Thread: Squat sticking point?

Squat sticking point?

This is a pretty normal sticking point for raw squats, right? Just need to keep getting stronger all over?

Thanks
    Bryan

Video

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    what sticking point?

you mean at the top where you slowed down a little?

Everyone is different. From training multi-ply, when I squat raw I am slower out of the hole but the top half is always fast.....
    If you miss a squat, is the top where you would miss it, or is the top just slow?
    Sticking point to me is where you'd miss a weight.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    what sticking point?

you mean at the top where you slowed down a little?

Everyone is different. From training multi-ply, when I squat raw I am slower out of the hole but the top half is always fast.....
    If you miss a squat, is the top where you would miss it, or is the top just slow?
    Sticking point to me is where you'd miss a weight.
    Thanks, yeah where I slow down at is where I miss at. Don't have video of misses though. It is more like the weight will cause me to collapse.

it could just be a weak upper back.... is it the upper back that collapses or the hips that can't finish the movement at the top?

it could just be a weak upper back.... is it the upper back that collapses or the hips that can't finish the movement at the top?
    hrmm, not totally sure but I do have lockout issues with deadlift with makes me think it could be upper back.

Does that sound right?

Sounds like your upper back may be the main issue. Work on building up you back strength and you will see some great improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Dank27 View Post
    Sounds like your upper back may be the main issue. Work on building up you back strength and you will see some great improvement
    definitely

thanks

On yoke walks I definitely feel that my upper back is limiting me as well, so time to really hammer the upper back. Any suggestions out there other than rows really?

high pulls on a pulley machine ( both high and low pulleys with a rope or strap)
    Deadlifts against bands
    Deadlifting in the rack from the knees up
    kettlebell swings or tosses
    safety squat bar work

high pulls on a pulley machine ( both high and low pulleys with a rope or strap)
    Deadlifts against bands
    Deadlifting in the rack from the knees up
    kettlebell swings or tosses
    safety squat bar work
    Thanks, moving back to Florida in mid-December, so I will finally have access to a SSB. Will add in the other things

Here's my input. You're very flexible apparently and can drop fast and bottom out in the hole and basically bounce out of it. Basically a stretchy single ply style suit technique with a raw squat, as in Brian Sider's earlier technique. You are pretty much slingshoting the weight up out of the hole through the weak point (where you struggle slightly at the mid transition point) and then into another strong point (locking the last part to completion). I don't think the weakness is upper back as much as lower back and quads. You're 'throwing' the weight through the point in the squat where they are involved most with the bounce / rebound style you're doing. A lot of good squatter have been successful with this style over the years (easpecially single ply guys). But, it can lead to some knee, quad and low back injuries easily as you go on up in weight. And at 405 raw you're approaching the kind of weight where counting on rebound and momentum can hurt you; especially raw. Bottom line is it may not lead to a long career. What I'd suggest is doing some box squats with the box set to stop you about an inch or so below parallel. Don't sit on the box or bounce off of it. Just go til you feel it and don't alter your squat motion. Just start up from that point. You'll be forcing the quads and low back to engage harder to squat the weight through that point and not be relaxed while it's thrown past that point. Eventually you'll be wanting to squat more weight than you can bounce like that anyway; so now would be a good time to be strengthening all the muscles involved to do so. Good luck!
    Last edited by mastermonster; 10-30-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Dr. Subtotal
    Your back angle starts to open up as you come up. Divebomb squats usually end up as a bastardized GM-Squat lovechild. Keep hitting the squats and work some heavy GMs and remember to keep those elbows down and your chest up. Might want to break more at the hip and not the knee (looks like youhave Oly shoes though).
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

For me quads and abs seem to affect my lockout
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Banned
    I think MasterMonster hit it on the head. You heave the weight through the weak point. Eventually, it will catch up to you and you'll injure yourself.

I'd just try to slow down your dcent just a little bit. Be more in control. Don't go as deep, either. This will lead to some low back issues, especially bending forward out of the hole. When the weights get really heavy, they will win and you'll face plant.

Get your whole body stronger and try to tighten up your form. Be conrolled. if that means slowing down, then do it.

Thanks everybody, btw I do not think all my squats look like this one. I guess I was really trying to make sure I sunk this one. Here is a set from a few weeks ago.

Video

edit: upon watching the video again, maybe they all do look like that one
    Last edited by barryisawinnah; 11-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.