The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Fst-7

Quest for IFBB Pro Card The Spartan's Avatar

Fst-7

Hey guys,
    anyone used or using or heard of FST-7 training?
    Follow me on facebook http://tiny.cc/thespartan

Todays preparation determines tomorrows achievement

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – AtLarge Nutrition sponsored Athlete

My Journal - The Spartans Quest For IFBB Pro Card Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've heard of it - Rambod's deal, right? Supposedly Cutler used it? Can you outline it here? I am not really familiar with it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Here it is! a long read, but this stuff is amazing! never felt a pump like it!

FST-7 FASCIA STRETCH TRAINING-7

WHAT: A training method centered around stretching the fascia, a thin sheath of connective tissue that holds muscles and organs in place, but can actually hinder gains in muscle size.

HOW IT WORKS: Stretching the fascia from the inside out by engorging the muscle with blood, thus loosening it to create room for greater growth.

WHEN TO USE IT: On the final exercise for tTHE MAGIC NUMBER "By and large, 7 is the preferred number of sets. I've tried less and found that most of my clients were not able to attain the best possible pump, while for others it was overkill. Ultimately, it will be determined by the individual's recuperative capabilities."

FREQUENCY "Once or twice per week. This was devised as a method for bringing up lagging bodyparts, so it's used for your two weakest muscles. For example, if back and legs are lagging, limit 7s to just those bodyparts. Large muscles take longer to recover because of the high level of damage sustained. For smaller muscles, which recover more rapidly--such as arms and calves--twice a week is fine. Do not use it for every bodypart (e.g., four or five workouts per week), because the level of intensity and volume will lead to overtraining."

ISOLATION VS. COMPOUND "Generally, I prefer isolation movements and machines over free-weight compound exercises, as the latter involves a great deal of balance and technique, which becomes an issue with muscular fatigue. Also, ancillary muscles--supporting muscles--usually give out before the target muscle, further detracting from the main muscle's workload. However, advanced trainers who have built sufficient strength and mastered proper technique and the mind-to-muscle connection can benefit from using compound exercises for their 7s."

HOW MANY REPS? "Try to use the same weight for all 7 sets, but it's OK to drop down if you're unable to reach your target number of repetitions. Of course, if you're hitting your target number of reps with ease, increase the weight. Remember, it's a progressive system."

TIPS FOR MAXIMUM GROWTH

* Do heavy, basic movements first: A stronger muscle is a bigger muscle and vice versa. Heavy compound exercises done in the base workout prior to the last movement are crucial for three reasons: they build size, density and strength, which in turn, allow for the use of heavier weight for 7s.

* Rest less: To supersaturate the muscles, rest no more than 30-45 seconds between sets to keep blood in the muscles.

* Contract: Flex the target muscle for 30 seconds between sets to put further pressure on the fascia.

* Stretch: Stretching needs to be done during the workout, while the muscle is pumped--in addition to before and after--to further loosen the fascia. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Alternate stretching and flexing (stretch after the first set, flex after the second set, etc.).

* All year long: This technique can be used both offseason and precontest. The reps will be lower in the offseason and higher precontest.

RAMBOD'S 7 DEADLY SINS

Don't let your gains go down the drain by committing these mistakes.

1. Not training heavy enough:

A common misconception is that 7s are just light pump sets. Not true! You're lifting the same weight that you would use on your second to last set, the heaviest one. If your target is 10 reps. 9 and 10 should be brutally hard.

2. Not eating enough: You need enough food to not only complete the workout, but also to fuel growth postworkout. Generally, that's about 1 1/2-2 grams of protein, 2-3 g of carbs and 1/2- 1 g of fat per pound of lean body mass per day.

3. Not sleeping enough: The hard work in the gym is the catalyst for muscle growth, but all of that is wasted without proper recuperation. Eight hours of solid sleep per night is a good starting point.

4. Not drinking enough water: Muscles are composed primarily of water and it's especially important when trying to increase blood volume. Drink plenty of water before the workout and sip about 2 ounces in between each set of 7s.

