Thread: Stupid People Write Their Own Programs

Stupid People Write Their Own Programs

I recently read this on Nate's blog and I couldn't agree with it more.

I agree wholeheartedly with this mostly for 2 reasons:

1. If you follow a program designed by someone who knows their ****, it will probably always be better than what you can come up with on your own

2. You'll learn new things and you'll be forced to do things you'd probably stray from if you designed it yourself

Actually in respect to point 2, the main reason why most people want to change programs before starting them is to avoid the stuff they are not used to or feel uncomfortable doing.

Check out the blog post here - Stupid People Write Their Own Programs

Whats everyones thoughts?
    Last edited by Joe Black; 11-05-2010 at 03:11 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Totally agree. It pushes you outside your comfort zone.

I've been training at home, doing my own stuff for a while and yeah gotten a bit bigger, but didn't feel like I was working hard enough.

Did my first day of HCT-12 the other day and the next day was aching in places I didn't know I had, in a way I never have with my own stuff.

Can really feel the difference and knowing that it's been tailor made by someone who knows what they're doing really makes me want to stick at it.

The program I got at the private facility had reverse lunges in it and I gotta say I was so tempted to ask them to take them out. Had it not been for knowing it would be good to try them and also knowing that they would tell me to shut up, I would have lol.

Tough to get used to, but now I love them!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Great post Daniel, and it really hits home.

Recently I switched routines around a little. I tested my maxes the other day and realized that my deadlifts were not progressing. Back to the drawing board. I came to the conclusion that my power "off the floor" really sucks, so I switched to OLY squats instead of power squats. I didn't want to do it because I knew my squat numbers would take a big hit (ego). I may also switch to deficit deads, and those will also be weak and painful. But, it's probably what I'd tell other to do...

I think the post makes a great point, we tend to want to do stuff that we are good at, but may not be what we really need. I don't see a problem with switching exercises for things we know will work better, like dips for bench, but otherwise, don't F' with the routine
    Last edited by Off Road; 11-05-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I recently read this on Nate's blog and I couldn't agree with it more.

I agree wholeheartedly with this mostly for 2 reasons:

1. If you follow a program designed by someone who knows their ****, it will probably always be better than what you can come up with on your own

2. You'll learn new things and you'll be forced to do things you'd probably stray from if you designed it yourself

Actually in respect to point 2, the main reason why most people want to change programs before starting them is to avoid the stuff they are not used to or feel uncomfortable doing.

Check out the blog post here - Stupid People Write Their Own Programs

Whats everyones thoughts?
    My thought is that its extremely difficult to listen to anything this guy has to say.

Wannabebig New Member Jay Ashman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    My thought is that its extremely difficult to listen to anything this guy has to say.
    I tend to agree.

Those who have been in this long enough know what they are doing, if you are a noob, by all means you need to have some guidance. But if you are a multi-year vet of lifting and getting stronger and you still don't know what your weak parts are and aren't willing to do what is necessary to bring them up, maybe you shouldn't be lifting.

Good Point made. A lot of people don't know what actually goes into designing a program especially if it is individualized. Its has taken me many years to become really good at designing programs tailored to the indiviual and its still an ongoing process as I look for better and more efficient ways to get results. It also takes the guess work out of it if you have a "true coach/expert". It keeps you from pinballing and there is always an objective eye on you telling you what you need instead of what you want.

Proper programming should use The Training Model which consists of Effort, Training strategy, Workload Capacity, Recovery capacity, & Internal biochemical and hormonal feedback. Also it is harder to assess yourself than most realize as most of the time you are not objective when it comes to yourself and goals.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 11-05-2010 at 02:39 PM.

I disagree, actually. Although I disagree on a technicality. If stupid people write their own programs, than how did the program get written? There are people who are smart and well versed in the iron game that can put together a SOLID routine. I'm not one of them yet. But I think it's too large of a blanket statement.

