Thread: Starting to compete...

Wannabebig New Member

Starting to compete...

Hi guys. I'm 17, have been training in powerlifting for just over 6 months now, and I'm going to start competing next year around march. I haven't ever competed, and have been training completely RAW. I'd like to get some gear to compete with in the IPF, but I have absolutely no idea what type of gear is best, so I was hoping I could get a little help. Right now I'm only looking for a Bench shirt + Squat suit, but having a squat suit that works with deadlift would be awesome.
    With bench, I have a moderate Arch, and I keep my elbows tucked.
    Squat, I have a medium-wide squat stance, and with Deadlift, although I pull more with conventional style, I'm much more comfortable doing sumo and would like to train with sumo deadlift.
    Help would be greatly appreciated!

IMO, the best decision would be to find a local PL gym nearby and commit. Gear is no good without the right training partners that can show you first hand how to operate it. My dumb-ass tried learning a loose fit bench shirt on my own and I didn't know wtf I was doing. I wasted 6 months of training and never ended up competing in it. It would be a good idea to build a solid raw base before getting into equipment.

Wannabebig New Member
    I already have a strong enough base I feel. Unfortunately, there are no PL gyms in my city (closest one is about 2 hours away), but when I start competing next year in March, I will be training with the powerlifting team at the university where I'll be studying. Do you think I should just train RAW until then? Or is there some kind of basic, easy to use gear which will help me for the next 5 months.

No training partners means training in gear is out. Especially for a beginner

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Train raw for now. It will only continue to improve your base.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks a lot guys!
    Also, what kind of deadlift stance should I use? I understand that deadlift stance should be dictated by body type... I'm 6 feet tall, have about 20% body fat and weigh around 210 pounds. Should I stick with conventional, or go sumo?

If you really want to get better and train in gear, and the closest PL gym is 2 hours away, I suggest you travel the 2 hours, at least once a week.

Also, I don't know who decided that raw had to be typed in all caps. Like it's somehow the most important word ever.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    If you really want to get better and train in gear, and the closest PL gym is 2 hours away, I suggest you travel the 2 hours, at least once a week.

Also, I don't know who decided that raw had to be typed in all caps. Like it's somehow the most important word ever.
    I agree. Drive two hours to learn. I can promise you if you train in a shirt alone you will get hurt.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS