Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you do it?

Did you do it?

The year is almost over, did you meet the goals you set for yourself at the start of the year?

If you are close, you have a short time left, push hard and good luck.

If you fell short, why didn't you make it? What can you do differently in the coming year to increase your success? What changes will you make?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I started off the year by wanting to solidify all the Hardgainer goals. For those that aren't familiar with them, they are a 200 lb press, 300 lb bench, 400 lb squat, and a 500 lb deadlift. I din't want to just reach these goals, I wanted them solidifyed by getting a couple of reps each at those weights.

Military press...I got 200 for a rep and a halfish. I'm very close and should hit it by the end of the year.

Bench press...I got 300 for a rep and quit because it ent up crooked and taxed me. I will definitely have the 2 reps next time I test it.

Squat...I smoked this goal and got 4 reps.

Deadlift...I fell way short on the deadlift, only got 450 for a single. I am in the process of coming up with a new plan for this lift and hope to hit this goal next year.

As you can see, I hit three out of four goals, which is pretty good I guess. I definitely need a new plan for the deadlifts next year as that was a complete failure and I didn't gain any strength on that lift from the previous year. What a waste. It will be a focus next year.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Getting very close to my goal.

i made no goals, mainly because im perfect, but also because im lazy. actually jk, made one last week, i decided to get my deadlift up to 560 lbs before the year is over. We'll see lol. I got a guy at my gym who can deadlift 405 lbs and hes 185 so I told him I'd get up to 560 so we'd be pound for pound just as strong.
    Last edited by dynamo; 10-25-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

In January I knew I wanted to start weightlifting and bough the book "new rules of lifting" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. Good book. All I had at the time were adjustable dumbbells I had inherited. In March I convinced my wife to let me get a 300lb Olympic set.

By June I had lost 30lbs and my lifts were steady... not an ideal situation but I wanted the 30lbs gone as I'd gained a few the past few years. From a weight of 175 I started SS in July. I really didn't set any goals but right now my 3x5's are 300DL/255SQ/140BP which I am relatively pleased with especially when I think back to January when I was struggling with bodyweight lunges and collapsing on the floor after 2x10 set pushups... I'm now back to about 200lbs with some fat addition but a fair amount of newbie-gain muscle. I look much better than I did a year ago at 205. My hope through the end of the year is to finish out SS and then cut some in the spring, and from then on just work on slow, lean gains. I'm not aiming to be a bodybuilder or a competitive lifter so I don't have to bulk and cut to max out gains, I just want to be in good health and physical condition.

And thanks to the board you guys have been a good reference.

philip

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Deadlift...I fell way short on the deadlift, only got 450 for a single. I am in the process of coming up with a new plan for this lift and hope to hit this goal next year.
    Hey Off Road,
    My deadlift was stuck for about the last year and what finally got it moving was pulling from a deficit and banded rack pulls. I would do the pulls from a 6", 4", and 2" box in waves. I use monster mnis on the quad rack pulls.

Raw Elite classification in 3 weight classes

raw squat: 380 lbs
    raw bench: 270 lbs
    raw deadlift: 430 lbs
    raw total: 1,080 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    i made no goals, mainly because im perfect, but also because im lazy. actually jk, made one last week, i decided to get my deadlift up to 560 lbs before the year is over. We'll see lol. I got a guy at my gym who can deadlift 405 lbs and hes 185 so I told him I'd get up to 560 so we'd be pound for pound just as strong.
    65 pounds in 2 months (assuming your sig is still accurate) is no joke. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NUCadet97 View Post
    Hey Off Road,
    My deadlift was stuck for about the last year and what finally got it moving was pulling from a deficit and banded rack pulls. I would do the pulls from a 6", 4", and 2" box in waves. I use monster mnis on the quad rack pulls.
    Thanks for that. I plan to work on deadlifts from blocks or rack pulls, heavy stiff leg deadlifts, and heavy/low rep rack pullups and rows. My back seems to be the weak link off the floor.

