Thread: Yearly phases

Yearly phases

How do you guys organize your plans for the year?

How about strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning phases? Do you guys devote seperate times to each?

I'm becoming interested in devoting certain periods of time to different goals while maintaining the others. Like, right now I'm devoting 8 to 12 weeks to conditioning, while maintaining strength. Later, I'd like to devote a period of time to bulding strength while maintaining the conditioning. Then I want to throw some hypertrophy work in there. And so an and so forth.

How do you guys arrange the year?
    Last edited by Off Road; 10-18-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I just do the same thing year round...I envy people that can just slab the muscle on for 3 months then cut all the fat off another 3 months. I will never be able to do that with how my body responds to weight training. Its slow and steady for me, all year.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I just do the same thing year round...I envy people that can just slab the muscle on for 3 months then cut all the fat off another 3 months. I will never be able to do that with how my body responds to weight training. Its slow and steady for me, all year.
    agreed...same here
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

I understand where you guys are coming from. I too believe that gains come slowly and consistancy is the key to gaining. But I also know that specializing is a great way to increase that growth in a shorter time frame, similar to the 30 lb bench routine or ths Super Squats routine. You don't ignore the progression on the main lifts, but you keep it regulated to focus your recouperation on one task; conditioning, hypertrophy, or strength in a particular lift.

Recently I've been really pushing the conditioning work. At the same time I've continued with my 5/3/1 routine but I've cut out most of the accessory lifts. If I can maintain the level of strength but increase my conditioning, I think I'll be primed for bigger gains in the strength department when I cut back on the conditioning work. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I just think it starts getting too hard to continually increase on all fronts as you become more advanced. In the beginning you don't have too much problem losing fat, gaining muscle, and getting stronger, all at the same time. But the more advanced you get, it seems you have to pick a goal because you can't serve all those masters at the same time.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I understand where you guys are coming from. I too believe that gains come slowly and consistancy is the key to gaining. But I also know that specializing is a great way to increase that growth in a shorter time frame, similar to the 30 lb bench routine or ths Super Squats routine. You don't ignore the progression on the main lifts, but you keep it regulated to focus your recouperation on one task; conditioning, hypertrophy, or strength in a particular lift.

Recently I've been really pushing the conditioning work. At the same time I've continued with my 5/3/1 routine but I've cut out most of the accessory lifts. If I can maintain the level of strength but increase my conditioning, I think I'll be primed for bigger gains in the strength department when I cut back on the conditioning work. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I just think it starts getting too hard to continually increase on all fronts as you become more advanced. In the beginning you don't have too much problem losing fat, gaining muscle, and getting stronger, all at the same time. But the more advanced you get, it seems you have to pick a goal because you can't serve all those masters at the same time.
    This I agree with...a good example is my bench. On 5/3/1, the other 3 lifts increase pretty consistently month to month but bench is always a struggle. I might need to do a 30 pounds in 30 days for that but if you specialize in something for a while, it means you need to take away from something else (military press).

I think swapping the accessories for the conditioning stuff is a good idea. If you did both, I would say you would burn out pretty quickly. But then there are those genetic freaks that can do set after set and not burn out.