the experts Mr. "I heard this" and Mr. "I thought that"
    If that was pointed to me I didn't say you were wrong, and I'm in no position to do so. Just said I heard something about it and that's all I offered - not that it was the way to do something or not. In other words I'm trying to figure out why my post warranted sarcasm. I don't see it.

Jeez, not the way I wanted to start posting on a new board - everywhere online sarcasm and arguments... Sorry if I'm the one to fly off the handle.
    Thanks
    -Chris

Hand bags at the ready girls, LOL!!!

That's an interesting point about the ice baths. I was looking at TV the other night, and an Aussie Rules team were walking in the cold sea waters in Melbourne somewhere. So maybe there is some theory about very cold water being good for the muscles.

I'm not an expert! but I think it's known as a hungarian bath - not positive.
    Thanks
    -Chris

LOL

Don't take it personally, I just love being a jerk. I do it to everybody.

ok cool - my apologies for jumping the gun. I've spent way too much time on sites dedicated to people arguing and insulting. I just wanna learn
    Thanks
    -Chris

I just talked with a physio and he said that hot tub would be good. He also said unless there is inflamation there is no need for ice. It is a good idea to heat before stretching muscles aswell which is why we warm up.
    Thanks
    -Chris

Wannabebig Member
    i hot bath in epsin (sp?) salts is also a good idea.

take glutamine..

yup I gots the Glutamine.

I think/hope that it's just the fact that I'm returning to working out after a long break. Did legs on Tuesday and they're STILL sore today but at least I can walk like a normal person today.

Going to work my way through and keep going but if this keeps up I'm going to have to change how I lift - can't go through daily life unable to use stairs while having working legs.
    Thanks
    -Chris