I'd agree more if it was stated that "You're stupid if you don't have tons of experience in the field and write your own program"
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I disagree too, Louie simmons created his own program and he's strong. JIm wendler created his own program and he is strong. Ortmayer and magnusson created a deadlift program and their strong. Those are just some examples

All these programs you mention used tried and true methods. I believe they are referring here to just haphazzardly throwing exercises and bodyparts together and calling it a program.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by BoAnderson71 View Post
    I disagree too, Louie simmons created his own program and he's strong. JIm wendler created his own program and he is strong. Ortmayer and magnusson created a deadlift program and their strong. Those are just some examples
    These guys all had years and years of experience getting good results. The problem is that everyone who has been lifting longer than 5 minutes thinks that they know as much or more than these guys. If you look at everyone who writes their own program, these guys are in the extreme minority.

In fact, here's me writing my own training program:

"Front squats? No way. Core work? Nope. Foam rolling? Oh God, no. Conditioning? Ha! Curls? Now we're talkin'."
    Maybe if that is your attitude to lifting.

It's not so much about designing a program for yourself, it's more about avoiding things you know would be helpful but you don't do them because you hate them.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Great article. Some of you are taking the title a bit too literal.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I think if you have trained for many years then you might be able to write your own program. I used to work as a personal trainer and wrote plenty of programs for myself and others some good some not so good. It depends on what the person's goals are and their experience. I have been doing 5-3-1 for a while and now 3-5-1 at the current time and I have to say it is the best program I have ever done and I can do what I want for assitance work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    These guys all had years and years of experience getting good results. The problem is that everyone who has been lifting longer than 5 minutes thinks that they know as much or more than these guys. If you look at everyone who writes their own program, these guys are in the extreme minority.
    i guess i took it too literal when he said people.
    Last edited by BoAnderson71; 11-05-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    The program I got at the private facility had reverse lunges in it and I gotta say I was so tempted to ask them to take them out. Had it not been for knowing it would be good to try them and also knowing that they would tell me to shut up, I would have lol.

Tough to get used to, but now I love them!
    i had the same experience when i first joined this site. i could never really get into deads and squats, but with them being in almost (if not every) routine on here, plus reading so many articles and posts that really hammered their importance into my head, i just did them anyway. then one day when i was doing deadlifts something clicked (not literally, thankfully) and i really started to feel them. same with squats. now they are the cornerstone of my workouts.

so i completely agree that doing professionally made routines will open up new insight. but i do think that given enough experience with lifting and professional routines that one could get a good feel for designing their own program.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    I disagree, actually. Although I disagree on a technicality. If stupid people write their own programs, than how did the program get written? There are people who are smart and well versed in the iron game that can put together a SOLID routine. I'm not one of them yet. But I think it's too large of a blanket statement.

I'd agree more if it was stated that "You're stupid if you don't have tons of experience in the field and write your own program"
    Well, you're being a bit picky now

Here is a good example though. Shelby Starnes is a seasoned bodybuilding competitor, but he has hired someone else to lay out his training program.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Good Point made. A lot of people don't know what actually goes into designing a program especially if it is individualized. Its has taken me many years to become really good at designing programs tailored to the indiviual and its still an ongoing process as I look for better and more efficient ways to get results. It also takes the guess work out of it if you have a "true coach/expert". It keeps you from pinballing and there is always an objective eye on you telling you what you need instead of what you want.

Proper programming should use The Training Model which consists of Effort, Training strategy, Workload Capacity, Recovery capacity, & Internal biochemical and hormonal feedback. Also it is harder to assess yourself than most realize as most of the time you are not objective when it comes to yourself and goals.
    Your point about being objective is so true. Its the same with business too. I can work on a particular area of the business for ages and then someone who isn't even that familiar with the business looks in and comments on something and I feel so stupid for not being able to see it. Sometimes you need an external objective view on things.

As Tom said, i think a few people are perhaps taking this a bit too literally.

Some parts of the article (such as the headline and the section quoted) are obviously written a little sensationally as are most articles and as always there are a few exceptions to the point.

But, for the most part, 95% of people are better off using tried or tested programs or having someone design an indivudualised program for them.

Sometimes the pure fact that a program already written or one that is designed for you is most likely entirely different from what you would write is good from a motivational and doing something different point of view