I've experimented with deficit deads but always end up getting hurt from them.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Some yes, others no. They did change as the year progressed. Main ones accomplished were doing a pl meet and deadlifting 600 lbs in said meet. Squat suffered a bit when I decided to move down to 220 lbs and bench did greatly. Squat rebounded, but bench never did. Now hurt and have to start over, so new goals to set.

Just get under the bar!

For bodyweight I wanted to be a solid 185. I'd say I've accomplished that.

For bench press I wanted to put up 315. Completed.

For squat I wanted to put up 405. Completed.

Deadlift I wanted 500 completely raw, no belt, no straps. I maxed at 465, I should have one more test before the year is over. Hoping to get closer, although 500 seems like a pipe dream for this year.

Total was my grand picture goal and I wanted 1,200 pounds at 185. I'm about 5 pounds short. I will get it next testing.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I was reading this thread right before going to the gym, and it got me thinking about if I'd met my goals or not.

As it turns out, I smashed one of them today, and I'm pretty close to the other two!

After being super inconsistent for a while, my main goal was to get back in the gym, which I accomplished. After that, I wanted to get up to at least 1.5x bodyweight Squats and Dead for reps, and at least bodyweight on the Bench.

Squats: Currently hovering at 260lbs 3x5, so I think I could get 285lbs x5 on a good day. Should happen soon.
    Deadlifts: Pulled 285lbs x5 a few weeks ago, and now I really want to get 315 x1 before the end of the year.
    Bench: Smashed my goal and got 200lbs x1 at 185-190lbs, now I want 225lbs before the end of the school year.

All in all, doing better than I thought, especially after only being in the gym regularly for about 3 months or so now.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    65 pounds in 2 months (assuming your sig is still accurate) is no joke. Good luck!
    I don't think I'll get it but it is a good goal who knows where I'll end up. Better to have ludicrous goals, because if you achieve them you can just redefine what crazy really is.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I don't set short term goals for myself
    Last edited by berfles; 10-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

I am also chasing the 5/4/3/2 hard gainer goals... I had two lower back injuries in the late winter and spring which really put a damper on things.

However, I've lost 20lbs since march and have surpassed all my previous strength numbers from then (except my DL, which I am taking conservatively to protect my back.)

Started 5/3/1 yesterday and if I follow it for the year, I should hit 500DL/400Squat/300Bench/200Press smoothly. I hope to keep my BW under 200lbs (I am 5'7'')
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I'm pretty happy with how things are going. I'm about a million miles away from where I want to be, but I am on the right track.

This year was all about getting lean no matter what and then getting on the road to building myself up the right way (lean bulk, good form and being patient with weight increases).

I cut from 215 to 168 @ 12% and am now starting to make some good progress on getting stronger on the big lifts.

Plus, I have put a lot of effort into mobility and have pretty much staying injury free which was another big goal.

Right now the big goal is to just consistently get stronger, be consistent with a lean gain diet and then do a 12 week cut from May 1 through the end of July and stay lean for August. If I can get to 12% and weigh 175 that'd be roughly 7 lbs of lean muscle gain which would be very nice - watch this space
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

In one year's time I hit my goal of cutting from a super heavyweight at 328.5 down to the 242 class. Along the way I hit top ten benches in four weight classes. 605 raw at shw. 820 equipped at 308, 800 equipped at 275, and 730 equipped at 242. Also, this past weekend I hit a pr of 830 at 275.

I already have goals for next year. I want to hit a bench in the mid 800's equipped at 275 and I'd like to chase down a raw 600 at 275 as well.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

My goals for this year were to compete in a full meet and total 1500+ (Done this past weekend)
    Finally pull a PR deadlift (Done this past weekend)
    Drop my body weight from 230 into 198 territory (Done)
    Bench 500 in a meet (Missed it this year, not planning to compete again)

Goals for next year are to Total 1700+ with at least a 650 squat, 525 bench and 550 Deadlift at 198.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Well i started in May so it is not a full year,

