Thread: grip choices

grip choices

where do you guys usually place your grips for bench, standing shoulder press, deadlift, etc.? just curious cuz it seems like its all about preference.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Just outside shoulder width for all three.

Bench press I put my hands on the rings (a little bit outside my shoulder width). For standing overhead press I put them almost touching my shoulders. And for deadlifts, their just outside my legs.

Banned
    Standing shoulder press, pinkies on the rings. I found I am a ton stronger like this. Bench press, I need to go wide to reduce ROM because of my long arms so I go index fingers on rings. I find that I am actually pretty strong with the pinkies, but I run out of gas quickly because the rom is just so damn long. For deadlifts, I use a mixed grip. Left hand is upside down with index on the ring and right hand is normal grip with pinky on the ring.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 10-19-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Always learning
    I like shoulder width on most of my barbel lifts.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

see, my grips are a little inside the rings for bench press. deadlift they're inside my legs. and shoulder press they're a few inches inside the rings.i take it doing it this way may be targeting the wrong muscle groups and or making my lifts utilize incorrect form? i've looked at plenty of videos and they all seem about right in terms of form, and i havent had any injuries (knock on wood)...
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe