The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Stalled on Deadlift and Stiff-legged Deadlift

hey guys, I'm wondering what I should do about my deadlift plateaus. I've been stuck on my SLDL's for like 3 weeks, and deadlifts for 2 weeks.

I've been consistently gaining weight and getting 7-8 hours of sleep so it seems the only problem must be in the training. Would this be a situation where I should drop the weight and do more reps
    or
    just drop the weight and try to get the same reps as I did with the heavier weight, then end up stopping once I've got those reps. Help me out!

Thanks!
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Anyone o.O?

Edit: and I do 2x4-12 reps for SLDL and a 5x5 for regular deads
    Last edited by snikez; 10-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    Age 20-5'10

I would lower the weight, keep the reps the same, and build back up. That is assuming that you have your routine designed to benefit recovery, You mentioned doing both types of deadlifts?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I would lower the weight, keep the reps the same, and build back up. That is assuming that you have your routine designed to benefit recovery, You mentioned doing both types of deadlifts?
    Yes I do 2x4-12 SLDL's twice a week and one set of 5x5 Deads once a week. I don't really have a specific rep ending for in the SLDL's, so would I just stop on the same rep as last time (with lower weight of course). How much would I lower the weight for them? I SLDL 255 lbs for 7 and a half reps for the first set and do 247.5 lbs for 5 and 3/4 reps (almost 6). I deadlift 280 for 3 sets, 277.5 for 4th set, and 275 for 5th set (and lately for that one I've only been able to do 4 reps).
    Age 20-5'10

A form of deadlifts 3 times a week sounds an awful lot! OR will be able to shed more light for you..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Sounds to me like you are training to failure on several sets and several times a week. Sounds like too much to me.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Ok, would taking off 2 sets of SLDL's (I did 4 total for the week), solve the plateau problem then, for the deads and SLDL's? Or should I just lower the weight for all of them? and if so, how much do I lower it by?
    Last edited by snikez; 10-21-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Age 20-5'10

I don't know enough about your routine or your progress to make any kind of definite recomendations. But I can give general advice; drops sets are an advanced technique because they are very demanding. To do that several times a week on a muscle group like the lower back acn have you overworking in a short time. If somebody was going to work to failure, I'd limit it to one top set like in 5/3/1 or HCT or HIT. Even then, intensity is cycled to keep from overworking.

So, I'd go to one top set or sets accross. I'd also find a progression scheme, like linear (with reset cycles), waved, or double.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I don't know enough about your routine or your progress to make any kind of definite recomendations. But I can give general advice; drops sets are an advanced technique because they are very demanding. To do that several times a week on a muscle group like the lower back acn have you overworking in a short time. If somebody was going to work to failure, I'd limit it to one top set like in 5/3/1 or HCT or HIT. Even then, intensity is cycled to keep from overworking.

So, I'd go to one top set or sets accross. I'd also find a progression scheme, like linear (with reset cycles), waved, or double.
    Yeah but I don't do drop sets, I just rest 3 min before going again, and I just can't lift as much as on the first set. But do you think I'd be okay if I dropped the weight by 10 lbs and kept the same reps? I don't know what a waved or double progression scheme is...

Edit: sorry i got drop set confused with superset... and what is a top set?
    Last edited by snikez; 10-21-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Age 20-5'10

Ok so you think I should just do 1 set of the SLDL's twice a week with the regular 5x5 deads once a week?
    Age 20-5'10

Yes, one top set ( max effort for the day) or sets accross ( 3 sets of 5 for example). Most important is to have a plan and a progression scheme so you'll know what to do when you stall.
    Last edited by Off Road; 10-21-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yes, one top set ( max effort for the day) or sets accross ( 3 sets of 5 for example). Most important is to have a plan and a progression scheme so you'll know what to do when you stall.
    Ok then. Is there still a need for me to drop the weight and work my way back up(with the 2 sets total for the week), or do you think I'll be able to start improving again, now that my volume has gone down a little bit anyway?

And a deload for the regular 5x5 deadlifts seems necessary now, but how much weight do I take off?

Thanks for the help btw!
    Age 20-5'10

I'd drop about 20%, then build back up 5% every week. Maybe even 5% for three weeks and then microload for a few weeks back up to your old PR and beyond.

But that may not be necassary because you may spark some new momentum just by cutting out the intensity and not maxing out all the time. It's a game of trial and error.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Check out this article or write up. should really help you.
    http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-dea...ing-techniques