Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Finisher" Set

Quote Originally Posted by justaddweight View Post
    OR, volume works well for many of my mates (the ones on "assistance") but never did anything for me or my training partner. In a few days, my next workout will be deadlift (20 reps, do or die) and bench (8 ish reps till positive failure). Simple, brutal, effective. You would love the classic iron man articles. The pre-roid era writing is filled with wisdom.
    I've read a ton of the old Rader stuff, Macallum stuff, Liestner stuff, etc...

I've worked out that way for most of the time, I really enjoy it. Get in, hammer a couple of good exercises, get out and rest. I've only recently started to increase my work capacity and increase the volume of my workouts. It's an experiment, I can't say if it's good or bad until I try it for myself. But past experiences have shown me that abreviated training is best, so we'll see first hand...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would add in the 'finisher' for all of your workouts unless you already have a good amount of volume/intensity and feel that it would be counterproductive.

Since you are already doing a lot of benching I would probably go with incline dumbbells, bodyweight dips, or another exercise that will hit your chest/triceps from a different angle. Something like this could be effective:

Pressing 'Finisher' Complex:
    - Incline DB Bench (moderate weight for 10 reps)
    - BW Dips (10 reps)
    - Triceps Pushdown (light weight for 25 reps)

You could do two rounds of this complex with minimal rest and that should leave you feeling pumped/fatigued when you walk out of the gym.

It sounds somewhat similar to HIT training or DC Training except that you have a group of movements rather than body parts and do not have a set schedule.

What I am talking about with a 'finisher' is not just going to failure but going to failure and then stripping the weight and continuing your set or jumping on another machine/piece of equipment and pounding out a few more reps.

Are you doing drop sets / super sets or just 1-2 high intensity sets for each movement?

Wow, 52 reps... talk about lactic acid build-up.
    ya its pretty painful, do them to mimic the lactic acid buildup during a medley, get my mind used to it sort of thing.

I cant take take credit for this, i use it though and love it especially on a pressing day after i get all my heavy work done
    underhand chinups: do 8 reps and then rest for 8 breaths, 7 reps and rest for 7 breaths. do this all the way down to 1 rep rest 1 breath then try to go back up to 8 reps
    tricep pushdown: pick a heavy weight for you and do 1 rep, move pin up one do 2 reps, move up pin do 3 reps do this till 8 reps then try to go back down to the weight you started with an do 1 rep
    These two get your bi's and tri's pretty good
    another good bicep one is get a barbell or curl bar. you can only do this one if you have a training partner. you do 12 reps of bb curls, immediately following your 12 you hand the bar to your partner and they do 11, then they hand you the bar and you do 10, then they do 9 do this all the way down to 1 rep.

Quote Originally Posted by BoAnderson71 View Post
    I cant take take credit for this, i use it though and love it especially on a pressing day after i get all my heavy work done
    underhand chinups: do 8 reps and then rest for 8 breaths, 7 reps and rest for 7 breaths. do this all the way down to 1 rep rest 1 breath then try to go back up to 8 reps
    tricep pushdown: pick a heavy weight for you and do 1 rep, move pin up one do 2 reps, move up pin do 3 reps do this till 8 reps then try to go back down to the weight you started with an do 1 rep
    These two get your bi's and tri's pretty good
    another good bicep one is get a barbell or curl bar. you can only do this one if you have a training partner. you do 12 reps of bb curls, immediately following your 12 you hand the bar to your partner and they do 11, then they hand you the bar and you do 10, then they do 9 do this all the way down to 1 rep.
    "Buddy Curls" is a good one, you can even do it where you do five reps and your partner does five reps then just keep alternating back and forth.

There was a fitness challenge at a gym here where they had individuals perform (1) pull-up and (2) push-up's, then (2) pull-up's and (4) push-up's, (3) pull-up's and (6) push-up's, etc. until failure. I made it up to 7 pullups and then was gassed on the push-up's... apparently it is a workout that is done by some individuals who are training for military boot camp or the police academy.

I have always been a fan of just 'running the rack' - and I love to see the look on people's faces who walk up at the end when I am struggling and grunting to grind out a couple of reps with super light dumbbells. Can only imagine what they are thinking...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Yes, I think super high rep finisher sets (30-100) are very useful.

I like doing a finisher set of 50+ hex shrugs (shrugs holding hex dumbell ends) to build the traps and grip at the same time.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I have always been a fan of just 'running the rack' - and I love to see the look on people's faces who walk up at the end when I am struggling and grunting to grind out a couple of reps with super light dumbbells. Can only imagine what they are thinking...
    I laughed just thinking about this. They'd probably wait until you are gone, then grab the light weights and start grunting.

I have always been a fan of just 'running the rack' - and I love to see the look on people's faces who walk up at the end when I am struggling and grunting to grind out a couple of reps with super light dumbbells. Can only imagine what they are thinking...[/QUOTE]

i feel the same way when I do low cable pullthroughs, especially when there are women present, they probably think im trying to impress them or just practicing for the weekend, when really im just trying to strengthen the ever so popular posterior chain.