The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats your most functional lift?

In everyday life that is. What specific lift transfers over into your daily use the most?

Yesterday at work I was being passed an extremely expensive pump seal when my coworker started to lose it. It only weighed 80lbs but at outstretched arms was definetly a heavy load and he quickly started to lose it. I reached out from the opposite direction and got ahold of it before it went down and I quickly found myself in his situation. And though I'm not particularly strong, fortunately I had just enough shoulder strength to get it safely over to the ledge.

I got to thinking about it after that... what if I never touched a weight in my life, would I have been able to make that recovery? I honestly dont think so because I barely did in that situation. And after thinking about it more, I concluded that lateral raises definetly transfer over into my physical lifestyle more than any other lift I practice.

What's yours?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Curls...seriously.
    Think about how much stuff you do with your arms and your biceps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

im the opposite to use guys lol.

i can lift quite heavy in the weight room but have no functional stength in day to day life.

for instance my father has never been into lifting weights however thorugh out his whole life he has had unbelieveable functional strength!! lifting car engines etc.

and he is so weak in the gym....lol

Im an order picker, for big grocery stores, I do a lot of picking up of the ground but stuff ranges between 3 - 25kgs, when I get a drink order full of boxes full of, 12 x 1.25 litre drinks, Its only 13kgs but when i have to pick 10's - 100's of them, it really burns my back and biceps and a little of everything else

I thought deadlift helped me out but id have to say bicep curls of some sort, my back does burn but that's from continuous bending and squatting, but my bicep get a great workout at work, mostly static really while i carry the item,

About the dad, I know its amazing how they have functional strength, im literally 2 - 3 stronger than my dad in a gym environment, but when its on the building site carrying bricks and planks, he does it with ease where as i struggle quite a bit lol
    Bodyweight : 195 - Height: 5' 9

Current lifts:
    DL - 490 x 1 - 462 x 4 ... Nearly 500 so close
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BP - 302 x 1 - 258 x 5, 225 x 10
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=108252&page=3

Us old guys get functionally strong from doing the same hard work for many years. You just get good at what you do, day in and day out, for many years.

By the way, that's two votes for curls if anybody's keeping track
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    For my every day job, its indirectly deadlifts. I sit at a desk all day so I am prone to get back pain....as long as I am deadlifting, I never feel anything.

For my 2nd job, which is working on cars...deadlifts again. Picking up trannys and putting them on the tranny jack is a lot easier now.

+1 for deadlifting.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Probably deadlifts as well. I lift a lot of equipment for my band, and I use very good form when I do it. It directly comes from the fact that I deadlift often.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Squatting, I guess. I work a desk job in front of a computer 8 hours a day and there is very little strength involved. However I cycle commute to work, and squats have definitely increased my thigh muscle mass and strength, especially for short bursts. My average speed has gone up a few miles/hour since weightlifting, I guess with the additional available muscle fiber and CNS improvements.

Has to be Overhead Press, I work with 25KG samples of liquid, and I store them above head hight so no one bothers to lose them for me Odd it is my weakest lift..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Curls...seriously.
    Think about how much stuff you do with your arms and your biceps.
    ditto (even though I never actually train them)
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Squats - When my 110lb Rottweiler blew his ACL I had to lift him in and out of the truck to get back and forth to the vet. Without my legs being strong I probably would have blew a disc in my back or something.

Dead Lift as well.

Also at parties I get guys jumping on my back - I then start squatting them - Freaks them out!!!
    Last edited by kjd2121; 10-14-2010 at 12:45 PM.

not to sound cliched, but prolly deadlifts. it may sound funny, but when i have to lift and move something really heavy (in everyday life), i picture doing a deadlift+row kind of motion. i can move around some serious stuff that even my friends who are a lot bigger than me have a hard time with
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Another vote for deadlifts.

Deadlifts and side bends.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I had a feeling deads would be most popular. The reason I didn't list them is I seldom (if ever) actually have to use the strength I've trained them to (which isn't all that much). But it seemswith at least some frequency I'm using my shoulders in a raising motion to an extent that would be completely undoable have I not years of training them.

Agree though that deads make picking up everyday, sub pr weight type lifts, much more maneagable and therefore extremely functional.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'm a construction inspector, and I spend most of my time either at my laptop or in the seat of the company vehicle driving to sites. So I don't know. Deads? None?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Deads.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I'm a carpenter, so I suppose anything involving grip, forearms, triceps, and shoulders. I'd say my job requires some of eveything; but I know my hands, wrists and elbows take a beating. Many other muscles are needed, but to a degree that is easy to build past in the gym with squats, deadlifts, etc. So I guess my "functional limiting muscle group" would be forearms if that makes any sense.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    I'm a carpenter, so I suppose anything involving grip, forearms, triceps, and shoulders. I'd say my job requires some of eveything; but I know my hands, wrists and elbows take a beating. Many other muscles are needed, but to a degree that is easy to build past in the gym with squats, deadlifts, etc. So I guess my "functional limiting muscle group" would be forearms if that makes any sense.
    Double overhand carrying 3/4" plywood or drywall takes a **** ton of grip and shoulder strength.

jeez I need no functional strength at all since i work in a lab, but I jump around outside so I guess deads. I think my explosive vertical and ability to lift my body up from a hang are directly related to my strong deadlifts and a strong grip too, NEED a strong grip to deadlift and dangle. Though in general its not easy running around like a monkey outside at 270 lbs.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    jeez I need no functional strength at all since i work in a lab, but I jump around outside so I guess deads. I think my explosive vertical and ability to lift my body up from a hang are directly related to my strong deadlifts and a strong grip too, NEED a strong grip to deadlift and dangle. Though in general its not easy running around like a monkey outside at 270 lbs.
    parkour?

To me, it's got to be any sort of press. The ability to push someone far enough away to draw a sidearm on. However curls have reinforced the ability to make the most drunken person resist if need be.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    parkour?
    Haha, I have a difficult time visualizing a 270 lb dude doing parkour but I'd like to hear more on what exactly he means by jumping around and dangling...
    Last edited by Keith; 10-17-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Haha, I have a difficult time visualizing a 270 lb dude doing parkour but I'd like to hear more on what exactly he means by jumping around and dangling...
    That would be BAD***** tho.