5. Sloppy form: Using momentum, whether it's swinging or bouncing the weight, is to be avoided at all costs. Not only are you robbing your muscles from working harder, you're inviting injury. Perform smooth, controlled reps.

6. Not using a full range of motion: Complete development comes from a full range of motion on every rep. Half-reps or partials should only be used as a technique to extend a set beyond failure.

7. Overtraining: If you're not seeing results, chances are that you're not recovering from the workload. Reevaluate numbers 2 and 3 above.

FST-7
    TRAINING SPLIT

DAY 1 Legs (AM, quads; PM, hams and calves)

DAY 2 Shoulders, rear delts and traps

DAY 3 Arms

DAY 4 Off

DAY 5 Chest and calves

DAY 6 Back and abs

DAY 7 Rest
    TARGET * BICEPS

BARBELL CURLS

A staple for big biceps, and Rambod sees no need to reinvent the wheel - minus one stipulation: he favors a cambered bar (EZ-bar) for its wrist friendly properties. However, he is not above using the more traditional straight bar. "The key is to use both." Rambod explains. "I like the straight bar earlier in the workout as a base movement and the cambered bar for 7s at the end, to keep wrist strain to a minimum."

BEGINNING 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Machine curls 3 8-12

Alternating dumbbell curls 3 8-12

EZ- bar curls 7 8-12

INTERMEDIATE 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Alternating dumbbell curls 3 8-12

Preacher curls 3 8-12

Hammer curls 3 8-12

EZ-bar curls 7 8-12

ADVANCED 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Barbell curls 3 8-12

Dumbbell preacher curls 3 8-12

Cable curls 3 8-12

Spider curls 7 8-12
    "Keep your shoulders back to maintain stress on the biceps."

"At the top, rather than letting the biceps 'rest,' contract them hard."

"Minimize swinging. It's not a lower-back and leg workout."

TIP

"Alternate between a shoulder-width and narrow grip, not only because it hits a favorable part of the muscle - the long head, which is vital in the rear double biceps pose--but also because you get a longer range of motion. Of course, if your inner biceps are lagging behind, throw in the wide grips, too."

STRETCH

Hold arms straight down in front of your body, backs of hands facing each other.

ALTERNATE EXERCISES

* Machine preacher curls

* Spider curls

CABLE CROSSOVERS

Presses with barbells and dumbbells are the core of most chest programs, but for 7s, isolation exercises are preferred. "With compound movements, the triceps usually give out before the pecs have had a chance to be thoroughly fatigued," Rambod says. "Cable crossovers take the triceps out of the equation, allowing 100% focus on the pecs. But advanced trainers can use a compound movement."

BEGINNING 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Incline barbell presses 3 8-12

Flat-bench dumbbell presses 3 8-12

Pec decks 7 8-12

INTERMEDIATE 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Incline dumbbell presses 3 8-12

Flat-bench dumbbell presses 3 8-12

Incline dumbbell flyes 3 8-12

Cable crossovers 7 8-12

ADVANCED 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Incline dumbbell presses 3 8-12

Flat-bench flyes 3 8-12

Hammer Strength flat-bench presses 3 8-12

Incline Smith machine presses 7 8-12
    "To hit the upper pecs, finish with your hands high."

"Bring your hands to mid-chest level to target the middle pecs."

"Finish with your hands low to emphasize the lower pecs."

TIP

"At the top, keep your elbows bent. To avoid injuring your shoulders, do not let your hands come up higher than your elbows. Stick your chest out and roll your shoulders back to stress the pectorals and keep the front delts from taking over. Get a good stretch at the top and touch your hands at the bottom for a complete contraction."

STRETCH

Extend arm at shoulder height, grab a sturdy post, twist hips in opposite direction from arm.

ALTERNATE EXERCISES

* Pec decks

* Incline Smith machine presses

ONE-ARM CABLE LATERAL RAISES

A go-to exercise for side delts is the one-arm cable lateral raise. "We want to isolate it as much as possible without letting the stronger front deltoids take over," Rambod says. "I like the cables for the constant resistance, which is minimal in the beginning with dumbbells. In addition, unilateral movements are always good for improving symmetry."

