The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

What is your upper body routine?

I have been training my entire upper body for one hour about three times a week. I am posting this thread because I am considering breaking it up a little bit, meaning perhaps training more days, but using less time, and focusing on particular muscle groups on different days. Do you guys break it up by muscle group, and, if so, how?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Saturday:
    bench
    pull up
    oh press
    horizontal row

You can substitute the lift above for a variation of the lift, it's just a simple vertical/horizontal push/pull. You can do volume, you can do low reps, just stick with one exercise in that plane of motion.

Sunday:
    squat/deadlift
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Ive gotten pretty good results from a push / pull split. Wednesday is my pulling day saturday or sunday (depends on how much homework i have) is my pushing day. I work hard for around an hour for each workout.
    Stats

Starting weight - 170-175
    Starting height - 6 foot 2.5

Current weight - 200 - 205
    Current height - 6 foot 3

Months lifting - 13

Don't neglect your legs, or you'll end up like "Carrot Top" ~ comedian who has built a nice upper body, but still has "toothpick legs."

This has worked wonders for me. It's an every other day routine, so you lift 3 times every 6 days.... for awhile in the summer I was doing bodyweight complexes on the off days, but canned that about a month ago.

Workout A:
    Main Lift: Bench
    Accessory: Overhead Press (standing), Bicep Curls, Shrugs for Traps

Rest Day

Workout B:
    Main Lift: Dead Lift
    Accessory: Cable Rows, Tricep Extensions (w/ cable) , Abs

Rest Day

Workout C:
    Main Lift: Squats
    Accessory: Straight Leg Dead Lifts, Calf Raises, HIIT Cardio

Rest Day

Repeat
    Last edited by Iplan; 10-31-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrypticAce522 View Post
    I have been training my entire upper body for one hour about three times a week. I am posting this thread because I am considering breaking it up a little bit, meaning perhaps training more days, but using less time, and focusing on particular muscle groups on different days. Do you guys break it up by muscle group, and, if so, how?
    If you wanted to do a three day upper body split I would go with something like this:

Monday: Chest / Abs
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Back / Biceps
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Shoulders / Triceps

You could also do something like this:

Monday: Chest / Back
    Wednesday: Shoulders / Abs
    Friday: Biceps / Triceps

Is there any particular reason why you do not train your lower body? Do you have an injury?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Ive had the best results by getting more rest actually. Strength wise and size wise. One day for pressing/vertical pulling and one day for benching/horizontal pulling per week.

Like others have mentioned, if you are not training your hips and legs, you'd better start if you want to see the full benefits of your upper body training. Simply doing squats will make your upper body training more effective, far more effective than playing with splits and frequency.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Like others have mentioned, if you are not training your hips and legs, you'd better start if you want to see the full benefits of your upper body training. Simply doing squats will make your upper body training more effective, far more effective than playing with splits and frequency.
    Deadlifts seem to carry over greatly to my other lifts...everything feels light after you are consistently pulling double (or even triple) your pressing weight off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Deadlifts seem to carry over greatly to my other lifts...everything feels light after you are consistently pulling double (or even triple) your pressing weight off the ground.
    I agree, the deadlift adds so much to a routine; it thickens the whole body, builds impressive strength, and makes other lifts seem lighter by comparison.

But, for some of these "upper body only" guys, simply adding a squat will increase their production by a large margin. It is probably easier to convince them to throw in a couple of sets of squats than it is to tell them to include squats, stiffies, and deadlifts. Keep it simple for them to include productive lifts and theyb will be more likely to try it for themselves. Once they see the progress they make by including squats, it won't be hard to convince them to try other big movements.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    Don't neglect your legs, or you'll end up like "Carrot Top" ~ comedian who has built a nice upper body, but still has "toothpick legs."

This has worked wonders for me. It's an every other day routine, so you lift 3 times every 6 days.... for awhile in the summer I was doing bodyweight complexes on the off days, but canned that about a month ago.

Workout A:
    Main Lift: Bench
    Accessory: Overhead Press (standing), Bicep Curls, Shrugs for Traps

Rest Day

Workout B:
    Main Lift: Dead Lift
    Accessory: Cable Rows, Tricep Extensions (w/ cable) , Abs

Rest Day

Workout C:
    Main Lift: Squats
    Accessory: Straight Leg Dead Lifts, Calf Raises, HIIT Cardio

Rest Day

Repeat
    Wouldn't want that ever! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    If you wanted to do a three day upper body split I would go with something like this:

Monday: Chest / Abs
    Wednesday: Back / Biceps
    Friday: Shoulders / Triceps

You could also do something like this:

Monday: Chest / Back
    Wednesday: Shoulders / Abs
    Friday: Biceps / Triceps

Is there any particular reason why you do not train your lower body? Do you have an injury?
    I am a soccer player and I stretch for about 10 minutes every day for flexibility. I started doing dumbbell squats, calf raises, hamstring curls, and leg extensions, because I can do those all at home, but I planned to just stretch every day and work on calves for legs. Once I get my upper body more developed, I will probably do legs a lot more often, but I am focusing on upper body for now.

I have a question about dumbbell squats (held down by the side) if any of you can answer. I do these at home by myself, but my problem is they are too easy with too light a weight, but when I do it, with say 55's, it is a little heavy on my arms, and it is hard to get all of the tension focused on the legs. Do you guys have any experience with this?

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrypticAce522 View Post
    I am a soccer player and I stretch for about 10 minutes every day for flexibility. I started doing dumbbell squats, calf raises, hamstring curls, and leg extensions, because I can do those all at home, but I planned to just stretch every day and work on calves for legs. Once I get my upper body more developed, I will probably do legs a lot more often, but I am focusing on upper body for now.

I have a question about dumbbell squats (held down by the side) if any of you can answer. I do these at home by myself, but my problem is they are too easy with too light a weight, but when I do it, with say 55's, it is a little heavy on my arms, and it is hard to get all of the tension focused on the legs. Do you guys have any experience with this?
    If you are having trouble holding the weights but your leg muscles are not tired you may want to get some lifting straps - this will enable you to focus more on the muscle group that you are trying to train. Also, it sounds like you may be doing dumbbell deadlifts rather than squats if you are holding the weights at your sides.

For other exercises that you can do at home with limited equipment you might want to try the following:

- Walking lunges (dumbbells)
    - Weighted step-up's (dumbbells)
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift (dumbbell or barbell)
    - Clean and Front Squat (barbell)
    - Plyometrics or Sprints
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 11-01-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Nice list Tom.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Mon: SOHPress 531, Dipsx75, Pull Upsx50. Tri-set of: JM Press, lat pull downs and lateral raises 3x15
    Tues: DL 531 + mixed lower body accessory, abs
    weds: jumping/plyometric work, light energy conditioning and stretching
    Thurs: Bench 531, Incline Bench 5x10, Kroc Rows. Tri-set of Chest supported rows, tiger push ups and front raises 3x15
    Fri: Squat 531t + mixed lower accesory work, abs
    Saturday: Tricep and Bicep supersets til 100 reps each.
    Sunday: off
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 11-01-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."