The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Shoulder/collar pains when benching..

Hey all. I've been experiencing some aching/soreness across my collar and in the front of my shoulders after I've benched the last two weeks, and am trying to figure out how to stop this while continuing to add weight to the bar. I've always had good form - shoulder blades and ass on the bench, lowering the weight slowly and touching my chest before going back upwards with a shoulder-width grip. Adding weight has been easy recently, and I've been working on an 8/6/4 rep pattern. I'm about 5'11" with a comparatively small frame (I was a skinny kid), weighing about 175-178 with a normal wingspan. The last two weeks I was able to accomplish 250lbs x 8, 275lbs x 6, and 300lbs x 4. However, like I said, I'm getting some annoying pain after that effects my shoulder workouts later in the week and is generally painful.

So, I'm wondering what I can do to stop this and still continue to progress. I'd like to try and 1RM 405lbs by the beginning of the summer (for no other reason than a personal goal), and would hate to limit myself because of these pains, but I don't want to risk any sort of damage. I talked to a friend of mine who has worked with that sort of weight and he suggested stopping the descent when my arms reached a 90 degree angle, instead of touching the chest - but this always seemed like such a cop-out to me. However, if this is the only way around it, I'll oblige, I was just wondering what anyone might of thought could be the problem. Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

could maybe be a rotary cuff injury??

Do you get the pains from anything else? Weighted dips? Incline bench? Push ups?

I was getting a lot of shoulder pain (top of my shoulder) from push ups and dips... but when I stopped doing weighted pushups the pain from dips went away.

You could always take a week or two off benching and work on other exercises and see if it's just something you're aggravating and need to let heal for a little while.

Wannabebig Member
    ever break ur collar bone? got a buddy who cant bench cause hes broken his collar bone like 5 times on the left side (super bad luck)

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UTstudent1812 View Post
    Hey all. I've been experiencing some aching/soreness across my collar and in the front of my shoulders after I've benched the last two weeks, and am trying to figure out how to stop this while continuing to add weight to the bar. I've always had good form - shoulder blades and ass on the bench, lowering the weight slowly and touching my chest before going back upwards with a shoulder-width grip. Adding weight has been easy recently, and I've been working on an 8/6/4 rep pattern. I'm about 5'11" with a comparatively small frame (I was a skinny kid), weighing about 175-178 with a normal wingspan. The last two weeks I was able to accomplish 250lbs x 8, 275lbs x 6, and 300lbs x 4. However, like I said, I'm getting some annoying pain after that effects my shoulder workouts later in the week and is generally painful.

So, I'm wondering what I can do to stop this and still continue to progress. I'd like to try and 1RM 405lbs by the beginning of the summer (for no other reason than a personal goal), and would hate to limit myself because of these pains, but I don't want to risk any sort of damage. I talked to a friend of mine who has worked with that sort of weight and he suggested stopping the descent when my arms reached a 90 degree angle, instead of touching the chest - but this always seemed like such a cop-out to me. However, if this is the only way around it, I'll oblige, I was just wondering what anyone might of thought could be the problem. Thanks!
    Don't go down all the way to your chest. When you go all the way down, that adds a tremendous amount of stress on your shoulder joint. You can get just as much benefit from not lowering the bar all the way down.
    Last edited by DaveV; 10-01-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    No R cuff injuries (that I know about), never broken anything upper body. Just a strange pain the last 3 weeks, that's it - never had a problem with bench before and have been doing it consistently for years. I tried going down until my elbows were parallel this past week, and I had drastically less pain - still a little, but not enough to hinder a shoulder day. Still though, I've always felt that not touching your chest is the easy way out - there has to be a way to get around that and still go all the way down. It's annoying to think that other people can bench 300+ and touch their chest when they're my size, but I can't? However, if the only way around it is to not touch, I'm in. As of now, I'm gonna skip chest next week and then start a deload and see if I can't work back up to it.

I've had some shoulder problems in the past with incline benching, i would get some strange sort of pain that i can't really describe..it would go away a bit if i stretched, but when i unrack the bar it would be right back..

I've asked around a bit and some guys said it could have something to do with my shoulder development..so i started to focus more on my rear and side delt training, strength wise and after a week or two, not only was the pain gone, but my incline and flat bench had gone up quite a few pounds..

so...just putting in my two cents..
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

If it hurts, stop doing it for a week or 2 and then see how you feel. Many people have trouble doing the bench press because of shoulder pains.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    If it hurts, stop doing it for a week or 2 and then see how you feel. Many people have trouble doing the bench press because of shoulder pains.
    Do this for now. In the meantime, start stretching the pecs, lats, and shoulders daily. The scenario you describe is not uncommon for those adding strength to the BP and letting the internal rotators get tight. Also make sure you are doing plenty of work for the rear delts and the rest of the upper back. This will help keep your musculature balanced across the shoulder joint. Also make sure you aren't flaring your elbows too much or touching too high as this can put stress on the shoulders as well.

Do you do a lot of weighted dips? That used to irritate my colar bone big time, then it would start hurting when i benched.

I stopped dipping and switched to incline benching for a while, it fixed it.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Wannabebig New Member
    No heavy dips really, just some dip machine work at heavy weights. I keep upright when I do these.

I took a week off of chest/shoulders, then I did light work the next week (didn't go over 225). This week, I kept my form and went back to my normal workout, doing some work at 250 and finishing at 275 for some reps -> no shoulder pain. I'm gonna take this time to go ahead and do a deload on my chest lifts and work back up for safety. Should I assume it's over?