Thread: Strongman/ powerlifting routine

Strongman/ powerlifting routine

Hi all.
    I have pretty much everything I need for lifting weights.
    I do strongman lifting and seem to be doing well with it.
    I looked at some routines on the net for strong man and came up with the routine below.
    I figured I would train normally with the addition of westside speed principals.

If it looks like too much I have done sheiko training with great results. I reckon I have good recovery ability. I get to sleep and long as I want and eat 300G protein a day. Don't have to work either.

So how does it look?

Monday
    Deadflifts 5 heavy singles
    Squat 3x5
    Glute ham raise 3x5
    Reverse hyper 3x5

Tuesday
    Bench 3x5
    Dips 3x5
    Chins 3x5
    Rows 3x5

Thursday
    DE squat/deadlift
    Squat 10x2 50%, deadlift 6 singles 60%
    Glute ham raise 3x5
    Reverse hyper 3x5

Friday DE Bench
    Speed bench 8x3 60%
    Dumbbell press 3x5
    Chins 3x5
    Rows 3x5

Saturday.
    Strongman events day
    Log press 3x5
    Farmers walk 2 walks 50 metres
    Yolk carry 2 walks 50 metres
    5 atlas stone lifts
    Last edited by patricky; 10-25-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

ASC Pro Strongman Ryan Bracewell's Avatar
    Everyone is different but in my experience, and the experience of several pros I am friends with, this looks like too much.....atleast long term. It appears that you are trying to run a westside style training with strongman on weekends but I find this is too hard on the nervous system and joints. I find that 2 or maybe 3 days in the gym with one day of true events works best for me. The system I have run for the past 2 years is basically like this.

Tues - ME lower: Deadlift heavy, squat light(or vise versa), accessories

Thursday - ME Upper: pick any exercise for ME plus accessory. If I have a max event coming up in contest I will be sure to rotate that in on ME upper day

Saturday - Events: mostly lower body stuff like yoke, farmers, stones, etc. pick 2-4 events depending on how heavy I am gonig.

Sunday - DE upper: typically this will be with event type exercises like log for reps or DB for reps, but if I do not have a strongman contest coming up it will be a standard style westside DE upper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bracewell View Post
    Everyone is different but in my experience, and the experience of several pros I am friends with, this looks like too much.....atleast long term. It appears that you are trying to run a westside style training with strongman on weekends but I find this is too hard on the nervous system and joints. I find that 2 or maybe 3 days in the gym with one day of true events works best for me. The system I have run for the past 2 years is basically like this.

Tues - ME lower: Deadlift heavy, squat light(or vise versa), accessories

Thursday - ME Upper: pick any exercise for ME plus accessory. If I have a max event coming up in contest I will be sure to rotate that in on ME upper day

Saturday - Events: mostly lower body stuff like yoke, farmers, stones, etc. pick 2-4 events depending on how heavy I am gonig.

Sunday - DE upper: typically this will be with event type exercises like log for reps or DB for reps, but if I do not have a strongman contest coming up it will be a standard style westside DE upper.
    Yeah maybe you're right and it is too much.
    I'll go with your way of doing it and see how it works out.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Patricky -

The routine that you posted looks like a powerlifting routine that someone added a strongman day to, and as Ryan said it probably will not be very effective.

Here is an article that I wrote with a couple of example training templates:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effe...an_routine.php
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Thanks tom.
    I'll follow the strong focused routine.

Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    Thanks tom.
    I'll follow the strong focused routine.
    Sounds good.

Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with (putting together event training workouts, customizing the routine, etc.).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com