However I had 3 Goals for Christmas

Weight 168LBS, will make that within two weeks, start =140LBS

Bench 198LBS, Probably will not make this target but we will see, start=121LBS

Squat 300LBS, I WILL be making this come hell or high water, start=154LBS

Deadlift 264LBS, should make this as well... Start=165LBS

So looks as if i will make all my goals apart from the bench, oh well would rather squat anyway

It is my first year of lifting seriously so I did not know what to expect and had to swap gyms 3 times so just settled now really. I feel good about my gains but i do not know if these are good or not really feels good to me
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

ASC Pro Strongman Ryan Bracewell's Avatar
    I got my primary goal of the year which was earning my pro card in strongman, but due to nagging injuries and some laziness I have not hit many of my smaller goals.

I have sense refocused and already have several new goals set for short and long term, one of which is to hit a 800 beltless deadlift.
    Last edited by Ryan Bracewell; 10-26-2010 at 12:18 PM.

I paid off an $18,000 loan ($21,000 with interest) by August and gained back 12 lbs. in 2 months. I'm stronger than I was back in January but not as strong was I was 3 years ago. I'd say I'm doing well so far.

Goals for me next year -- 185ish by May. Easily doable, especially since I love to eat.
    Bench -- 90
    Squat -- 135 (?)
    Deadlift -- 225 (?)

Bench has always been pathetic but that's no surprise.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

House Lannister
    In late August, I set goals for myself that by January 15 I would have:

300lb squat

400 lb deadlift

250 pound bench

BW of 180-185

Right now, my lifts on 5x5 are

Squat 245x3
    Estimated 267-270 squat atg squat

Deadlift 320x5
    Estimated 368 max

Bench is 225x4
    Estimated 252 max.

These estimated maxes are from the NSCA website, and I think they may be a little high.

Needless to say, I am pretty close to my goal. I have a few more months until I need to test out my maxes, but I'm pretty happy with my progress so far.

2 more months left, let's not coast into the New Year and have to make new resolutions. Let's take this time to realize our goals and soar past the New Year with our tails on fire
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Here here OR :-)

Also forgot the most important thing I achieved, I learnt to eat.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

2009 was a year of change for me. I dieted from 196 lbs down to 166 lbs (Won the Biggest Loser competition at work). The contest ended in March, after which I started 5/3/1.

March 2009
    Squat: 315
    Bench: 240
    Deadlift: 335
    Military Press: 160
    BW: 166 lbs

By January 2010 I had gained 17 lbs and added some poundages to all my lifts.

January 2010
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 385
    Bench: 260
    Military Press: 165

My goals for 2010 were:

2010 Goals
    Squat: 450
    Deadlift: 450
    Bench: 300
    Military Press: 200

Where I'm at now:

2010 Current Lifts
    Squat: 425 x 2
    Deadlift: 425
    Bench: 275
    Military Press: 185
    BW = 187 lbs

I had an emergency appendectomy at the end of July and lost some training time. I followed that up with a bout of whooping cough that is only now clearing up. However, last week I set some new PRs. I'm fairly confident of achieving all my goals with the exception of bench. 300 might be a bridge too far for 2010. If so, I'll nail it early in 2011.

I got back on the horse in March after being a lazy bum for the past two years. Starting lifts were pretty pathetic. Goals were to reach 220bw by the end of the year B - 200, S- 250, DL - 300. Long term goal is to get 1000lbs for the big 3.
    Start 6'3" 182lbs 30yrs old
    B - 150 x 6
    S - 145-155 x 6
    DL - 225 x 6

I finally bought a cage and was on Wannabebig 1 until July then switched to Madcow 5x5. I have finished one nine week rotation of it, and then I reset it and am currently in week 6. I totally surrendered to the idea of just sticking with a proven program with no modification and eating like a horse. Well, I can honestly say its worked for me!

Current as of this week:
    6'3" hovering right below 220 (217-218)
    B - 220 x 3
    S - 245 x 5
    DL - 320 x 5

Was thinking about a cut soon as bf% is higher than what I want, but at this point I'm having too much fun adding weight to the bar every week!! I think I'm just going to keep going.
    aut vincere aut mori