Thread: NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - 3 Push Ups Variations for a Better Routine

NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - 3 Push Ups Variations for a Better Routine

by Mike Scialabba

We all know that heavy pressing with barbells and dumbbells are far superior to increasing hypertrophy or "size" of ones chest, shoulders and tri's in comparison to other movements, but let's not forget about the fundamental importance of maintaining push ups in a solid upper body routine. Push ups are one of the few pressing exercises that can be utilized for chest and arm development while still maintaining scapula movement and increasing core strength.

Here are 3 Push Up variations you can utilize to seriously benefit any upper body routine!

Drop Outs (CNS activator)

Use this to prime the Nervous System and heat the muscles prior to your heavy pressing. Start by standing adequately away from a bench. Drop straight into the bench ready to catch yourself in a push up position. Once your hands hit the bench drop straight down into a push up and fire off as hard and fast as you can propelling yourself back to your starting position. Do this for only sets of 3-5 when utilizing it as an 'activator'.

Chain or Plate Loaded

This push up variation can be used as a major movement for some trainees, or as a secondary movement for pretty much anyone no matter how tough you are. If chains aren't available, you can simply have someone place a plate on your back, just make sure they're there to take it off for you when you're done!

Powerlifter J.T Hall shows us how Plate Loaded Push Ups are done with 360LBS!

Control Freak Ricochet

This is a modified ripped off version of Tuminnello's more speed oriented Swiss Ball ricochet. Use this as a finisher or between auxiliary sets. Tightly squeeze the sides of a Swiss Ball. Perform a complete push up off the ball, lightly touching the chest to the ball as to not create any bounce. When nearing the top of the push up, jerk the ball off the ground bringing it hard into the chest and straight back into the floor, all the while maintaining near flawless push up position. As the ball touches down allow the body to regain movement toward the ball, again not losing control or allowing the body to 'rush' back into the ball.

Add these movements into your next upper body routine and reap the rewards of healthier shoulders, a strong anterior chain, and better chest!

--------------

Mike is the Director and Owner of the Missoula Underground Strength Training Center located in Missoula, Montana. He's an Expert Strength Coach and has been in the business for nearly a decade working with hundreds of individuals utilizing conventional and unconventional training methods. Be sure to check out his blog!

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - October 13th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    Last edited by Joe Black; 10-13-2010 at 05:01 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I have issues in both my shoulders that really limits my pressing as well, I have been thinking about adding in pushups as they are a very basic but effective exercise. I was thinking about picking up some bands from elite fts, and do band push ups which is also another good variation of push ups too.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I used to do band push ups and its a good way to add some resistance, but I always found my wrists got pretty painful when doing them.

I generally do push ups as part of a circuit or as a dynamic warm up for pushing days now.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Back in my college days I and a friend used to do plate-loaded push-ups. After a couple of years though I found it too stressful on the wrists. The traditional bench press for some reason didn't bother them though...maybe because I could keep my wrists a little straighter.