The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

mixing up plan (I know you guys hate this lol)

Hey guys,

Been on the boards a couple years and i know you guys dont like people posting their workout plans but i want to explain where i was, am at, want to be....

Over past 4 yrs went from skinny hs runner, 6'1'' 155 lbs, to now 6'1'' 185 lbs lean. Was working out 4/week all 4 yrs of college. Tom M gave me a workout plan i've been using about a year. Mon based around deadlift, tues bench, thurs legs, fri shoulders/arms.

I recently moved about a month ago found a new gym (smalllll gym, small town). I have stopped deadlifting for the past 2 months and just done extra weighted and non weighted pull ups... I just want to take a break from them mentally (call me what you want lol)... but its just a decision i've made. And the gym is SO small it makes it very tough since they have no mat to let the weight fall on and very little room. Still room to squat though which i am doing...

I want to start running once a week as well and lift 3/week. My goals are to add maybe 5-10 lbs but verrryyy lean weight. maybe just 5 lbs if thats all that is do-able. I eat about 2000-2500 cals a day. I know that should be more... but i want to add lean weight like i said.

Also my post workout i have 2 scoops of whey, creatine, and usually some toast. Then 1.5-2 hrs after i will eat a big meal. I think i am not eating enough right after workout. But usually i am not real hungry, any idea why?

So i guess i would like those Q's answered if possible and also a good 3/day wk plan w a day of running (2-3 miles nothing crazy) in there. I have been doing same routine for past 11 months just want a good mix it up w exercises and reps (below is the workout briefly) All b/w Mon-Fri since wknds are always very busy w work... thanks much guys!!

Mon - weighted pull ups 4 sets, wide grip pull ups 4 reps, t bar rows 2 reps, row machine/pulldown superset 2 set, dbell rows 2 set
    Tues - bench 3 set, dbell bench 2 set, decline fly 1 set, incline hammer 2 set, cable fly 2 set
    thurs - squat 3 set, leg press 2 set, SLDL 2 set, quad/ham curl superset 2 set
    fri - shoulder raises 3 set, lateral raises 2 set, bbell curl 2 set, close grip 2 set, preacher/hammer super 2 set, pushdown 2 sets

Pete
    Last edited by PFM8241988; 10-27-2010 at 07:03 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    Hey guys,

Been on the boards a couple years and i know you guys dont like people posting their workout plans but i want to explain where i was, am at, want to be....

Over past 4 yrs went from skinny hs runner, 6'1'' 155 lbs, to now 6'1'' 185 lbs lean. Was working out 4/week all 4 yrs of college. Tom M gave me a workout plan i've been using about a year. Mon based around deadlift, tues bench, thurs legs, fri shoulders/arms.

I recently moved about a month ago found a new gym (smalllll gym, small town). I have stopped deadlifting for the past 2 months and just done extra weighted and non weighted pull ups... I just want to take a break from them mentally (call me what you want lol)... but its just a decision i've made. And the gym is SO small it makes it very tough since they have no mat to let the weight fall on and very little room. Still room to squat though which i am doing...

I want to start running once a week as well and lift 3/week. My goals are to add maybe 5-10 lbs but verrryyy lean weight. maybe just 5 lbs if thats all that is do-able. I eat about 2000-2500 cals a day. I know that should be more... but i want to add lean weight like i said.

[Even if you decide to only gain 5-10 lbs, you're still likely to gain some body fat with it. Gaining the weight more slowly does help, but you'll still put on some fat. That's life.

Also my post workout i have 2 scoops of whey, creatine, and usually some toast. Then 1.5-2 hrs after i will eat a big meal. I think i am not eating enough right after workout. But usually i am not real hungry, any idea why?

There are some biological reasons you aren't hungry, but in simple terms, some people just have hunger systems that shut down when they try to eat. You need to find ways around this. What has worked for me is to fast myself until lunch so I'm very hungry. At this point, I will go with a really calorie dense food like something from McDonalds. The increased appetite lets you pack some major calories down. From here, you just need to be smart. Eat a meal and then wash some pop tarts down before your next meal. Drink more milk. Have spoonfuls of PB with it.. you get the idea. But it works.

So i guess i would like those Q's answered if possible and also a good 3/day wk plan w a day of running (2-3 miles nothing crazy) in there. I have been doing same routine for past 11 months just want a good mix it up w exercises and reps (below is the workout briefly) All b/w Mon-Fri since wknds are always very busy w work... thanks much guys!!

Mon - weighted pull ups 4 sets, wide grip pull ups 4 reps, t bar rows 2 reps, row machine/pulldown superset 2 set, dbell rows 2 set
    Tues - bench 3 set, dbell bench 2 set, decline fly 1 set, incline hammer 2 set, cable fly 2 set
    thurs - squat 3 set, leg press 2 set, SLDL 2 set, quad/ham curl superset 2 set
    fri - shoulder raises 3 set, lateral raises 2 set, bbell curl 2 set, close grip 2 set, preacher/hammer super 2 set, pushdown 2 sets

I'm not going to suggest a routine for you because there are plenty here on the forums and online that are tried and true. But I will say, I don't like your program. I think there is a minimum frequency that needs to be adhered to and the "smash one body part a week" routines have not been favorable to most people unless they are on drugs.

Pete
    Bolded above and wrote in suggestions above.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 10-28-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Aaron B - Music Composer MusicForMuscles's Avatar
    Hey guys,

I eat about 2000-2500 cals a day. I know that should be more... but i want to add lean weight like i said.

My body has been a little bit weird lately, where I haven't been as hungry as I normally would be either. I like the fact that I can get more work done, but I don't want to lose any size that I've worked so hard for either. So if I figure out what's up with that then it would be helpful to the both of us
    Height: 6'1" | Weight: 235 | Goal Weight: 240 at < 9% BF

I create music specifically for listening to while lifting weights at MusicForMuscles.com

Thanks Rich for the help with a few things. If anyone could help me w a routine that would be awesome as well!

what is a good substitute for deadlifts that people suggest? I Know someone is going to say "there is none" so then what is the closest substitute....

Banned
    what is a good substitute for deadlifts that people suggest? I Know someone is going to say "there is none" so then what is the closest substitute....
    A combination of:

Good mornings
    Psuedo Stiff Legged Deads
    Rack pulls
    Reverse hypers

Thanks for that - gonna do GM's and then rack pulls. should be good substitute.