BEGINNING 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Seated military presses 3 8-12

Dumbbell front raises 3 8-12

Machine lateral raises 7 8-12

INTERMEDIATE 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Seated military presses 3 8-12

Dumbbell front raises 3 8-12

Upright rows 3 8-12

Dumbbell lateral raises 7 8-12

ADVANCED 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Seated dumbbell presses 3 8-12

Dumbbell lateral raises 3 8-12

Front barbell raises 3 8-12

Upright rows 3 8-12

One-arm cable lateral raises 7 8-12
    "Always start with the handle in front. Starting from the rear will cause damage to the rotator cuff. Lead with your elbow, not your wrist."

"Notice that the pinky is higher than the thumb and the elbow is higher than the hand."

"To keep stress on the delts, finish no higher than shoulder level."

TIP

"Lateral raises are tricky to master because of all the moving parts involved; you've got finger, hand and elbow position, range of motion and other things. They're not a power move, so don't worry too much about the weight. It's all about targeting the right area of the deltoids."

STRETCH

One arm behind your body at 90-degree angle, pull with opposite hand.

ALTERNATE EXERCISES

* Machine lateral raises

* Dumbbell lateral raises

LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS

Rambod has his own take on this classic counterpoint to the barbell curl. "It's a great movement for packing on overall triceps size," he says, "but there's a fundamental flaw: at the starting point, when the barbell is over the chest, the triceps are getting a break. That's dead space. Plus, bringing the bar down to your forehead decreases the range of motion. My variation takes care of both issues at once."

BEGINNING 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Close-grip bench presses 3 8-12

Dips 3 8-12

Overhead cable extensions 7 8-12

INTERMEDIATE 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Lying triceps extensions 3 8-12

Overhead dumbbell extensions 3 8-12

Kickbacks 3 8-12

Rope pushdowns 7 8-12

ADVANCED 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Close-grip bench presses 3 8-12

Reverse-grip pushdowns 3 8-12

Machine dips 3 8-12

Lying triceps extensions 7 8-12
    "Start with the bar behind your head, with arms fully extended at a 45-degree angle from the floor. This will keep constant tension on the triceps."

"Lower the bar to a spot above your head for a good stretch. Keep your elbows in tight; do not let them drift outward."

"Elbows are prone to tendinitis, so warm up with three sets of high-rep pushdowns before any heavy triceps movement."

TIP

"It's helpful to have a training partner mark the starting point with his hands so that you have a target to shoot for on the way up. Go a little bit lighter to get the form down. After you master it, you'll find that you still won't be able to use as much weight, but the tradeoff will be better triceps."

STRETCH

One arm behind head, elbow bent. With opposite arm, grab hand and pull down.

ALTERNATE EXERCISES

* Rope pushdowns

* Overhead cable extensions

* Machine dips

STRAIGHT-ARM PULLDOWNS

Lats are one of the few muscles that can be seen from both the front and back, and as such, require a lot of work to fully develop. "This movement," says Rambod, "is superior for isolating the lats, because there's little assistance from other muscle groups. Once again, the cable provides constant tension and you have a lot of variety with the use of different handles."

BEGINNING 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Lat pulldowns 3 8-12

Barbell rows 3 8-12

One-arm dumbbell rows 3 8-12

Machine pullovers 7 8-12

INTERMEDIATE 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Wide-grip chins 3 8-12

T-bar rows 3 8-12

Lat pulldowns 3 8-12

Hammer Strength isolateral rows 3 8-12

Standing straight-arm pulldowns 7 8-12

ADVANCED 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Wide-grip chins 3 8-12

Bent-over barbell rows 3 8-12

Lat pulldowns 3 8-12

One-arm dumbbell rows 3 8-12

Standing straight-arm pulldowns 3 8-12

Machine rows 7 8-12

"Keep your chest down in the start position to get a good stretch on the lats."

