Thread: 1x5 deadlifts SS question

1x5 deadlifts SS question

Hey guys,

Been doing SS for a few months now and have seen improvements in my lifts and technique. I have reset all of my lifts once except for the deadlift, and am wondering if now is the time.

When performing my 1x5 deadlifts (right now at 345lb), I can get out the first thee reps easily, the fourth is a struggle to lockout but I do lock it out, and then I need to catch my breath for 30 seconds or so before attempting the fifth successfully. It's been like this for the last three or so sessions. Mixed grip no straps.

Should I reset now or keep pushing? I figure 1x4 + 1x1 isn't all that different from 1x5, and maybe I should wait until it's more like 1x3 + 1x1 + 1x1 ... Just curious what you guys think I should do.

For reference:
    I weight 200lb, 6'0", gained about 15 lbs in the past 4 months.
    Squat is at about 250 (hit 300 and reset to 225 to perfect form/depth)
    Bench is 135 (reset once)
    OHP is 95 (reset twice and struggling)
    Power cleans are 145 (started with pendlay rows then switched to pc's so it's a bit low ...)

thanks,

Philip

Banned
    You still got 5 reps man...good job.

Since the deadlift is in fact a "dead" lift, I see no problem with catching your breath between reps. 30 seconds is a bit excessive though but I do the same thing. I did 9 reps last night with heavy weight and the 5th to 9th rep all had slight rests in between, maybe 8-10 seconds. Resetting the weight every time is better than touch and go IMO. I see touch and go as being dangerous in the long run as you can easily lose your form/groove. Taking a quick breath and resetting the weight ensures you will be able to keep your form.

This is what I would do....if deadlifting twice in the week, add a rep instead of weight on the 2nd day. Then add 5 pounds for the next week when you only perform the deadlift once and go for 5 reps again.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Since the deadlift is in fact a "dead" lift, I see no problem with catching your breath between reps. 30 seconds is a bit excessive though but I do the same thing. I did 9 reps last night with heavy weight and the 5th to 9th rep all had slight rests in between, maybe 8-10 seconds. Resetting the weight every time is better than touch and go IMO. I see touch and go as being dangerous in the long run as you can easily lose your form/groove. Taking a quick breath and resetting the weight ensures you will be able to keep your form.
    I always do a full reset between reps, when I lower the weight I'm not in the same position I was in to raise the weight, it takes a second or two to straighten my back and make sure my butt is in position. A few second turnaround. But the fourth is a struggle and the fifth requires a breathing break.

Appreciate the advice, thanks!

philip

I don't think they should be rest/paused. A reset at the bottom is fine, but not the lengthy break. That's an intensity technique and not part of Starting Strength.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I don't think they should be rest/paused. A reset at the bottom is fine, but not the lengthy break. That's an intensity technique and not part of Starting Strength.
    Yeah 30 seconds is way too much.

I would try the weight again and see if you can force yourself to crank out the 5th rep with only a short rest (5-8 secs). Im wondering if its a conditioning problem vs just muscle fatigue. Deadlifts are a really taxing movement and since you only do 1 set at a time, your conditioning for them may not be up to par. For instance, I took about 4 months off deads. My strength really never left when I returned to them...I could still pull up 4+ plates. But my ability to crank out rep after rep on them was the hardest thing to get back.

Another thought is resetting deadlifts again and letting your other lifts catch up...then you can switch to an intermediate routine such as madcow 5x5 or 5/3/1.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 10-20-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I would try the weight again and see if you can force yourself to crank out the 5th rep with only a short rest (5-8 secs). Im wondering if its a conditioning problem vs just muscle fatigue. Deadlifts are a really taxing movement and since you only do 1 set at a time, your conditioning for them may not be up to par. For instance, I took about 4 months off deads. My strength really never left when I returned to them...I could still pull up 4+ plates. But my ability to crank out rep after rep on them was the hardest thing to get back..
    Good idea, otherwise you and OffRoad are right it's probably time for a reset. Thanks.

Philip