Thread: Question on Reps/Sets?

Wannabebig New Member

Question on Reps/Sets?

Hi People,

At present I currently do my sets/reps as follows:-

x4 sets of x8 reps (I hope I've got that the right way around?)

I'm looking to increase my bicep size as I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau so am wondering whether it would be better for me to increase my lift weight but lower the number of reps I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

If you want to increase your biceps further, you'll have to gain size EVERYWHERE. Your body doesn't like to grow out of proportion. Start squatting, deadlifting, and eating a liittle more, that should spark some new growth in the gunz.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If you want to increase your biceps further, you'll have to gain size EVERYWHERE. Your body doesn't like to grow out of proportion. Start squatting, deadlifting, and eating a liittle more, that should spark some new growth in the gunz.
    This is good advice. Also try to get really strong at pull-ups or chin-ups and rows. Even though your back/lats are the prime movers, your biceps get plenty of work. After your chins or rows you can do 2-3 sets of curls for sets of 10-20 as "finishers" for your biceps.
    In general a great way for most people to gain size in a particular area is to get stronger on a big compound movement that hits the area in the 5-20 rep range. Then do a few sets of an isolation exercise for the area basically just to pump some blood into the area (don't worry about the poundage on these, just try to feel it in the target area). Many people do a ton of isolation work, but don't really put the time and effort in to drive up the poundage on the main lifts.

Off Road and Sean S are both right. Get stronger at the bigger lifts, eat lots, and you'll grow.

Everyone is correct. To gain size in your arms you have to gain it all over. Until your intermediate to advanced don't be concerned with a whole lot of specific work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Billythefish View Post
    Hi People,

am wondering whether it would be better for me to increase my lift weight but lower the number of reps I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Always do this. Always increase the weight and don't worry about rep schemes, etc. Far better to bust your ass with 20 sets of heavy singles or doubles than fart around with 4 sets of 8 reps. Really PUSH yourself. Nothing packs on arm mass like heavy ass weight and meat. Barbell Rows, as heavy as you can stand em (I'm talking till your eyes bleed), will grow your arms.

Wannabebig Member
    +1 The most important thing is getting bigger/stronger everywhere, and that depends on the main lifts. You can also do some isolation like curls (at the end of the workout) for the pump.