The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Mendy benches 1091 off 1 board.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Thats clearly a retartedly huge bench. Im just so surprised how I see all the really big benches only board press and never touch their chest and then bomb when they go to a meet. I know they know more about benching than me but I just cant understand. I know if your concerned about stretching the shirt or something you wouldnt wanna touch more than you needed to, but Im sure these guys can afford to get a meet only type shirt. Also boards could be used to overload the top some, but come on when your can bench over 1000 full range you dont really need to overload the top I'd think. Id honestly be more impressed with these guys if they touched and actually locked out 900+ for a triple or something than hit 1000+ off a board and then bomb when it actually matters.

Regardless Kennelly and Mendelson are awesome and I hope both of them put together a good meet soon.

Not hating and if someone can enlighten me I'd like to understand so I can be a better bencher too.

That was crazy fast!
    best single ply meet lifts 850-670-685 best total 2170
    Multiply meet lifts 1003-700-677-2380

Kingns they are not trying to impress you.

That is a massive show of strength!!

Looking out for a new bench record this year.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Also remember that is one video of one lift, his training will involve more than just shirted 1 boards.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Kingns they are not trying to impress you.

That is a massive show of strength!!

Looking out for a new bench record this year.
    For sure.
    Both Ryan and Scot, seem to have something BIG, in mind.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Moved really fast....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by kingns View Post
    Thats clearly a retartedly huge bench. Im just so surprised how I see all the really big benches only board press and never touch their chest and then bomb when they go to a meet. I know they know more about benching than me but I just cant understand. I know if your concerned about stretching the shirt or something you wouldnt wanna touch more than you needed to, but Im sure these guys can afford to get a meet only type shirt. Also boards could be used to overload the top some, but come on when your can bench over 1000 full range you dont really need to overload the top I'd think. Id honestly be more impressed with these guys if they touched and actually locked out 900+ for a triple or something than hit 1000+ off a board and then bomb when it actually matters.

Regardless Kennelly and Mendelson are awesome and I hope both of them put together a good meet soon.

Not hating and if someone can enlighten me I'd like to understand so I can be a better bencher too.
    the purpose of board presses is to work a specific spot during the press...say your sticking point is 4 inches off your chest, you could bench to a 3 board and WORK that spot. The purpose isn't to "not" stretch the shirt out. Board presses allow you to handle more weight for the prescribed area without having to worry about getting buried under 1000lbs. And yes, it can and is used for overload of the top area of a press.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Lattimer wrote an article over at critical bench, if you're interested. http://www.criticalbench.com/board-press.htm
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Soilwork addict.
    Doesnt this guy have a really high squat as well? He is pretty much one of the strongest people to have walked the face of the earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

I wasn't trying to say im not impressed, nor was I saying I think they care. But after reading vinnys article about triples, reading louie's articles, the metal militia stuff and just seeing peoples results. I don't understand why so many people neglect to do full range reps in training. Its not about using boards because I understand that, its about neglecting to touch in training. Look at the people who touch in training and those that dont, and how often they have successful meets. Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by cic View Post
    For sure.
    Both Ryan and Scot, seem to have something BIG, in mind.
    isn't ryan facing possible jail/prison time soon?

I wasn't trying to say im not impressed, nor was I saying I think they care. But after reading vinnys article about triples, reading louie's articles, the metal militia stuff and just seeing peoples results. I don't understand why so many people neglect to do full range reps in training. Its not about using boards because I understand that, its about neglecting to touch in training. Look at the people who touch in training and those that dont, and how often they have successful meets. Thats all.
    I'm not sure if we're on the same page...are you under the impression that all certain people do are board press? All of the guys you listed board press. Board presses are just another part of the puzzle to a complete bench press. Post names of people who board press, and have failed in a meet because of it. There's a whole other side to this, there are tons of people pressing over 600lbs RAW that say you're neglecting your training by not using board presses. People don't JUST board press...
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I'm not sure if we're on the same page...are you under the impression that all certain people do are board press? All of the guys you listed board press. Board presses are just another part of the puzzle to a complete bench press. Post names of people who board press, and have failed in a meet because of it. There's a whole other side to this, there are tons of people pressing over 600lbs RAW that say you're neglecting your training by not using board presses. People don't JUST board press...
    There are tons of people pressing 600 raw? I didn't realize it was such an insignificant accomplishment. With the exception of Ryan, I find that most guys who rely heavily on boards bomb out more frequently. I am not a fan of lifting that promotes catching lightning in a bottle. I think it has hurt our sport tremendously. JMHO.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    There are tons of people pressing 600 raw? I didn't realize it was such an insignificant accomplishment. With the exception of Ryan, I find that most guys who rely heavily on boards bomb out more frequently. I am not a fan of lifting that promotes catching lightning in a bottle. I think it has hurt our sport tremendously. JMHO.
    the ratio of people benching 600 raw who have used boards at one time or another is what I meant as tons, the term is used as loosely as the whore on the corner. With all the respect I've got for you and anyone who presses 600 raw, there's no way it was meant to make it sound insignificant in the least form. I honestly feel that kingns believes people only board press during their workouts, instead of using them as a tool, a supplemental lift. Vinny, does a 1000lb press off of 1 boards not impress you? Does it in no way shape form or fashion help the lifter in the process? I could see someone relying on board pressing every session, and not doing ANY touch work at all non beneficial to their game, but someone using them wisely, as a supplement, as stated, I feel it would help them. I am however, not well versed in this arena, and will bow to your opinion and you've got eons beyond me. I simply wasn't under the impression that using board presses occassionaly to work a spot on your bench would raise the ratio of failures on the platform.
    Last edited by Mark!; 05-29-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I was trying to say what vincent was saying. And board presses raw are totally different IMO and obviously dont effect how well you can touch. The problem is people not touching, or not touching OFTEN with a shirt in training then finding they cant touch when they go to a meet. Louie simmons wrote stuff about this, where a lifter will board press say 800 in the gym and miss 750 at the top in a meet. I'm no master bencher but was trying to bring up what Ive heard more experienced people reference, and just thought it was interesting to bring up. Especially after seeing both of these huge benchers hit well over a thousand easily off boards but knowing they they haven't hit a big shirted bench for a little while now. (I have nothing but respect for both of em though)

Not trying to stir up anything here. But as someone trying to get better at shirted benching, listening to vincent's advice of triples trying to touch, rather than just working off of board MOSTLY, not entirely, just makes more sense.