"At midpoint, arch your back and stick your chest out to make sure the lats are doing all the work."

"With the rope attachment, you can go back as far as possible for a great contraction."

TIP

"It's inevitable that you're gonna hit the triceps with this movement, but it's minimal with the rope handle as opposed to a bar. The correct plane of motion is to bring the handles down in an arch. Also, grip the ropes above the knots to avoid hand slippage."

STRETCH

Bend forward, torso at 45-degree angle from floor. Hold on to a post or upright with both hands, arms extended in front. Pull down and away by rotating hips.

ALTERNATE EXERCISES

* Hammer Strength rows

* Dumbbell pullovers

HACK SQUATS

Great quads are not only huge, separated and striated, they have outer flare to accentuate the X frame. Rambod prefers the hack squat: "Hacks are a compound movement, but they don't involve as many ancillary muscle groups as squats, so your concentration is locked on the outer quads."

BEGINNING 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Leg extensions 3 8-12

Squats 3 8-12

Leg presses 3 8-12

Leg extensions 7 8-12

INTERMEDIATE 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Leg extensions 3 8-12

Squats 3 8-12

Hack squats 3 8-12

Leg presses 7 8-12

ADVANCE 7S

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Leg extensions 3 8-12

Front squats 3 8-12

Walking lunges 3 8-12

Leg presses 3 8-12

Hack squats 7 8-12
    "Point your toes inward to hit the outer quads."

"Point your toes straight ahead to hit the overall quads."

"Point your toes outward to hit the inner quads."

"Descend until your legs form a 90-degree angle."

NOW AT FLEXONLINE

For more FST-7 training advice on rear delts, hams and calves, go to flexonline.com.

TIP

"Generally, I stick with a narrow foot stance, since quad sweep is a high priority for competitive athletes. A couple of other things to keep in mind are: a) push with your heels; b) don't cheat by using your hands to push off on the quads; and c) keep your hips on the sled."

STRETCH

Bend one leg at knee, foot near glutes. Grab near ankle and pull up.

ALTERNATE EXERCISES

* Leg extensions

* Leg presses flex

Doubt there are many people on here which would benefit any more doing this than something much simpler.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe if I was very near my genetic potential and trying to squeeze out that extra half an inch.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Spartan -

I am familiar with FST-7 but have never tried it (doesn't match with my goals).

Have you done FST-7 before? If so, how did you like it?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I've tried FST-7 in the past and i still combine some of it with other training methods. To be honest it isn't complex at all..I read it once and fully understood it and incorporated it. I do see that there are some weird guidelines in this explanation so maybe you should look it up on the internet. They explain it very well on bodybuilding.com (don't mean to advertise, but it's the truth). I liked to do it, but it wasn't much different from what i was already doing besides the last 7x12 set. That ***** kills you and the pump is great too.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    I've tried FST-7 in the past and i still combine some of it with other training methods. To be honest it isn't complex at all..I read it once and fully understood it and incorporated it. I do see that there are some weird guidelines in this explanation so maybe you should look it up on the internet. They explain it very well on bodybuilding.com (don't mean to advertise, but it's the truth). I liked to do it, but it wasn't much different from what i was already doing besides the last 7x12 set. That ***** kills you and the pump is great too.
    What is your height, weight, and bf %?

Just get under the bar!

hey guys, i have just started implementing the last bit the 7 sets of 10 to 12 and WOW, what a pump, what pain............ LOVE IT!!!!! I am going to do this for about 8 weeks and see what happens! So far, its a great twist and sets some crazy intensity!

Basically, i do my norm workout and then finish it with the 7 sets..... killer stuff!

I like the idea of 7 sets with the same weight, but I would only do this with squats. I feel that any other body part would need a lot more time to recover if you were pushing as hard as the article says to.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Bump
    23 years old
    5' 6"
    153 lbs

Bench: 315
    Deadlift: 400
    Squat: 425

I have heard good things about it on other bodybuilding boards and in magazines, but don't know much about it. I'll have a read of that long post above.