And to be clear, I don't think board presses are bad, I use them currently and plan to use MORE of them, but after working up in weight and touching my chest. But I do look at lots of peoples logs and am just surprised how rarely I see full range reps in their shirt. And am equally surprised how often a big name bencher, who clearly knows what theyre doing, bombs at a meet.

Mark, we are cool. I just got my panties in a bunch, sorry. Yes, I use boards. However, more raw than shirted. I personally think boards with the shirt nowadays are more effective for breaking in a shirt and for warming up. Of course, this is just my opinion and I certainly understand there are acceptions to the rule.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

And to be clear, I don't think board presses are bad, I use them currently and plan to use MORE of them, but after working up in weight and touching my chest. But I do look at lots of peoples logs and am just surprised how rarely I see full range reps in their shirt. And am equally surprised how often a big name bencher, who clearly knows what theyre doing, bombs at a meet.
    A large reason the big benchers are missing is because they want to open with a big lift and dont care about hitting 90% of their best. I think scott mendelson could most likely go in and bench 900-950 just about every single meet he enters, but that kind of lift is going to mean nothing to him (obviously its still a bench 99.999% of powerlifters can only dream of, so its very impressive).

I am not a good bencher so I wont say to much on the boards and no boards thing. What I like is using boards far from a meet and then rarely using them around 6-8 weeks out. Even with this I end up doing alot of presses with no boards where the weight does not quite touch but meet day I never have a problem touching.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    A large reason the big benchers are missing is because they want to open with a big lift and dont care about hitting 90% of their best. I think scott mendelson could most likely go in and bench 900-950 just about every single meet he enters, but that kind of lift is going to mean nothing to him (obviously its still a bench 99.999% of powerlifters can only dream of, so its very impressive).

I am not a good bencher so I wont say to much on the boards and no boards thing. What I like is using boards far from a meet and then rarely using them around 6-8 weeks out. Even with this I end up doing alot of presses with no boards where the weight does not quite touch but meet day I never have a problem touching.
    Just curious, Vin this is for you too since you're a bench only guy, is the reason why you'd open with a huge bench is so you're not exhausted and can just get the big numbers out of the way first?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Question: If Mendy ever hits a 1020-1100lb bench will people be worried about him using boards too much?

No they won't....Selk hit the nail on the head these guys want HUGE numbers and that is exciting.......I personally don't care if he bombs 6 times then hits a new world record.

I bet he touches in training more than some guys out there.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Some of these guys also open with huge numbers because their shirts are so jacked they can't touch with anything less. Then the margin for error is so little with the weight, it pretty much has to be perfect to make the lift.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Great point Joey!
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Some of these guys also open with huge numbers because their shirts are so jacked they can't touch with anything less. Then the margin for error is so little with the weight, it pretty much has to be perfect to make the lift.
    BINGO! When I got into the sport you'd be ashamed to bomb, now it's common place. Now guys wear outrageous shirts and chase numbers, it's not about competing. It's no wonder we can't get promote our brand of lifting. Nobody cares about powerlifting equipment except powerlifters. The problem is when the public sees more than half the guys at a big meet can't even touch the weight--there's a problem.

Look at Ryan, I think he did a meet last fall/winter and hit a 900. Sure it's less than he's done before, but it's a truckload more than most can do. I bet the crowd loved it It sure had to look better than 3 missed attempts at 1100.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Just curious, Vin this is for you too since you're a bench only guy, is the reason why you'd open with a huge bench is so you're not exhausted and can just get the big numbers out of the way first?
    I still have to warm up to lift a heavy weight on the platform, so I consider my first attempt a warmup on the platform. When I'm going for 600 raw, I'll hit something in the 500's for an opener. The same goes for my equipped benching. There are two reason for this, I have been terribly ashamed the few times I have bombed. More importantly, I like the judges to see what I am capable of. When I smash an opener, they are not up my ass for my following attempts because it's clear I know what I am doing. Most judges will tell you this is true.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-30-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Mendelson has hit 1025 and 1031 (technically, being that he got white lights)

Mendelson has proved in the past that whatever hes doing in training causes him to bomb the majority of the time. Common sense would tell you he might need to change something. Just my 2 cents.

I do boards in the shirt every so often just because I can put heavy weight in my hands and it helps me practice my technique with a progressively larger range of motion. Couple weeks ago I nailed an easy 860 off boards. Does that mean I'm going to bench 860 at my next meet? Nope. Doesn't mean anything special at all. It is what it is , just a bench off boards.

I touch almost every time I get in my shirt and it's made a big difference.

As far as the correlation between raw strength and boards, Vincent nailed it when he touched on the proportion of the time. When boards end up taking up the majority of your program, a lot of people have found out that they are able to press far less weight off their chest than they are off boards, or sometimes never even get to the range where all their board strength is able to kick in.

I think it's all about using a little common sense and not becomming to lop sided in your training. Same could be said for never using boards and always doing something full range.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    He hit a 1126lb last night with no board, couldn't touch though -- approx a 1 1/2board height